The Shorewalker - Opening (Now With Additional Butchery)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorewalker

OK, so for my 1,500 word allocation, I've now managed to get two scenes in, rather then the one that was my first effort. If I cut any more words out, I'm certain I'll be left with just a long string of punctuation...

*****​

“State your business in D’raynar, lad!”

Flinching from the sharp edge of the voice, Jenn kept her eyes on her worn boots, her face hidden away in the cowl of her cloak.

Gods! Don’t stop me now. Not here. Not when I’m so close.

“Just hoping to meet with some…people, sir.”

Her voice must have surprised the man, for he stepped forward and pulled back her cowl. He started, her cropped hair and haggard features clearly not what he had been expecting.

“Not a lad at all, then, eh?” His face florid and jowly, the gate guard was close enough for Jenn to smell the sharp tang of his sweat and the sour ale on his breath. His smile unpleasant, he held his halberd horizontal before him, barring her path. “Still, who are these people? Do they have names?”

This time last year, a man like this would have bowed before Jenn, perhaps opened a door at her approach whilst offering a respectful smile. That was before her old life had been scoured away by fire and steel. Those men who had served her father were now as dead as the smouldering ruins of Harmengarf. Now she viewed everybody with suspicion, wondering whether they would be the one to slip the blade between her ribs. Before the hulking city gates, she shuffled and mumbled.

“I asked you a question, girl.” Jenn was tall, but still the guard loomed over her. “You don’t look the sort we want in the city without good reason.”

The words stung, anger simmering below the thick layers of fear that almost suffocated her. Rage was the only thing that had forced her onwards these last few months, but it would not serve her well here. Instead of a sharp rebuke, she slid her gaze up at the ominous skies, these pregnant with rain, and then to the high, crenellated walls of the city. She reminded herself of what might be inside.

Vengeance.

“Please, sir, I just…”

“Is there a problem, Grandol?”

Jenn’s interrogator turned. A second guard approached, an older, rotund man. He had just allowed three laden carts to rumble in through the gates without much in the way of questioning.

“Not really, captain. This girl wants in, but won’t tell me anything of her business.” Grandol sized Jenn up again. “I reckon we’ve got enough beggars of our own without adding to their number.”

“Well, she might not be the best dressed traveller I’ve seen, but that doesn’t mean she’s going to be leeching off the good citizens.”

Jenn liked the tone of the man’s voice. It sounded reasonable, kindly even, a laugh not far from his lips.

“So, lass, why are you here? It’s not that we don’t appreciate visitors, but we’d prefer it if they had good reason to be here.”

Jenn nervously shifted her travel pack around on her shoulder. “I need to find some people.”

“Which people, lass?” pressed the older guard.

Her head bowed, Jenn hesitated as she felt the first few drops of rain splash onto it, these large and chill. She needed to get inside D’raynar and not just because of the weather. She slid her gaze sideways, across the rolling fields to copses and woods. There were things out there, treacherous things, and she was certain they were getting closer.

However, would honesty buy her laughter or time in the city gaol? What did she truly know of those she sought, other than they were mercenaries and good with cold steel?

That had been enough to bring her halfway around the world, though. She needed men handy with blades and the appetite to use them. For what had been done to her family, answer had to be given.

“I’m looking for the Watch.” Straightening and setting her shoulders, she tried to appear more confident than she felt.

The younger guard snorted, this cut off as his superior slapped him on the arm. The captain turned to Jenn, his tone sympathetic. “Lass, the Watch aren’t the sort of people you should be around. They’re dangerous types, likely to lead you into trouble. Besides, whatever it is you want them for, they’ll expect a healthy fee and…Well, no offense, but you don’t look like you have two bits to rub together.”

There was a time when Jenn would have rolled through wide city gates in a gilded carriage. Instead, it seemed that only lies would now get her inside.

“I’ll be discussing that when I see Lady Blade. She had asked to meet with me, but I think I might be a little late.”

There was a moment’s hesitation as the captain’s eyes widened. The smile that followed appeared slightly nervous. “Ah, well, in that case...” Stepping aside, and dragging Grandol with him, he swept his arm towards the gates.

