Star Trek - Discovery - 1.14: The War Without, The War Within

Yeah. As far as first seasons go, the bar hadn't been set very high.

The pilot episodes of both Voyager and DS9 were horrible. It took me a long time to watch them. I thought the same way about Doctor Who too.
Pilots can impress me though. Suits pilot was done really well, as was Sliders. Sliders was like a mini-movie. If the topic of the show is intriguing and it's like a ten ep series on cable (HBO etc) I'll stick with it.

I’m guessing we are to assume all the crew have been scanned for the possibility of Klingon infiltration using their species replacement thingymabob. Was that what Sarek was checking for (on Saru I think, the old mind meld never gets old) when the Discovery first returned? Or was that just to catch up on events on their missing months? I’m not sure PU guys knew about the spy’s and it was just Discovery going AWOL that screwed the war effort?
If not able to check, or whoops we forgot; can we expect operatives around every corner now, with no one who they think they are, one phrase away from being triggered, unless they’re in love of course. Pesky love!

(Wasn’t that what saved Harry Potter, pesky love. Old Voldi didn’t see that coming!)

^ Actually it's a good point.
I seem to remember the Admiral saying something like, "we need to make sure you are who you say you are...start with Saru"
This would imply they at least know about Tyler or they have seen Klingon agents first hand themselves.

Kirk really should have kept up with these old reports, there would never have been any trouble with tribbles.

I thought it was because the admiral saw Discovery destroyed in battle and so naturally wondered who they were.

I accept that was the case, but I'm sure Amelia is also correct too, there was a line from the Admiral somewhere that said Klingons had been infiltrated. This could probably be one of the first Discovery 'nits' we have picked!

Yeah it's not beyond the realm of possibility that someone found L'Rell's data. She wasn't alone in performing the surgery, for a start.

The pilot episodes of both Voyager and DS9 were horrible. It took me a long time to watch them. I thought the same way about Doctor Who too.
Pilots can impress me though. Suits pilot was done really well, as was Sliders. Sliders was like a mini-movie. If the topic of the show is intriguing and it's like a ten ep series on cable (HBO etc) I'll stick with it.

The pilots for most of Trek are just - not impressive. (No idea why.) Discovery's is probably the easiest to watch of them all. VOY's is so bad, when I went back to try to watch the show, I actually skipped it b/c I hated it so much the first time. (I still haven't made it through all of VOY yet.)

The Suits pilot is fantastic. (Sadly, some more recent episodes, less so.)

I didn't get to watch Discovery until it had finished airing - there was a nifty deal to get 3 days of CBS All Access w/ Amazon Prime, so I snagged that and mainlined the whole season twice in one weekend. XD

For me, the series didn't get interesting until ep 3 when Lorca and the actual Discovery showed up. (Having to read so much of the first two episodes was probably a big part of that.)

Back