How to write romance in science fiction?

The biggest difference I've noticed between male and female writers is their approach to character development. If I could be forgiven for a broad generalization, women tend to see their characters as growing or developing, men see their characters as being revealed or overcoming. So if you want to make your handling of genders feel like an author of one or the other, that's what I would consider.
That is a great point, and you are absolutely right about that. I honestly do a mix of the two, but in broad strokes, I think you are right.

My real goal, in all honestly, is to avoid female readers picking up my work, reading a character, and thinking "This character is a man with boobs." I first started exploring this when I noticed that romance scenes written for female audiences focused on the setting far more than ones written for male audiences, and discovered it was related to the different experiences of men and women. So, I started exploring what other areas this may apply... and here I am now!

Absolutely, and I do. I also do some pastoral work, so talking through issues and the like is part of my day to day life. Entering into someone else's mind like we can in fiction, however, is another story.

For the record, my approach for this is to widely digest information from a range of sources. I already watch a fair selection of chick-flicks, having a wife and two daughters, as well as Hallmark, Lifetime, and might-as-well-be-Hallmark Netflix movies. I talk with people, as well as observe families. I also have some pastoral counseling training, so I have broad strokes understandings of people and relationships. I also read quite a bit from various perspectives, so I pick up insights there as well. All of this information I synthesize, and use it to create characters. In doing this, I can often predict what a character may feel in a given situation, even if their experiences are vastly different from mine. However, I only have so many ways to refine this, so I always look for more data in this area. And, the majority of works which feature romantic relationships either have as their culmination a romance scene or a marriage scene, so I think I have a good feel on how those may play out. But, longer relationships are a but harder to find, and as such, I am not sure I can accurately represent a female perspective. So, I know that many have a crisis between years 4 and 10 where the rose colored glasses come off, he gets fatter, and the same strong feelings aren't there all the time anymore. I am curious to see more works which deal with that phase, and the phases which come after it, so I can test my understanding.
It's hard for me to imagine many writers have this level of research and understanding behind their characters. You sound ready to write this to me.

Why not have a go and get some women to critique your work?

If you discover any subtleties feel free to share!

Second (or third) the Bujold recommendation -- the Vorkosigan books do what you're looking for perfectly. They aren't romance, just books about people, and romance happens as it happens, and gets stymied and blown up and has moments of brilliance amidst the everyday life.

It's hard for me to imagine many writers have this level of research and understanding behind their characters. You sound ready to write this to me.

Why not have a go and get some women to critique your work?

If you discover any subtleties feel free to share!
Thanks for the encouragement, and I will happily share whatever nuances I find. I think you are right that it will be in the subtle differences, but those are the ones I am most likely to miss, so therefore are the ones I am most after.

I did have a young mother read through one chapter which features a young mother, and she said I captured the insecurities and fears of that stage of life very well. I am just hoping I can so the same with other stages.

Just write the people - if they’re real it will come together. I have done romance in Abendau - the early scenes are a little forced: it’s not until the characters round out before the romance becomes more developed

The Expanse was mentioned. I haven't read the books, but the series is some of the best TV on right now.

Just write the people - if they’re real it will come together. I have done romance in Abendau - the early scenes are a little forced: it’s not until the characters round out before the romance becomes more developed
I need to track down some of your work... I have been meaning to anyway, but this gives me a legitimate research reason do so.

And, of course, you are right. Real characters in real situatuations with a little chemistry is what makes the relationship start, and then it is a matter of running the relationship through the typical joys and challenges of a relationship. My motive behind the question is to make sure my female characters are real, not "men with boobs" as I described above. So, I will definitely be picking up some of your work here in the near future.

Thanks!

I need to track down some of your work... I have been meaning to anyway, but this gives me a legitimate research reason do so.

And, of course, you are right. Real characters in real situatuations with a little chemistry is what makes the relationship start, and then it is a matter of running the relationship through the typical joys and challenges of a relationship. My motive behind the question is to make sure my female characters are real, not "men with boobs" as I described above. So, I will definitely be picking up some of your work here in the near future.

Thanks!
Thanks! If it helps - when I am writing characters I often act them out to get to know them. Writing the opppsite sex is no harder than your own once you nail the empathy needed. :)

Thanks! If it helps - when I am writing characters I often act them out to get to know them. Writing the opppsite sex is no harder than your own once you nail the empathy needed. :)
SEXIST REMARK #1104: Said empathy is easier for females to emulate than for most males. ;)

(...and no, I really don't believe that!)

Not examples of good ones, but two things that I wish were more represented in fictional romance

- The idea that most romances end short of death, and that most of the time that's a good idea, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good relationship.

- Challenges to the stereotype that, if a couple starts changing for each other (which I regard as inevitable and good), the main change will become more worrying about their appearance and sexuality.

Romance usually doesn't look the way we would like to portray it. The process of falling in love is far more comical and embarrassing than anything we would like to have to write about in a serious story. Generally, writers write around romance, describing the results or the way the characters would later conceptualize the relationship. Or, they will write an idealized romance that isn't very realistic, but is the formal substitute we all accept because it fits our notions about what romance should aspire to be.