“D’raynar welcomes you. Go safe and I hope you find what you need.”

*****​

Trudging along bent over, the rain battering a chill into her bones, Jenn ached for the simple comforts that had been stripped from her; the soft caress of clean sheets on her own bed, the hearty aromas of pheasant and beef drifting up from the kitchens, the dappled sunlight cascading down through the branches of the hoary oak in the lily gardens behind the keep.

She held tight to those memories, keen-edged reminders of what had been lost, and for that loss, she had to ensure that there be an accounting.

She had no sooner entered the city when the black skies had finally split wide. Pouring from the rips now came curtains of rain, these hammering down into the tight streets and sending many folk scurrying for cover in doorways and beneath overhangs.

She should have joined them but Jenn had much larger concerns. She had hauled them across the kingdoms but now she fretted on the conversation with the guards. The captain’s words had been sobering and she wondered whether any of this made sense, whether any of it was sane…and whether her efforts would make the slightest bit of difference anyway.

But they had to; it was as simple as that. She was the only one left to speak for the dead. Giving up was an option she refused to entertain.

As she climbed the hill, the lane began winding back and forth, softening the slope. The small, grimy houses closed in. Half-timbered or of rough stone, their unsteady cants almost brought their eaves together above the thoroughfare, sucking more of the dim light from the day. Forcing one foot in front of the other, Jenn’s mood was as grim as her surroundings. In her thoughts, she repeated the mantra that had kept her going through hundreds of fear-filled leagues.

I cannot fail, I must not fail.

Head bent into the sheeting rain, it took her a moment to realise that the street had levelled out into a tight little square. There was an ancient, grime-encrusted fountain in its centre, the water from its spout long since dried up, and the cobbles of the square dipped and bowed, cupping murky puddles.

Gazing forlornly down onto the square were a few tired houses, a blacksmith’s forge - one door swung wide even in the downpour - and a three-storey inn. The latter was half-timbered above a stone-walled ground floor and appeared in need of some attention, its panelling fading, its small windows dim and grubby. A sign hung above its door, creaking back and forth in the wind. The Fox And Staff, it declared, the creature in question up on its hind legs, wielding a long stick and grinning inanely.

Jenn was not sure what she had expected, but after so long searching, it all felt a touch anti-climactic. The building stood quiet, no outward sign that it was what she sought, that it was even occupied.

Maybe I’ve got the wrong inn? Maybe I’ve got the wrong damned city?

Crazed laughter bubbled up in her throat, but she forced it down.

Then the thick oak door beneath the sign banged open. Out into the rain staggered a large man, his booted feet slipping on the stones, his shirt and leather jerkin open to his hairy, bloated stomach. As he finally righted himself, dragging greasy hair back from red-rimmed eyes, a threadbare cloak flew out from the inn door. He snatched at it and missed.

“And if you show your ugly face in here again,” hollered a female voice from within, “I’ll make sure your balls are hung above the hearth before you can say ‘’begging your pardon!”

The door slamming shut behind him, the man bent and picked up his sodden cloak at the second attempt. Lurching upright, he finally noticed Jenn and offered a gap-toothed grin that was decidedly unpleasant. The grin swiftly turned lecherous and Jenn’s indecision vanished. With a turn of speed, she splashed across the square and pulled open the door to the Fox And Staff.

OK, I see you've taken about 20% off the first scene. To my mind, it's not enough. I said 50% in my post in your previous thread, and to prove it can be done, here's just over 400 words instead of your current 800+ -- I've moved a few things around, and added a few connecting words, but basically it's all your writing, just drastically cut down:

“State your business in D’raynar, lad!”

Flinching from the sharp edge of the voice, Jenn kept her eyes on her worn boots, her face hidden in the cowl of her cloak. Gods! Don’t stop me now. Not here. Not when I’m so close.

“Just hoping to meet with some … people, sir.”

Her voice must have surprised the man, for he stepped forward from the city gate and pulled back her cowl. He started, her cropped hair and haggard features clearly not what he had been expecting.

“Not a lad at all, then, eh?” The guard was close enough for Jenn to smell the sharp tang of his sweat and the sour ale on his breath. “Still, who are these people?"

