Question on Alpha Readers

Piper

I'm kind of at the point with my current work that I need feedback from other eyes. I have some people that I know could provide some honest an objective feedback but they don't particularly read sci-fi/fantasy and am concerned that they will get hung up on the fact that the subject matter isn't something they usually enjoy. Has anyone had that experience?

I'll have a read if you want. Just PM message me your story as a word doc or whatever.
I've done it for some others in Chronicles okay.
I usually read through and then 'nit-pick' a load of questions at pertinent points.
I've read umpteen sff stories for decades so can spot a typo/ plot error etc very quickly :)

Thanks so much for the offer but at this point honestly the thought of a stranger looking at it is terrifying. :) I'm currently working on tearing apart one section, adding plot points that weren't in the working draft but I came to realize needed to be there.

You should hang out and get thirty posts and read the rules about posting for review and post a bit.

Also, you really need to get over that terrified of strangers thing.

However as for experience; my wife is a romance fan and science fiction is way over her head and past her entirely. However I had the delightful experience of finding that my story and her own drive to help got us past that and she was really helpful in getting the thing ready for me to send to the STRANGERS.

What I'd suggest is that if you have someone that will try to look at it that it's a good place to start. Just let them know that if it turns out to be 'not their thing' that it's no pressure and they should let you know.

My oddest experience was that most friends would say; once you publish it I'd be glad to read the finished book, which was just annoying since I was looking for beta readers. Then when I did publish it was like, 'Oh oh, if you need someone to help you revise this or work on the next one let me know.' Wasn't really sure how to take that.

Maybe they thought I wasn't serious about publishing until I did.

Here's a thought, and this will help if your unsure of someone stealing your ideas, send @dannymcg a piece and let him do his thing and you can decide if he's a fit or not.

You should hang out and get thirty posts and read the rules about posting for review and post a bit.

Thanks so much for the offer but at this point honestly the thought of a stranger looking at it is terrifying.

Yep, I would definitely recommend the same thing - and welcome to the chrons forums, @Piper!

However, do be warned that getting critical feedback can sting at first, especially if you think you're going to wow people rather than receive constructive criticism. Once you get past that, though, critical feedback is wonderful. :)

Thanks for the positive support- I had read around here for a little bit before I joined. I've been inspired by the feedback I've seen provided, although frankly some of the ideas and the level of writing I've seen have made me question whether my whole story isn't just lame. (so it made me laugh when Tinkerdan suggested stealing ideas) I've always preferred negative feedback- even on the job, but if the whole premise just doesn't work........maybe I'm just trying to find excuses to delay putting myself out there.........

I'd third getting to the point where you can post for crits here. I've found this an incredibly helpful, friendly and knowledgeable community of not only sci fi/fantasy fans, but professional writers, editors and people who've been there and done it.

Personally, I started publishing some short stories while i was working on my first main piece. Other tales set in the same world that didn't fit my main narrative. It helped test my style and also iron out some concepts about the world. I had my wife read them first, then banged them on a wordpress site and pointed a few Facebook friends at them. The feedback was helpful.

Thanks for the positive support- I had read around here for a little bit before I joined. I've been inspired by the feedback I've seen provided, although frankly some of the ideas and the level of writing I've seen have made me question whether my whole story isn't just lame. (so it made me laugh when Tinkerdan suggested stealing ideas) I've always preferred negative feedback- even on the job, but if the whole premise just doesn't work........maybe I'm just trying to find excuses to delay putting myself out there.........
It is nervewrecking. I used to tie myself in knots. But once your book is out the reviewers get stuck in and then the thick skin crits gives you is invaluable! Mention you are new to it and most people will tread gently on your dreams :D

Yes, do it Piper.
I was at the same point a year ago and have had stuff rips to bits in Crits by many of the guys in this thread. But, it has all helped.
Just from reading your comments here, you have a pleasant flow to your writing. I'm sure I'd enjoy that style of writing.

I'd recommend using an alpha reader - I had one during my largest project and kind of ended up writing it 'for' him, in the sense of motivation to complete a given chapter. Plus I found the experience of early feedback could result in a degree of redirection; the plot still advances from (a) to (b) but by a more scenic route.

I'd certainly put some stuff up in crits before getting an alpha reader. You're right, some people might be put off if it's not their thing, so best to put it in the shop window, so to speak, by putting some excerpts in crits. That way you'll build up some rapport and get a feel for the way different people critique your work, too.

