NYC Midnight Short Story Competition 2018

sinister42

A sinister writer.
Supporter
Signed up again, since I got to the finals last year and did respectably well at the flash fiction contest. Who's with me?

To get my writing off on the right foot, I booked myself a little cottage on the coast this weekend, just me and my laptop. I've done this a few times over the past year, and it's generally worked for me - I get a lot of good writing out of these weekends. 2018 is the year I'm really going to figure out what works for me - how I write best, how to get myself to write more regularly, how to beat writers' block, etc. Last year I learned that timed contests like the NYC Midnight series (and to a lesserly successful extent Nanowrimo) REALLY work for me, and that taking weekends away to write also really works for me.

Anyway, I digress. Who's with me on the NYC Midnight thing this time?

So, to make sure I am reading it right - the competition assign you the genre to work in? You might get "thriller" or "chick lit" rather than science fiction?

As my betas brace themselves...

:) :) :)

So, to make sure I am reading it right - the competition assign you the genre to work in? You might get "thriller" or "chick lit" rather than science fiction?

If the Chrons monthly writing challenge ever does 'Speculative Chick Lit', someone tell me, please! I would definitely break my exile to try my hand at that! :ROFLMAO:

Yep, you get a genre, character, and object. Previous examples I've gotten: "Drama, undertaker, new year's resolutions," and "romantic comedy, physical trainer, a case of mistaken identity." In the first round you have a week to write a story; in the second you have 3 days; and in the final round you have 24 hours. I think. Or 48.

If the Chrons monthly writing challenge ever does 'Speculative Chick Lit', someone tell me, please! I would definitely break my exile to try my hand at that!
I'd maybe start writing again for that.

You can take my spot. :LOL:

The handmaidens watched as the soldier drank deeply from the flagon they'd delivered.
"I hear he's a self-righteous bore," said Meriva.
Savania fanned herself. "But look at those abs!"
*Disclaimer: has zero knowledge of how to write chick lit and may be straying into a completely different sort of genre!* :LOL:

The handmaidens watched as the soldier drank deeply from the flagon they'd delivered.
"I hear he's a self-righteous bore," said Meriva.
Savania fanned herself. "But look at those abs!"
*Disclaimer: has zero knowledge of how to write chick lit and may be straying into a completely different sort of genre!* :LOL:

I've got a writer friend who normally likes to work in horror/crime thrillers. However he also writes romance stories for My Weekly under a pen name. So far he's had more of the romances published than his preferred horror.

And it's Crime Caper again! Extortion, and a pianist.

I can work with that.

ETA: However, I am dying of jealousy over the group that got Horror, Waiting List, and Editor. :D

Last edited:
Political satire, a scandal, and a prisoner's wife. Think I can make that work.

I've written two stories for Action/Adventure, an apprentice, and a rite of passage. Anyone want to help me choose before Saturday night?

I would, but life has intervened and I ...err... haven’t actually started writing mine yet. :oops:

Welp I got mine in on time, and it's...fine.

Here's my title & synopsis:

satire/scandal/a prisoner's wife

Ceci N’est Pas Un Satire

Synopsis: In a world where satire is dead, can one man resurrect it?

(and YES I KNOW it should say "UNE Satire." I suck so hard for missing that. I speak French. Merde!)