August 2017: What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Temeraire by Naomi Novik.

All it is, to be reductive, is Hornblower meets Dragons of Pern done in a magical school way only with an old guy.

But its done with such charm and verve that no one in their right mind would care.

Well, No Blade of Grass turned out to start like a cozy catastrophe, but quickly turned absolutely brutal. It definitely showed good people forced to do very, very bad things.

Next up: Tales of Terror from Blackwood's Magazine (1995) edited by Robert Morrison and Chris Baldick, consisting of shockers published in that journal from 1817 to 1832.

I have finished the King John biography (will review in due course). Rather liked it.

I have begun the Wonder Book of Aircraft, which is from 1919. The binding is ropier than a bondage enthusiast's basement, and it smells fantastic. It's also a children's book but, alas, I think most kids today (and quite a few adults) would struggle with it.

Finished Temeraire by Naomi Novik.

A huge lot of fun but, at the end, I found myself a little put off by the fact the plot was more a set of connected scenarios than any overarching rise and conquest of menace. It robbed the end fight of any dramatic tension and made it boring.

Will now start hunting down the others.

Just finished Zoo City - Lauren Beukes, which I enjoyed, although it did seem to end in a little bit of a mad rush.

I might sneak in a couple of Adam Roberts short stories (Bethany and Anticopernicus) but next up is The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood.

Just finished Zoo City - Lauren Beukes, which I enjoyed, although it did seem to end in a little bit of a mad rush.

I might sneak in a couple of Adam Roberts short stories (Bethany and Anticopernicus) but next up is The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood.

The Handmaid's Tale is one of the books whose buzz does not do it justice. I think you're in for a real treat.

Finished The Madman Theory by Ellery Queen/Jack Vance, which was quite good, and started this, a new author for me:

%7BA0F4659C-2AFB-46BA-B1E8-6C2E0119A097%7DImg400.jpg

Next up: Tales of Terror from Blackwood's Magazine (1995) edited by Robert Morrison and Chris Baldick, consisting of shockers published in that journal from 1817 to 1832.
Wow, lucky you. This is super expensive on Amazon. Can't wait to hear what you have to say about it.

In The Land of Giants. Author Max Adams takes a long stroll through England, Scotland and Ulster telling the story of Dark Age Britain through the landscape he is traversing.

Wow, lucky you. This is super expensive on Amazon. Can't wait to hear what you have to say about it.

Super lucky. I found it at a vegan restaurant which has a book trading area, so I got it free.

So far the basic pattern is clear. Somebody experiences something ghastly which is related in vivid detail. They're not so much stories as anecdotes.

Currently in the middle of The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross, which is the first in his 'Laundry Files' series. A while ago I read The Fuller Memorandum without realising it was the third book in the series, and it spoiled my enjoyment of it somewhat, so I figured I should go back and start the series properly at some point. Thoroughly enjoying this one so far.

Finished Harrison Squared by Daryl Gregory, follow up to We Are All Completely Fine that fills in the background on one of the characters in that novella. Gregory doesn't seem interested in the "cosmic awe" aspect of Lovecraft's work but more the pressure on individuals confronted with the enormity of such powers to work toward their own survival. I have the impression this one was marketed as YA, but if so the humor isn't exactly juvenile and the characterization is pretty good if not exactly deep. I enjoyed the book.

And now on to Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff.

Randy M.

I finished The Copper Promise by Jen Williams. It started off really strong, but it was evident it was a book comprised of 4 separate novellas, and it felt a bit disjointed to me. Her writing was great, and I will probably read on in the future though.

Started The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King yesterday, and am already 120 pages in! That's how much I was enjoying it. I've had this hardcover since it came out, and it's just sat there, so I'm really happy to be finally reading this gem.

Still listening to Stillhouse Lake by Rachael Caine. About 2/3 in, and still enjoying it, but it does go on a bit at times...

Started Crimson Campaign by Brian McClellan. Fun start but started losing interest at the 50 page mark due to too many characters and the stakes rising too high too fast. In fairness, this is the second book, so a ton of characters is fair.

Also just read Maverick One by David Blakeley. Fun little look at going through Pathfinder selection, which doesn't sound fun.

This morning I started reading 'Shatner Rules' by the Captain himself (I think with a ghost writer). So far a most entertaining look at "The Shatnerverse" as he calls it :)

Did you not read the first one? If not, why not?

I did not and the reason for that is the library did not have the first book when I went to look. I've never minded starting a series midway through so off to the races I went. There's a good 4 books at least out of the latest library haul that are in a similar position actually.

Read a bit more, its alright, reads fast at least.

Just finished James Schmitz's novella "The Demon Breed". Alien skulduggery among the drifting floatwood forests of Nandy-Cline has led the sledmen to suspect gromgurru/ evil magic.

Many thanks to @J-Sun for the recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.