This time last year, a man like this would have bowed before Jenn. That was before her old life had been scoured away by fire and steel.

"Do they have names and decent occupations?” Jenn was tall, but the guard loomed over her. "You don’t look the sort we want in the city without good reason.”

The words stung, anger simmering below the thick layers of fear that almost suffocated her. Rage was the only thing that had forced her onwards these last few months, but it would not serve her well here. She reminded herself of what might be inside the gates.

Vengeance.

“I asked you a question, girl.”

But would honesty buy her laughter or the city gaol? What did she truly know of the mercenaries she sought, other than their skill with cold steel? That had been enough to bring her halfway around the world, though. She needed men handy with blades and the appetite to use them.

Straightening and setting her shoulders, she tried to appear more confident than she felt. “I’m looking for the Watch.”

The guard snorted. “Lass, the Watch are dangerous, too dangerous for the likes of you. And whatever you want them for, they’ll expect a healthy fee, and clearly you don’t have two bits to rub together.”

There was a time when Jenn would have rolled through city gates in a gilded carriage. Instead, it seemed that only lies would now get her inside. “I’ll be discussing that when I see Lady Blade. She had asked to meet with me, but I think I might be a little late.”

There was a moment’s nervous hesitation. “Ah, well, in that case...” Stepping aside, he swept his arm towards the gates.

“D’raynar welcomes you. I hope you find what you need.”​

As you can see, I've eliminated the second guard, since I really can't see the point of having two men when one will do. If in fact the second one is important as a plot point, have him be the one who initially confronts her. If the plot point does require two, I'd suggest you bring the second one in at once and without all the rigmarole of talk between them eg they both approach her though the second one keeps silent until the first goes too far.

Have a look at what I've omitted and see if any of it is truly needed at this point -- for instance do we really need to know what the guard looks like? (And since she's looking at her boots, how would she know?) If you feel it's absolutely necessary to get some of the cut material back in there, such as the worrying about the things outside, or the deaths of her father's guards, then do it smoothly and economically -- you can afford another 100 words or so. What you can't do, to my mind, is bog it down too much.

As for her agonising over what has happened, I'm one of those who like hints and tidbits of information, that I can piece together, so I've cut it to a level that piques my interest. I know from bitter experience that others like to have their hand held a bit more, so you might need to add touches back to keep them on board, but again, keep them brief, making every word count. As to which, I don't think you've taken part in any of the Writing Challenges here on Chrons, have you? They are invaluable for teaching how to cut a story down without removing what is essential, and I'd strongly recommend them as a learning tool, as well as being fun in their own right.

This is long enough, so I'll witter on about the second scene in later post once you've had other feedback.

Listen to the Judge! On another thread, I'm going through exactly the same struggle as you (I've got to cut a sentence that potentially provided the title for the book) but it's doing wonders for my writing. The reader doesn't need anywhere near the level of detail and repetition you're giving. I know that, as an author, you've got a vivid picture of everything but the detail is getting in the way of the story. The Judge has done an excellent job of cutting out dross while making both the story and character clearer.

Thanks a lot...much appreciated.

In fairness to myself, I cut 33% out of the scene when she's stalking through the rain.

As for Jenn's agonising, it was commented by some readers that they didn't feel close enough to her, what she was thinking & feeling and that the opening scene she be more focused on her.

As for Jenn's agonising, it was commented by some readers that they didn't feel close enough to her, what she was thinking & feeling and that the opening scene she be more focused on her.
I think part of the problem before might be that there was simply too much there in the first scene, so that overwhelmed any inner debate you'd inserted. If you eliminate the extraneous material, that allows the same amount of worrying and thoughts to form a higher percentage of the total word count. In that way, and without needing to add anything further, the scene will automatically appear to be closer and more focused on her.

If some people want more inner-ness, and you're happy with that, you've got room for an odd sentence or two based on my ruthless cutting, and really that's all it would need to my mind, since in my view too much here will make her appear weak, which you don't want. But since I'm anti-angsting as a matter of principle, you'd best wait to see what others think on that point!

