Seeking title of novel: Futuristic sci-fi, early 80s. Character called Cat?

FCW

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help me locate a book that I loved when I was younger. I cannot remember the title or the author, but here's what I remember:
  • It was a hardback novel
  • It might have been for an adult or a YA audience. (If there was a YA genre in the 80s)
  • My sister found it in a library in Macon, GA
  • The time frame it was found would have been around 1982-1984
  • It was sci-fi and futuristic
  • There was a lot of advanced technology, in the story, such as embedded devices that interfaced multimedia directly with/to the brain/eyes/ears (which seemed majorly creepy at the time - lol)
  • The protagonist was a boy / teen, and I think his name was 'Cat.' He was a loner or social outcast/ throwaway/ stranded in place or situation
  • Iffy/Uncertain/possible details: Space or a space station may have been the setting, or futuristic earth; possible assassin theme; plot could have involved an addictive substance; for some reason, CJ Cheryl comes to mind when I think of authors, or maybe just the cover art was similar to her books, but I've never been able to find it in her author lists. I think I remember the cover was primarily in golds, blacks and reds.
I have spent years trying to find this book. I hope it might sound familiar to someone. Even though I can't remember much of a dang thing about this book, what I remember of the ambiance of the novel inspired me in writing 2 different books (for fun) over the years. Fingers crossed someone recognizes it!

How about Anne McCaffrey "The City Who Fought?" Anne McC had several series of books - her novels about the planet Pern and the dragon riders, and one about 'brain ships.' Brain ships were crewed by a physical human, and captained by a human brain-in-a-box. Hopelessly crippled children were encapsulated, and given interfaces to machinery, ships, and at least one space station. The brain children were physically interfaced to the machinery, so they 'felt' the air flowing, 'moved' the machinery, as if it was part of their body. See also "Spock's Brain." The book about the space station run by a brain was attacked by The Enemy. At least one physical human, who was hiding on board. Between the brain, the humans, and others, the enemy was run off.
Most of the Brain & Brawn books were entertaining (at least to me), especially the concept!
--Paul E Musselman

It's been a while since I read it:
Alien Blood By Joan D. Vinge

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00071HVZO/?tag=id2100-20
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00071HVZO/?tag=brite-21

I don't recall if it meets all the criteria however it's two books together one is Psion the other is Catspaw and the main character is Cat and they were published in early to mid 80's. It involves telepathy and drugs to amplify the telepathy.
If you have only read Catspaw you should read Psion.
51W8SUJCFnL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited: