Shall we begin?

Shorewalker

I'm looking for a bit of input on an issue I'm currently wrestling with. The background is that I'm intending to write a high fantasy epic stretching across four books. Book one is currently undergoing second draft and book two is completed in first.

Going through the second draft of book one, I'm questioning/struggling with the opening. As we all know, this is where the book succeeds or fails...if your first few pages don't grip the reader, forget how marvelous chapter 12 is.

The problem is, very little happens in the first chapter, certainly not in the first few pages. For reasons of plot and gradual reveal, this is where we need to start, but there is no action. What there is is a lot of description, a moody, evocative introduction to the world and our primary POV character. She is obviously down on her luck, something tragic in her recent past haunting her and driving her on, and she is seeking specific aid. We get a single flashback to an event she suffered through, and we get an understanding that there is a lot more to her circumstances than that, but chapter one is really an immersion and a teaser.

I personally like the chapter, as (I believe) it drops you straight into the world, introduces you to three important characters, gives you a good sense of who and what they are...and leaves you wondering what their stories are and where the overall tale is going to take you.

But not a lot happens.

I'm therefore toying with three different ways of opening, giving me four options total.

(1) Leave it as it is.

(2) Start in the same place, but immediately introduce a problem, perhaps an attempted assault or some sort of indignity/disaster inflicted on our heroine that has no bearing on the remainder of the story, but does get us right into conflict. Most of the chapter could remain the same, but this option can bring an edge to the first few pages.

(3) Write a small prologue. This I've already done just for the exercise of it. We have a character who will not take part in the remainder of the book (other than for his corpse to be discovered four chapters in), and who meets a swift and brutal end within 2,500 words. This piece serves to introduce the enemy and besides the bloody action contained within, it leaves the reader with all those questions regarding who they are, what they're doing here and what do they intend.

(4) The trickiest option. I have a second tier, non-POV character, who has something perpetrated upon him halfway through the book. I think I could start with him (in a prologue type thingie) musing over how things have come to this pass. The character and his circumstances will allow for action as well as one hell of a lot foreshadowing and a clear sense of major events/upheaval occurring in the world. The trick will be not to reveal too much, whilst still giving enough to convey just how precarious matters have become. This piece can actually be rounded out nicely at the very end of the first book, an epilogue revisiting him as he realises what has occurred in his absence and how disaster is now just around the corner.

Apologies for the length of this (brevity is something else I'm attempting to deal with!), but I wouldn't mind some thoughts/feeling on the question. What's the best way of opening a 1,000,000 word fantasy epic?

Option 2. The option 4 is very, but if it's too tricky also option 2 is pretty good in my opinion, personally I enjoy a lot when a book throw you immediatly in the action (or even in a situation not so pew pew, if you understand) without saying anything before, sometimes giving some things for acknowledge and maybe explaining them through the book with flashbacks or so.

If you, as the creator, think that not much happens in the first chapter, then your readers will definitely think so! Writers will always give their slow starts more leeway and hold them in greater esteem because they know where they want to take the story and know all the great plans they have for those characters. But you must first convince readers to be patient enough for you to get them there. You usually need an appetizer, a hook. It doesn't necessarily mean writing explosions and intense action scenes, but something needs to stand out. Good descriptions and passive characterization probably will not.

With that said, option 2 sounds the best, but it doesn't need to be balls to the wall. Conflict can arise from the quietest of moments.

Hope it helps.

30 posts are quiet a lot.
I give you an other option, if you need to introduce characters, you could begin with someone that is searching the MC and he may hear the lore of the protagonist in a tavern, and maybe the location where he is now. (in my mind the idea was cooler than it may sound now)

30 posts are quiet a lot.
I give you an other option, if you need to introduce characters, you could begin with someone that is searching the MC and he may hear the lore of the protagonist in a tavern, and maybe the location where he is now. (in my mind the idea was cooler than it may sound now)
I once thought that about the 30 posts... and now look ;)

The Chrons, like any community, works when people join in, chat and get to know each other.

Also - the crits board is reciprocal. An easy first few posts is to crit some of the recent stuff up. @Cli-Fi has a new query up today. I've seen too many to come at it fresh - but a new person could.

Really, if you can't reach 30 posts on a busy, active site (playrooms don't count) then it's probably not the community to be asking for help, and expecting buy-in to that request, from.

I once thought that about the 30 posts... and now look ;)

The Chrons, like any community, works when people join in, chat and get to know each other.

Also - the crits board is reciprocal. An easy first few posts is to crit some of the recent stuff up. @Cli-Fi has a new query up today. I've seen too many to come at it fresh - but a new person could.

Really, if you can't reach 30 posts on a busy, active site (playrooms don't count) then it's probably not the community to be asking for help, and expecting buy-in to that request, from.
I perfectly understand this method and I don't anything against it, it's just that it was a bit against my plans originally, then I understood that I couldn't publish my project in time for the new year anyway for other reasons, so it's fine 30 posts.
(sorry for the off topic post)

30 posts is nothing, really, but it can feel like a chore if integrating into the community is just a means to an end. Chrons is a quality forum and can offer a lot more than just a one-time story-specific feedback, so I hope you stay for more than the milk and cookies!:D

30 posts is nothing, really, but it can feel like a chore if integrating into the community is just a means to an end. Chrons is a quality forum and can offer a lot more than just a one-time story-specific feedback, so I hope you stay for more than the milk and cookies!:D
I'm really happy that I joined this forum, I really like this community for what I know of it, and I will definetly stay here as long as I'm interested in writing stories (something new for me) or just my opinions.

But if I don't get my cookies, you will experience an hungry, angry and puffy penguin, and it's not as cute as it sounds...

Another vote for Option 5, which is pretty much my recommendation for any question that is phrased as "do you think this will work?"

Anything can be made to work, no matter how trite it sounds. Likewise, any idea, no matter how original and brilliant, can be made to fail. Ideas are not stories. The only way to know is to write it until it makes *you* happy, then get feedback.

It could be a cool way to introduce the story with a dream or a nightmare that could give the reader some lore, like a dark past of the author, or a prophecy just to make something happen in the beginning and then you start the story itself.

I actually came here unaware that there was the option of critiques...that discovery has just proved to be a bonus.

I'm running at less than a post a day (although this thread is doing wonders for the post count!) and am instead finally taking my mum's age-old advice to talk less and listen more. There really is some brilliant stuff here, for example the Toolbox thread, and if there is anything I think I can add to, I will

Waaaaait, I'm kinda confused now, for 30 posts it means 30 messages in threads or 30 threads?

30 posts in any thread that counts towards post-count (ones in the Lounge don't, for example).

It could be a cool way to introduce the story with a dream or a nightmare that could give the reader some lore, like a dark past of the author, or a prophecy just to make something happen in the beginning and then you start the story itself.

I don't know about that. Starting with a dream is quite the cliche, and from what I've heard agents aren't too keen on it. It's lazy storytelling (it's practically a disembodied description and usually not connected in any way to the actual plot, an explanation-ex-machina). Also, it doesn't give you a hook anchored in the present to start things off strong, IMO.

I'm not saying it can't/won't work, but I personally wouldn't recommend it 9 times out of 10.

Yeah, I know it's a cliché, but it didn't sounded that bad in my head, or at least the dream I was thinking about.
New idea, may be a cliché, but what about starting from the end or a mid point, something like the Odyssey?

HareBrain, if I understood correctly I theoretically could ask for a critique, am I right?

Last edited: