The best film, for you

Been paying attention to movies since the 1950's, so as a long time perspective , there was one movie that really impressed me , a film by Satyajit Ray called Pather Panchali , 1955, a film about a family in rural India. It was Ray's first film and it is a gem never really seen anything quite like it again.
Great film.
Have you seen Ray's The Chess Players ?

Hard to choose one, but I would pick from:
The Third Man
Tampopo
North by Northwest

Sure I will think of another problem in a minute.

For me it would "Charlie" I had never even heard of Flowers for Algernon before that, but the story still echoes in my head. And, I don't believe it was ultimately a sad ending. If you were Charlie would you not have chosen what he was given even if it was only for a few months?

Great film.
Have you seen Ray's The Chess Players ?

Satyajit Ray was never nominated for an Academy Award ( I know he got an honorary one) , then the Academy has a tin ear for great films.*
I saw the Apu Trilogy of course , three of the most important films in cinema. I have only seen about a third of his films, the Chess Players is a great film, as are Diva , The Big City, Charulata and Days and Nights in the Forrest.
it is curious that in the British Film Institutes prestigious decadal poll of the best 100 films (the most important film poll in the world) Ray is recognized but has nothing in the top ten.(Then in the critics poll neither does Akira Kurosawa tho that's different on the directors poll).

The 50 Greatest Films of All Time | Sight & Sound

*The Oscars can be really off and blind at times, the BFI pool has John Ford's The Searchers in it's top ten, in 1956 The Searchers got zero nominations for anything!

*The Oscars can be really off and blind at times, the BFI pool has John Ford's The Searchers in it's top ten, in 1956 The Searchers got zero nominations for anything!

Got lots of media fanfare at the time, but no critical recognition. Now it's considered one of the all time best. At a film seminar about ten of twelve years ago, it was featured in discussions of symbolism. There are plenty of historical references these days about the real life origins of the story, specifically the kidnapped girl, Cyanthia Parker and her son, Quanah Parker, the last great war chief of the Comanche.

Got lots of media fanfare at the time, but no critical recognition. Now it's considered one of the all time best. At a film seminar about ten of twelve years ago, it was featured in discussions of symbolism. There are plenty of historical references these days about the real life origins of the story, specifically the kidnapped girl, Cyanthia Parker and her son, Quanah Parker, the last great war chief of the Comanche.

Someone is making of film of the book Empire of the Summer Moon (the recent book about Quanah Parker). "Making' is sometimes a term for production hell.
You could not make up a better comic book character than Quanah Parker. Half Anglo half Comanche, is one the most imposing characters to ever live. Talk about an almost fantasy life ! This could make one of the best Western films ever if done right.

Doctor Zhivago. A wonderful film that scratches my Russian lit itch. Although The Commitments could overtake it depending on the day.

Doctor Zhivago is good , tho Lawrence of Arabia is better film by Lean. I was just thinking about that film this year when I saw Avengers: Infinity War and Black Panther , I thought these comic book movies are good! But GEEZ! I want an adult action movie with more underneath! Another Lawrence of Arabia or Spartacus , or something like those. (Did have Dunkirk last year which I thought was great.)

Someone is making of film of the book Empire of the Summer Moon (the recent book about Quanah Parker). "Making' is sometimes a term for production hell..
I have the book. Haven't read it yet. Another book to read: The Searchers: The Making of an American Legend by Glenn Frankel chronicles the filming of the movie and the history and folklore that informs it. Well worth the time. If for no other reason than to get a glimpse of the odd relationship between John Ford and John Wayne. If you think Wayne would come out on top of any confrontations, you'd be wrong. Also some good history regarding Quanah Parker who ended up near Fort Sill in Cache Oklahoma.

I have the book. Haven't read it yet. Another book to read: The Searchers: The Making of an American Legend by Glenn Frankel chronicles the filming of the movie and the history and folklore that informs it. Well worth the time. If for no other reason than to get a glimpse of the odd relationship between John Ford and John Wayne. If you think Wayne would come out on top of any confrontations, you'd be wrong. Also some good history regarding Quanah Parker who ended up near Fort Sill in Cache Oklahoma.

The two movies GENERALS met once on the set of one of John Ford's movies Akira Kurosawa was a great fan of Ford .

FandK.jpg

All About Eve 1950. Bette Davis, Celeste Holmes , George Sanders , Marlyn Monroe. This is a facinating film to watch. I love the dialogue . :cool:

Last edited:
Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. Ive seen it, spectacular film. :cool:. The basic story has been used by films like. The Magnificent Seven and Battle Beyond the Stars.

As good as The Magnificent Seven was Kurosawa has everybody finessed.

As good as The Magnificent Seven was Kurosawa has everybody finessed.

In the mid 1970's Kurosawa had fallen on hard times George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola helped him out by backing his film Kagemusha. This our him back on top.