Giving it to people you don't know wouldn't work for me, and I'd not recommend it if it's your first time and aren't used to receiving critiques, because sometimes they hurt!

But they are always meant with good intentions, which is why it's best to find someone who you can bounce off of well.

Welcome to Chrons!

Just remember when it comes to personal preference in any beta or crit, that everything ain't for everyone. For example, I'm in heaven right now watching season 3 of Twin Peaks. To me it is outstanding and perfect addition to the storyworld of Twin Peaks. However, others hate it to the point of anger.

So, whilst comments on the technicality and craft of your writing may be spot on, opinions on content may be highly subjective. This is where you need to be careful if someone rewrites anything you put up in an attempt to help. It's not helpful unless they're going to write the rest of your story for you, so beware of that.

I bring it up because it happens quite a a lot on writing sites like this.

Shameless plug: my Chrons blog this week dealt with giving and receiving crits. It might interest you.

pH

I had no idea there was such a thing as an alpha reader! What is that, exactly? An unusually large reader that rules the pack of readers?

Thanks so much for the offer but at this point honestly the thought of a stranger looking at it is terrifying. :)

I know how you feel. I've done several shorts over the last year or two and just the act of showing it to others can be overwhelming at times. Getting feedback on it can cause a little panic, but in my experience, the anxiety is worth it in most cases. Having someone unfamiliar to the story you are telling can give you lots of perspective.

I've been writing a Writers of the Future submission that is quite a bit longer than my other short stories, but I was able to get some great critiques on it that I plan on using on the next edit, which I think will make it better. Like others have said, prepare yourself for getting the actual crit, because it is feedback you might not expect. You can always mention the kind of feedback you are wanting so that those giving the critique can do so in what will be most helpful to you. Like you mentioned, your people may not read much fantasy/scifi, but they can still give great feedback on content, characters, dialogue and so on.

Depending on your needs:: Alpha and Beta Readers can often be much the same::
I had no idea there was such a thing as an alpha reader! What is that, exactly? An unusually large reader that rules the pack of readers?
::Yet so different.
I Didn't fully understand this until I finished my first book and sent it off to a beta reader. It took some time for them to bring things back to me and I had to prod them finally so that I could look at things and discover that I needed an alpha read first.

Alpha readers can be your first substantive edit on your roughest drafts. They do the reality checks--make sure of continuity and advise when you are making little if any sense and often even counsel when you are using too much profanity.

After my experience with the beta; my wife became the alpha[that brings thought of some sort of symmetry there that has nothing to do with writing]and we worked in various ways where she started with large chunks and then at some point around 4 rounds of edits I was handing off chapters and working on the next while she went through what was just finished. This allowed us to do a number of things besides grammar, spelling and punctuation. It definitely helped to tighten the writing making it ready for the beta whose jobs also might vary; however they need less distraction than the alpha has to deal with so the writing needs to be more polished.

So rough draft stages: send to alpha.
More polished: send to beta.
Eventually send to editor.
Later::
Scratch head and say,'how did we all manage to miss so many things.'

So essentially like software testing. Unit testing at a chapter/block level (alpha), full functional testing the whole thing (beta), then regression testing (editing).

I have a 2 alpha readers, one of them is amazing. She's read my WIP probably 2 times over by now and suffered through everything with me. Her comments have ranged from overall story and character arcs to nitty gritty details like using the same word three times in one paragraph. I think I'm stupid lucky to have found her. The other one is good for general feedback, but his notes are not even half as detailed.

And it was sort of a weird luck thing. I actually had 4/5 candidates for readers and my alpha reader was the only one to keep up! They're all friends so that helped, and I do think there is a lot of circumstantial karma involved. She thinks it's fun (harrowing for me, fun for her) and is more than willing to pitch in so long as time permits. So I'm not saying you could repeat the same experience among your own friends.

I can say that it helps to find people who are either a) voracious readers or b) writers themselves.

If you are not comfortable with submitting here but want to get some detailed feedback, I recommend finding a local writer's group in your area. There's almost always one, and do what you did here and lurk in their meetings a few times until you get comfortable enough to share your work with them. A weekly meeting will give you relatively timely feedback and the experience might help you broaden a bit. Writers also tend to be more openminded about genre, and I agree that you shouldn't only find readers who are interested in your genre. You want to appeal the widest audience possible while keeping true to what your genre is about and going to an experience writers group will help with that. Also look for seminars in your local library etc. If you're really gung ho about it, or can't find a group locally, you could probably form one with the help of your library. They're always interested in starting up new groups.