Writing a sci-fi world of future inventions. Feedback and help?

Maximum7

Science fiction fantasy
I'm trying to think of inventions in my sci-fi world, one for each decade. Basically the number 1 invention of that decade. Here's what I have so far.

2020's- Quantum computer
2030's- Fusion reactor
2040's- True artificial intelligence
2050's- Nuclear rocket
2060's- ????
2070's-????
2080's-????
2090's-????
2100's-????

Can someone help me fill in the blanks?

Knowing realistically how our culture is after A.I you'd probably have sexbots somewhere on the list. This is hard to say exactly what should be on the list because it depends really on just WHERE your sci-fi is or what is going on.

Depending on how things go in your sci-fi world 2100 could be a borg like hive mind, a sky net like system, or depending on how bad things get 2100's could be a sharpened stick.

It all depends on what exactly your story is trying to show.

For example I have a society story where people just abandoned the earth and those who willing stayed behind inhabited an earth that those who left thought would die, but in all reality was perfectly fine and the whole push to get people off of the earth and into tiny ships was to control the population to 1984 levels. Now the people left behind have basically been reverted back in time to rediscovering technology and manufacturing processes on a small scale so 2060's deciphering of DNA 2070 Biotechnology 2080 arks 2090 -- 2100 Society is able to make the first radio on its own for communication between scouts using books from an archive left behind for the first time.

I have another story where nanotechnology is able replicate cells so you're able to make replacement parts and organs that are technically not organic but technically function like organic counterparts. This was a revolutionary breakthrough.

Seriously what is your world, what is your goal in your sci-fi?

This is like saying you need a car for a road trip. If you're going to disney world with your family a good fuel efficient minivan would be great. But if you're really going across numerous war torn african countries that might not be as helpful.

Reactions: Ihe
If you look back 40 years ago, the home computer was only just starting to make its presence felt; there was no internet; there were no automatic vacuums or lawn mowers and driverless vehicles were only a twinkle in the science fiction writers' eyes.

Quantum computers exist in the laboratories today, but they are in their infancy. So the list would suggest we are looking at technology easily accessible by Chris Public (Chris being male, female or other). By the way Quantum computers don't do the types of calculations that the computers we are familiar with do today - so there will be a biased advanced in certain types of problems as a consequence of their introduction.

Missing technologies - cures for all cancers - work progresses on the many different types of cancers. Gene therapy for those with faulty cancer inducing genes is on the horizon for some types of cancer will be available within ten years. But as I'm talking all types of cancers I would put this in 2060s.

The main consequence of this will be space travel, or should I say, space travel with a very much reduced risk of cancer due to radiation in space. So I would put easy access space travel in the 2070s.

As the development engineering cycle takes about thirty years after being familiar space travel I would put faster than light travel, which makes it 2100s.

Meanwhile back on Earth, the climate change business has started to hit home to many people. But it is a very complex business. At the moment, we humans are putting sticking plasters over gaping wounds as far as climate change is concerned. It's better than nothing and will slow the destruction down, but it falls very short of what is needed. Because of the complexity involved I would put the understanding of climate change mechanisms in 2090s.

So in summary if you add my suggestions, the list becomes:

2020's- Quantum computer
2030's- Fusion reactor
2050's- Nuclear rocket
2060's- Cures for all types of cancer
2070's- Freely available space travel
2080's-????
2090's- Understanding all the climate change mechanisms
2100's- Faster than light space travel

Anyone any ideas for 2080s?

C'mon you know 2080's is realistic sexbots:p or at least synthetic life and what I mean by that is the point where the line of the uncanny valley no longer exists. So you'd have AI that might as well not be considered AI or androids who can argue they're human if it's never brought to their attention they're not!

C'mon 2080: sexbots and the uncanny valley.

I think I just came up with a title for something :ROFLMAO:

I'm trying to think of inventions in my sci-fi world, one for each decade. Basically the number 1 invention of that decade. Here's what I have so far.

2020's- Quantum computer
2030's- Fusion reactor
2050's- Nuclear rocket
2060's- ????
2070's-????
2080's-????
2090's-????
2100's-????

Can someone help me fill in the blanks?

Most of those you already have are practically singularities. Each on of them could give way to unprecedented and even more incredible discoveries down the line. I also think nuclear rockets would be discovered before fusion reactors and true AI. Wasn't there a thermonuclear propulsion system already attempted decades ago? (it worked for a couple of minutes, I seem to recall, but memory's fuzzy)

To what's been said, I would add mind-downloading, planetary terraforming, genetic immortality, safe,cheap, and easy cloning methods, a way to revert global warming/repair ozone layer?

I would also recommend you watch Michio Kaku's series on youtube (don't recall the name of the series). He goes over in detail and with expertise a whole bunch of futuristic singularities and is quite entertaining.

My thoughts, very uncertain of course:

2060's; nanotech comes of age - medical nanobots, nanoforges, greatly extended lifespan.
2070's; weakly godlike AI. (meaning no longer understandable by humans)

Of course, given the latter nothing's even vaguely certain past then, but:

2080's; effective immortality, mindstate uploading, the Grand Cleanup of all our trash begins.
2090's; first Beanstalk, large-scale space colonisation.
2100's; population of sapients (mostly not human) off Earth exceeds population of Earth, construction of first starship begins.

However, any and all of these might be wildly off because something we haven't even dreamed of yet becomes economically important. For reference, there was a gap of only 49 years between the first discoveries of Henri Becquerel - and Hiroshima.

One possible source of massive disruption is the reactionless drive that's had a fair amount of publicity lately. :)

C'mon, you know we have Virtual Reality already. The trick will be leaving it.

I don't know the term, but I meant full VR - living totally in a generated simulation.

There's also living through avatars.