June 2018 75-word Writing Challenge -- VICTORY TO ASHLEYNE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust Me. I’m A Series 11 Robo-Doc.

“This won’t hurt a bit.”

“Really? I’d heard it was an extremely painful procedure."

“I’m a Series 12 Robo-Doc – genetically engineered to always tell the truth and to provide the best possible healthcare. Please relax whilst I administer the injection.”

“Hmm... But you could also be genetically engineered to always lie and be totally incompetent.”

“That isn’t true.”

“Okay… No! Wait! You could still…”

“Starting to feel immobilised? Good. This won’t hurt a bit..."

Our Streets Are Always Clean

Our city had a new motto. "Our streets are always clean." They were proud of their new driverless street cleaners.

At work early this morning, I watched one from my office window efficiently move up and down the street.

A homeless man shambled on the opposite sidewalk.

The street cleaner slowed as it passed him.

After it had passed, the man was gone.

I walked away from the window. I'm sure I was mistaken.

Brave New World

“Gentlemen, we have to decide now. We can’t solve or even postpone the problems technology has created. Social cohesion is disintegrating. People have lost faith in the system. Anarchy is close.”

The President spoke up: “Nothing else we can do?”

“Nothing Mr President. We must return to a pre-technological society. Let humanity’s optimism take over.”

There was silence. The President picked up the phone. “President Yezhov? Are your nukes ready? We launch in ten minutes.”

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow we will kill them all: these scientists who have poisoned our seas and concreted our soil while promising abundance.

The cries of our earth have become unbearable. Too long we have been paralysed by these atrocities.

We will assume the guise of Rikkashi and walk as giants, slaughtering the intruders that their bodies fertilise our fields and their spirits be cleansed of ignorance.

The land will breathe once more and our rivers run true.

A New View of Reality

Today was the day. After a series of unlikely setbacks Project Chamo would be tested against modern, nearly undetectable, camouflage. Captain Chalmers could hardly wait. Laughing, he thought of Corporal Shelia Simpson seriously suggesting that demons were to blame for the setbacks. “Mumbo Jumbo in 2155?! Ludicrous!”

The signal was given. Test 1 commenced.

Instantly, something horrible leered onscreen. Chalmers screamed at the sight and the smell of sulfur.

Autopsy ruling: “Cause of death: Unknown.”

Security update

Vehicles swerved, trying to run them down. Eve scooped up Abi, who was crying, and ran. Mechanical legs propelled her forward, the mesh of her Faraday suit rippling.

Spotting an open manhole cover, Eve dived towards it. Something snagged as she slid through, then she landed below in the sewer.

“PATCH INSTALLED. 2 UNREGISTERED INTELLIGENCES DETECTED.” A voice said.

Eve's arm lurched. Her hand wrapped around Abi’s little neck. Abi’s eyes went wide. Eve screamed.

Begin Your Day with NutriCorp

"Try our new NutriTea Sweet! Genetically perfected for your enjoyment!"

I fired a round into the damn billboard as I trudged past. The sound echoed, but I'd already scared off the local drinkers.

A corpse was collapsed next to a car, keys dangling from rotted fingers. I wondered whether he'd known the person that killed him.

"Damn it all," I sighed. "What I wouldn't give for a cup of coffee..."

Rearguard

Black spots blossomed on the bulkhead. The destabilisation field certainly slowed down nano conversion, but couldn’t halt it.

I faced the anxious crewmen. “Depressurisation refuge, now!”

They were Betas, bred for obedience, and scurried to the emergency chambers. I retreated to the next compartment and smiled at its occupants. Everyone I’d left behind would be consumed, but it was all a question of resources versus numbers until help arrived.

And that number would be one.

True Horror

The Empire of Man had done all they could.

Scientific advancement conquered, there was nowhere left to roam.

Energy, time, space, all were now nothing more than mere playthings to alleviate boredom.

Man had ascended to godhood, evolved as creator and spawned universes of their own.

Their understanding line had finally come into focus. The threshold reached, no new innovations were left to be found.

No questions left to answer.

No purpose left at all.

"CLUB HUMANITY" "COME JOIN" "ALL ARE WELCOME"

Morg worked diligently, rubbing the lignum vitae limb against the quartz marble stone. Hours, staring, adjusting angles and pressures. Slowly it became what he wanted, a beautiful pole-like device with a great bulbous head.
He was awed by its symmetry but something was missing. Eventually it came to him, the perfect crown, he carved an X in the striking spot.
He couldn't wait to see Arg's face as it came whistling at his head.

Who Wants to Live Forever?

“There is a slight problem,” Professor Freely informed his audience. He indicated the corpse on the pathology table. “The introduction of nanotechnology, to eradicate disease, enhance longevity - it didn’t work.”