I would rather see Jenn get in some other way.
She is too strong for fear to suffocate her and rage has served her well but not now. It seems she would not put herself in this place.
I love the characters and the overall feel, i just think the scene is wrong.

Generally good. work that emotion.

The Judge has nailed the editing, give her more to edit. (y)

Remember, it's not simply cutting the text - you need to understand how to get the most from your POV use and character development. Take your time with it, and note how contemporary authors do this in the books you read.

I thought your revised opening was better, and the Judge's trimmed one better still.
You loosing all the hiding in the archway and swirling water is a good idea.

Regarding

"The door slamming shut behind him, the man bent and picked up his sodden cloak at the second attempt."

I find this awkward. I think mixing "slamming" and "bent" is part of the problem - two different tenses in the sentence (and xxxing is often less immediate than xxxxed) OH also spotted that you are changing the subject - so the door is the subject in the first clause, the man is the subject in the second clause.

I didn't read the first version, and I have conflicting views here.

First. I like it. Intriguing character and a setting I could get into. So you gave me enough to make me read the whole thing. But...

Nothing happens. Jenn convinces some guards to let her into a city. She trudges through the city. She comes to an inn. You give away too much yet not enough. She's a posh lass on the run, looking for some mercenaries (I think) and she does some pondering about revenge, about the finery she left behind, but none of this gives any urgency or jeopardy to the scene beyond a vague sense she's had non-specific wrong done to her and she wants revenge. Personally, I feel like the story is just beginning right at the end of your sample. I suspect she's about to meet some bad-ass hombres and convince them to help her. If so, why not start there? We can live without knowing much about her past, as long as we get her sense of fear and drive to hire these guys. I may have the story wrong, though.

I like the use of language and the descriptions, There's places I'd tidy or edit personally, like "she ached for simple comforts, roast pheasant, lily gardens of her keep" which don't seem simple pleasures, more like luxuries. And you run fairly verbose when you could massively tighten things, like...

"She had no sooner entered the city when the black skies had finally split wide. Pouring from the rips now came curtains of rain, these hammering down into the tight streets and sending many folk scurrying for cover in doorways and beneath overhangs."

Could easily be...

"The black skies split as she entered the city, curtains of rain hammering the streets, sending folk scurrying for cover."

Thanks, Martin. I've spent the last week cutting away stuff from the whole of the first chapter...think I've lost another 1,200 words...as this is the one thing that everybody (myself included) agrees on.

I think this is a definite improvement on the previous version. I like the style though I daresay some might think it too wordy and descriptive, but I like a lot of detailed scenery myself, especially when the description addresses all five senses not just visual. So I like the detailed descriptions of being wet, which are especially relevant if someone's not even sure if they'll be sleeping indoors that night, or if they have a change of clothing.

I do think however that's there's slightly too much "telling" of her back story. I think it would be better to leave that mysterious for now. An impoverished but fiercely determined girl arrives in a strange city after a long journey, intent upon some mission, which she's not sure she will achieve. I think that's all the reader needs to know for now. I would concentrate on building up the character by showing her actions and interactions, rather than making it clear she is a dispossessed princess.

"Pouring from the rips now came curtains of rain" sounds awkward, I would reorder the syntax.

I would enlarge a bit upon the scene with the two guards. The older one seems to change his mind as soon as she says she's meeting Lady Blade, but how does he know she's not just saying that to get past them? Presumably they're so afraid of Lady Blade that they daren't risk turning away someone she's expressed a wish to see? But I think that needs to be subtly enlarged upon a bit.

Cheers! I like your take on the descriptive elements, as this mirrors my own and obviously informs my style. I want to keep a lot of them, but tighten them up so they don't drag or jar the reader.

Yes, the mention of Lady Blade could be expanded on...Jenn could offer a short decription to show that she knows her, pushing the guard into surrender. And yes, Lady Blade is not somebody you want to mess with...ever.

I think it would be better to leave that mysterious for now. An impoverished but fiercely determined girl arrives in a strange city after a long journey, intent upon some mission, which she's not sure she will achieve. I think that's all the reader needs to know for now.

Seconded.

Status
Not open for further replies.