The Last Kingdom: Season 3 (spoilers)

I watched the first episode of this series and thought it was only kind a sort a ok, I found the dialog awkward and stiff at times and the action lackluster , did not pull me in.

His Danish accent? Or his English, which is pretty funny. Though does sound very skandinavian.

Yes, he is a Saxon who was brought up by a Dane in the Danelaw. He has never been to Denmark. However, does anyone really know how people spoke then? There is probably a great deal of academic study and argument, and there is language that survives within regional accents and regional words, but can we ever know for certain? I doubt it.

David Dawsen as King Alfred was brilliant in the series. He gave Alfred depth and us an insight into what kingship was possibly like at this time. His scenes with Uthred where always a highlight.

Episode s03E06 was another really good one. Utryd's adventures are at the core of a great season. I think he is improved as a lead.
I like the grittiness of this series. Life looks rough and tough. Clothes are simple. But at the same time it isn't all doom and gloom.

Last edited:
S03E08 was great again. I think this is Last Kingdom's best season so far. Better than the latest Vikings season (5). It has humour, interesting characters, danger. For fans of Historical Fiction it is a classic.

A solid finish to the series. Considering the characters lost and typically that series decline after a few years I would think it would be a challenge to keep the story at a high level going forward. But I see Bernard Cornwell's books 7-11 have similarly great reviews to the early ones. If he gets a 12th out there could easily be 6 TV seasons.

I see Bernard Cornwell's books 7-11 have similarly great reviews to the early ones. If he gets a 12th out there could easily be 6 TV seasons.
I agree that the standard of the books is good enough, but there is a small problem with TV that you don't get with books.
Uthred, son of Uthred dies and Uthred, grandson of Uthred takes over the story. That would require a new cast of actors who may not be so popular as the original cast.