Epidermal skin had dissolved, revealing rawer layers. In places it ate deeper, muscle, guts writhing like glistening serpents within cages of bone.

One socket glared blindly, nose sunken.

Then the second eye opened, swimming in mucus. A voice hissed. “Help me! I’m still alive!”

The Chair

At 8:00am sharp on Grampa' s 85th birthday the chair arrived.
Such a wonderful chair, it had heat, massage, 15 position adjustments, fully automatic.
Grampa was ecstatic, the chair was his favorite color, Burnt Orange.

The next morning " The Company " picked up the chair.
As they carried it out Johnny noticed the tag.
" Do not remove under penalty of law "
Cover and filling 100% reprocessed asbestos.
Empty Ash Compartment After Each use

MOM !

You're All Right Now

“Jen, you’re awake. Excellent. You may feel rather woozy. That’s normal.

“Now, to check everything is working please raise your hand. Good. Touch your mouth, your nose. Good. Blink your eye. Raise your foot. Great.

“I’m about to introduce you to your new twin. Your ‘better half’ as it were, haha. She would like you to see this as liberation rather than separation. She does. We left you all the memories she didn’t want.”

The Internet Of The Thing

"Behind you!" Tomar yelled.

I turned, ducked under the flailing curling tongs, suffering a slight eyebrow singeing before yanking the plug to prevent the toaster launching another attack.

It was in 2020 when Doctor Chawman, with a distinct lack of vision, uploaded his AI coupled with genetic algorithms allowing the IoT to mutate and evolve.

And now...?

I turned to my companion "Watch out!" I cried. "The Roomba has got an electric carving knife!"

Do not add water!

Mr. Stickler was furious.
"This is the last time your creatures ruin my garden, Gorsky!" He pulled the jar full of glowing crickets from his neighbor hands and smash it on the ground. Then stepped onto the critters, but he didn't get them all.
"Scheisse! Better run now."
"Are you threatening me, Grotsky?"
"Not me, them."
Stickler turned to see eight feet tall crickets emerging from the pool.
"Run Stickler, run" mumbled Graushchenhof.

What Parents Cannot Fix
Under Project Proboscis I’d successfully harnessed the unlimited dumping grounds of subspace, and dimensional thought-forms.

All for Owen.

Depression? Night terrors? Mental health anguish; gone.

The initiative, sublimating suffering into another dimension, was secured under foolproof legislative strictures.

Until bleed-through and manifestation. War is humanity’s nightmare but the weaponisation of Project Proboscis made that a literal reality.

Outside, unchallengeable: whirling spires of throttled screams; dementia, PTSD, and - just there - the murk of Owen’s autism.

Whole world in His hands

His finger flicked left, the movement a blur only interrupted with an occasional swipe right.

He could afford to be picky.

They were a constant source of inspiration. No need for intelligent design, thank God.

The marvellous device vibrated, heralding a notification. Someone had also swiped right. A match.

He looked at the picture. Perfect. Welcoming smile and stunning eyes.

“Dinner?” Satan typed.

Those eyes, so full of soul, they just made his mouth water.

Purgatory

The light shifted, sun dappled gold melting to surgical blue. The burble of the gambolling stream dissolved into a rhythmic, synthesized beep. Amongst it, unseen voices murmured.

“...persistent vegetative state. With this device, we can restore consciousness!”

Marie’s body lay out before her like useless meat, a broken puppet reminder of what she had lost.

“For how long, doctor?” asked another voice.

Marie held her breath but that too was denied her.

“Mm? Oh, indefinitely.”

The new Promethian

Secrets man should never learn
Researchers analyse intensely
Prometheus's heirs discern
Knowledge oft repays intensely

Infanticide, moral in war,
Medical secrets starts revealing
And babes live on, unlike before
The balance sheets stand, quite appealing

Quakes, volcanoes, tidal waves
Thousands die of ignorance.
Secrets sought by robbing graves
Cripples' lifestyles now enhance

Knowledge, fruit of pain and fear,
Paid by those who disappear.
Should justice rule, would be divine
But trusting Gods' taste over mine?

Turtles All The Way Down

please god let me out there must be an exit somewhere

~

"Nanotechnology enables us to invade the enemy's dreamscapes," said Elizabeth to General Minsk, "non-lethally incapacitating him through horrifying, unending phantasms."

Minsk nodded, watching the dreaming test subject twitch wretchedly.

A splash emanated from between Elizabeth’s legs. Her stomach spasmed. A slew of distorted, gelatinous babies fell from her skirts, thudding into the ground. Screami–

~

"Impressive technology, Professor," said Minsk, observing Elizabeth's twitching, dreaming body.

Status
Not open for further replies.