July 2017 75-word Writing Challenge -- VICTORY TO JOSHUA JONES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mrs Stokes of Number 73​

It was a complete surprise to me when I discovered that Mrs Stokes of number 73 was a shape-shifting alien from another planet.

However, I didn’t think it so funny when she started putting thoughts into my head, and got me to do strange things, especially when no one would believe me.

Nevertheless, I did feel vindicated to some extent when her space ship blasted most of Ruislip Gardens into hot ash.

Old Soldiers

***HAPTIC ALARM***

Hush. I haven’t moved in forty years, I’m not about to start now.

Ventral cameras resolve a face. Molly’s. Odd – the children don’t usually arrive until later.

I wait for the clambering, the laughter. The reason I stay active.

It never comes. Only tears.

Molly’s brother shipped out to the front recently. He was thirteen. I may not be human, but I know what this means.

I stir my reactor.

Playtime is over.

NOT THE PRETTIEST DOLL IN THE SHOP

"That wooden doll on the top shelf?"

"Rather battered, I’m afraid, yet it comes with an interesting legend."

"Oh?"

"Belonged to the princess who disappeared during the old revolution. A fairy gift, said to preserve anyone in peril of their life."

The customer dropped three bright coins on the counter. "My granddaughter . . . she’s been very ill."

"Madam, I can’t guarantee—"

The old woman smiled. Who knew better than she that the story was true?

Last edited:
Playthings

On the balcony, the king reads a proclamation.

“My daughter will marry Prince Theobald of Kornesh!”

The crowd cheers.

A horse gallops up. The princess leaps from the balcony, into the knight’s arms.

They ride away. The fickle crowd cheers again.

“Time for bed!”

“Awww, Mom, I’m almost done!”

“Now, son!”

“Geez…”

Suddenly, a dragon swoops down, belching fire and smoke, and the castle is consumed by flames.

“Drago! Get your tail to bed NOW!”

The Trip of a Lifetime

The big boy explained it to Timmy: “Don’t cry. Your toy deserves a holiday. He’ll get to go on a plane and see the sand. He’ll send you a postcard once he’s in Dorset.”

A holiday sounded like fun. So did flying.

The big boy took me to his shed. “Welcome to Chisel Beech,” he said, smirking. I’m made of beech! “And here’s the plane—” its blade shone in the light “—and the sandpaper.”

The doll

The doll was there in a pink box on her birthday.

It was there when she dropped it, sobbing as her parents dragged her away. Smoke filled the air.

It was there as enemy boots stomped over the area, firing at any moving targets.

It was there when they left.

It was there much later, worn and pale, when she came back.

The doll was there as she cried for all they’d lost.

Just a Bunny

The bunny spoke of the attack in inanimate silence.

Its bloody paw pointed towards the remains in the cot, its glass eye looked accusingly at the slumped father beneath the window. Even I could feel the embedded pain.

“Looks straightforward” The station Fae stated, too quickly. The streetlight through the window flickered. Something wasn’t right.

I made a decision that would cost me most of my life, nodding towards the bunny. "We'll need a psyche."

Got myself a crying, talking, sleeping, walking....

Dolly’s all mine.
I love Dolly, she’s so pretty and unique.
Sometimes she makes me look bad or she makes me angry, so I hurt her.
I don’t hurt her much, not as much as I could and she knows that.
She does what I tell her, but playing with her is getting boring.
I might throw Dolly away, bury her in the garden with the others.
Then find a new girlfriend.

Tin Man

It’s not easy being Mr Robot. Angular, jagged, not very huggable. That ******* Mr Fuggles the plush Rabbit gets all of Jemima’s bedtime cuddles.

I promise Scissors a new pencil case for a favour.

Next morning, Mr Fuggles lies in a hundred pieces on the bedroom floor.

My ears may be plastic, but it still hurts when I hear Jemima cry.

There, there, Jem. You can cuddle me tonight. Mr Robot makes it all better.

To The Castle

Malini made dolls for the village kids. She took rags and sticks and bound them until they were as good as ones in shops. Old Nan said it was her gift.

One day, men came from the Magic Castle and took Malini. Old Nan said they didn’t allow other people to make toys.

That night, Malini’s dolls marched from their houses to rescue her and destroy the Castle. Old Nan just laughed, and said nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back