Power In King’s Blood

Narkalui

Nerf Herder
Melisendre keeps talking about the power of Kings Blood and this is why she likes burning people who’ve been called ‘King’ and their kin. I’m certain she’s wrong and for a long while I’ve thought the phrase was actually a reference to Valyrian blood, but I’ve had a new thought:

What if it actually refers to the descendants of the Kings of the First Men who fought the Long Night? My guess would be houses Stark, Blackwood, Dayne, Durrondon/Baratheon and Hightower and possibly Royce too; and maybe an older house from the Westerlands and Iron Islands too.

Any thoughts?

Narkalui, I hadn't thought of it that way, but you know what, you might be on to something. That's a great theory!

I do still think that there’s some power in Valyrian blood too, I’ve suspected for a long time that the ancestors of the first Valyrians where in Westeros fighting against the long night with Dragons. Hence the ancient dragon skeleton on Old Wyck and legends of the Others slaying a dragon (Serwyn Mirror Shield is the Others).

I’ve got a hunch that they were exiled from Westeros in the terms of whatever peace was brokered between The First Men and The Others. We all know that the Hightowers know something that we’re not being told and I think there’s a strong case for arguing that they deliberately stirred up The Dance in order to eliminate dragons thus appeasing The Others and the terms of an eight thousand year old peace.

It’s one of the big questions isn’t it: why did The Valyrian Freehold never conquer Westeros? Because of the terms of the peace...

Narky, good topic.

So why is the blood of the proto-Valyrians/First Men so potent in producing magical results? Mayhaps because they swore an oath to The Other. Mayhaps kings and Valyrians are the descendants of the offspring of The Other and the Hero (Azor Ahai?).

What you are suggesting is... the blood must carry DNA or must be linked to a vow with (and witnessed) by supernatural beings. Correct?

Personally, I feel that Melisandre (from the far east of Essos) understands the power of a king's blood to be more in line with the Chinese concept of The Mandate of Heaven and the Catholic philosophy of The Divine Right of Kings (I know I'm playing a bit fast and loose). I think just being a king, on any level, implies supernatural favor. Thus, a king, has been selected by a god. Call it divine blessing. Because of this, that individual king has become more than human. Sooooo.... Melisandre is accessing power from divine springs when she spills a king's blood.

I don't know that I'm correct, that's how I think that Mel sees it. (And I know she's lying about Lightbringer!) I could be convinced of bloodlines of the First Men or of a connection through a covenant, but I need more.

I think it's less of a case of actual POWER and more a case that the Others remember those men who brought the Dawn and can tell who their descendants are. Maybe they actually fear them. For example, one of my little theories is that Yohn Royce's armour will somehow be impervious to damage by the Other's ice swords.

Also the Starks. In the Alt Shift X clip on YouTube called 'What Do The Others Want?' he looked at the Wall and put out the idea that it was built by the Others (it's made out of ice for goodness sake) not Brandon The Builder. I say why not both? What if Brandon 'The Builder' Stark was the first Other?

I think the power in Stark blood is that they are the descendants of the man who became the first Other. I think the Others can only turn Stark descendants through the male line into new Others. I think Craster is a descendant of House Stark through the male line. I think Benjen has been turned into an Other and he will speak for the Others when Jon and Daenerys broker a new peace with them.

Narky, so it's through a verbal, or more likely blood, covenant. Both sides swore an oath that bound their descendants (even better is that The Other is still alive and so holds the First Men) to the covenant. Blood oaths, Deep Magic from before Time (Narnia), Covenant Theology.... I like this a lot. I just do not believe that Melisandre understands it that way.

Also, the story of Azor Ahai is frightening in it's justification of the god sponsored sacrifice of his wife. I wonder if we'll find out the translation of Azor Ahai into the tongue of Westeros..... Azor means dam... or fence... or wall... and Ahai means to produce... or make... or build... Azor Ahai... Wall Builder.... or mayhaps his name translates to Brandon Stark.

God sponsored sacrifice of his wife.

If I'm right and Brandon 'The Builder' Stark is the first other, and if you're right and he's also Azor Ahai, then this must tie in with the legend of The Night's King somehow...

Last edited:
Well, I've been trying for years to figure out how Azor Ahai reborn, the Prince that was promised,the three heads of the dragon, and the Stallion who mounts the world are all the same person...

The NIght King and The Other are different... NK was a former LC of the NW... mayhaps a Stark, but not necessarily. I don't know what to think of NK. Just an anomaly... or a foreshadowing of AAR or TPTWP?

Forget my last post, I'd had a few (it was Friday night). I'm convinced that the legend of the Night's King is just a mythological allegory for the fact that the original Night's Watch were a military order that served the Others and had their HQ at the Night Fort before the wall even came about. I think they were defeated in the battle for the Dawn and sentenced by the first men to man the Wall after the Others built it.

By the way, I strongly recommend everyone watch 'In The Minds Of Wolves And Robins' by Preston Jacobs (on YouTube). I don't buy all of it but a lot of it is very eye-opening

Back