I think this is why romantic comedies are so appealing in film - they actually bring more realism to the subject by allowing the characters to appear as fumbling and foolish as we do in real life. See LA Story or Tampopo.

A serious love scene that I think is well done is the one in Bladerunner - and it is disturbing and uncomfortable to watch - but short enough not to negatively impact the story.

So it seems to me most non-romance SF writers tell you more about memories and feelings rather than writing the scenes themselves, which would only debase the characters with something realistic or break the mood of the book with something inauthentic.

I think the SF writers of old were often just avoiding writing about love as matter-of-factly as they would about peeing in a spacesuit, so they simply left it out like we would tend to leave out the specifics of using the commode in most fiction.

For me, a good romance is about a relationship building and developing over time. I often find the earlier stages more awkward - later relationships are often more developed.

I also agree about relationships not being eternally rosy is important - not avoiding the hard times in life. I grew up reading the likes of Maeve Binchy where things were very realistic and people separated and didn’t and they very much influence my writing of relationships. The Time Traveller’s Wife is another great example of relationships that undergo torrid strain. As anyone who reads my stuff knows I do mixed up-confused relationships - because that’s what actually happens in real life. We have love. And not-love. And routine. And good times and bad times. And families. And chaos. And joy and misery.

Why sff does romance so (overall) badly is, I think, down to the innate skew in the genre over time (mods, delete if I overstep) - that more male than female writers came to the fore - and relationships are often less of a focus in those books.

Allow the female sff writers to come to prominence (and that’s still an upward journey) and there will be more naturalistic romance, I believe. Not because we write it better, as such - but because we are more exposed to it in our ‘led-to/marketed-to-us’ books.

Why sff does romance so (overall) badly is, I think, down to the innate skew in the genre over time (mods, delete if I overstep) - that more male than female writers came to the fore - and relationships are often less of a focus in those books.

Allow the female sff writers to come to prominence (and that’s still an upward journey) and there will be more naturalistic romance, I believe. Not because we write it better, as such - but because we are more exposed to it in our ‘led-to/marketed-to-us’ books.
I don't think anyone who wants to write realistically about romantic relationships needs to have studied romance novel genre fiction. Most romantic relationships contain one man, so we get just as much exposure to the real thing as women.

But if you are talking about how to write romantic novels targeting women readers of romance novels, I'd agree that it would be best to know your genre.

I don't think anyone who wants to write realistically about romantic relationships needs to have studied romance novel genre fiction. Most romantic relationships contain one man, so we get just as much exposure to the real thing as women.

But if you are talking about how to write romantic novels targeting women readers of romance novels, I'd agree that it would be best to know your genre.
Yes - how to write it. Women’s fiction exposes a reader to more of that than classic sf.

Yes - how to write it. Women’s fiction exposes a reader to more of that than classic sf.
I guess it comes down to whether a writer feels they could learn more about how to write a novel about a fisherman by reading Old Man and the Sea, or by going fishing.

I don't think anyone who wants to write realistically about romantic relationships needs to have studied romance novel genre fiction.

There's an argument that good storytelling is not about being realistic, but of giving the impression of realism. :)

Experience gives context, but storytelling is about using it to best effect.

And the romance genre is well developed and a good place to get inspiration on handling relationships, no matter what genre you're writing in. :)

Um... it depends if you think The Old Man and the Sea is actually about fishing and not human nature.
By the same token, is a romantic genre novel about realistically portraying the romantic relationships of people, or is it a fantasy with little connection to reality?

This speaks to a larger idea: Does a genre novelist have to be an expert in the tropes of her genre to write a great genre novel? I would like to think that realistic SF or romance could be invented, from scratch, by any talented writer despite having never read an SF or romance story before. I think people's abilities to transform real life into literature ought to be more the result of perception and imaginative use of language than their ability to mimic what came before.

The biggest criticism that SFF readers have of new books is that they seem to just be re-hashings of familiar territory - "Tolkienesque", "like Heinlein's best". Great writing is when the author finds a new or unfamiliar way of describing something familiar or well understood.

I'm not rejecting the notion of being well read and finding nuggets wherever they are offered. I'm just uncomfortable with the idea that someone will be a better writer about intimate relationships because of the volume of exposure to romance novels. That sounds almost more like a handicap to being able to relate our own life experience through our characters.

I should add I read very little romance novels. I’m not saying you need to to write good relationships. I am saying if our genre is full of novels wityhout realistic relationships and romance (and it traditionally has been compared to most other genres) then it might be no wonder so few names come up as good writers if relationships. Also or if interest is the names that have come up - Bujold, Moon etc - and how many are female given the imbalance of visible female/male writers in the genre.

Allow fir a more balanced writing environment and more breadth will appear. Sf has always put relationships as secondary to science - but most of the female sf writers I read don’t. Whereas, as a percentage, fewer male writers focus on non-superficial relationships (which is not to say none, or indeed that none do it well)