Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams

But at least The Commuter, like The Hood Maker, was thought provoking -- in the sense that it positively invited the viewer to consider different perspectives -- which The Impossible Planet simply wasn't (as it was barely two-dimensional).

In fact, though at the start I was worried it would be as flat as the second story, I rather enjoyed it (and that's in spite of not being Timothy Spall's biggest fan).

But at least The Commuter, like The Hood Maker, was thought provoking -- in the sense that it positively invited the viewer to consider different perspectives -- which The Impossible Planet simply wasn't (as it was barely two-dimensional).

In fact, though at the start I was worried it would be as flat as the second story, I rather enjoyed it (and that's in spite of not being Timothy Spall's biggest fan).

Cool Story for Episode 3. It was a mixture of reverse Westworld and A Christmas Carol.

I am really enjoying this series! I see people compare it to Black Mirror, which I gave up watching in frustration. No comparison for me.

ED is particularly well cast too. Pleasure to watch. The only thing I don't like is the intro music, which I find a little bit cliched.

The Commuter is certainly one of Dick's more supernatural type of stories, and this episode builds and expands on that. An okay episode, but not outstanding. Certainly my least favourite so far.

I really enjoyed 'The Commuter' and, although I know I've read the short story before, I can't remember it that well.

I can see why some wouldn't like it; the SF was non-existent. But personally I don't mind that, I like an engaging story that explores interesting themes.

I know this morning on my regular train commute I was tempted to attempt to open the doors between stations and jump out...

Yes, I also liked this, but as you say, I'm sure I've read Sales Pitch and none of these stories yet have been very recognisable from the original source material. Which is odd given that I saw an Electric Dreams book in Waterstones on Saturday, that had all the ten original stories collected.

I've seen the first three now. I keep watching because I feel like I should like them. But just finding it all a bit meh.

They are low key, and with open endings. I like them, although they aren't ground breaking. The acting is good though, and that carries it for me. Worth watching in my opinion.

It's just as well the most recent one was called Crazy Diamond, because a lot of it made no sense at all and so was more than hard to believe (even after takinbg on board a huge dose of suspension of disbelief).

For instance, I can think of why (given what happened later) the role in the break-in played by Ed Morris (Buscemi's character) may not have been made public, but I can't see how Ed could know that it wouldn't: from his perspective, the likelihood would be that he'd be being interrogated as soon as the authorities could find him.

Oh, and why were the workers' houses on a crumbling cliff, while the criminals were nice and safe, miles away from the sea?

Note: I have not read the original story, and am assuming that, in terms of plot, the original either made far more sense or the plot holes were "satisfactorily" "explained" (quotes used, because we are talking about PKD...).

It's just as well the most recent one was called Crazy Diamond, because a lot of it made no sense at all and so was more than hard to believe (even after takinbg on board a huge dose of suspension of disbelief).

For instance, I can think of why (given what happened later) the role in the break-in played by Ed Morris (Buscemi's character) may not have been made public, but I can't see how Ed could know that it wouldn't: from his perspective, the likelihood would be that he'd be being interrogated as soon as the authorities could find him.

Oh, and why were the workers' houses on a crumbling cliff, while the criminals were nice and safe, miles away from the sea?

Note: I have not read the original story, and am assuming that, in terms of plot, the original either made far more sense or the plot holes were "satisfactorily" "explained" (quotes used, because we are talking about PKD...).

There is about zero relation to the original story in Crazy Diamond. There is one very tiny reference to it.

Was Real Life based upon We Can Remember it for you Wholesale or were there other similar stories? I can't believe the people on Twitter saying that it is too much like Inception. Inception? Seriously? Are they really all too young to have never seen Total Recall?

The lesbian super-cop in the flying car was the fake reality. How can you have a future world with a flying car but you still can't get mobile phone reception?

Based on Exhibit Piece I think. Earlier shifting reality of his. Is a museum guy who goes through an exhibit and ends up in past/future - reader unsure if past dreaming of future or actually a guy travelling through time. Has two lives. More ambiguous ending than the Real Life one IIRC

Was Real Life based upon We Can Remember it for you Wholesale or were there other similar stories? I can't believe the people on Twitter saying that it is too much like Inception. Inception? Seriously? Are they really all too young to have never seen Total Recall?

The lesbian super-cop in the flying car was the fake reality. How can you have a future world with a flying car but you still can't get mobile phone reception?

I completely thought the same thing. It was closer to Total Recall than it was to Exhibit Piece. But then Dick had a thing for stories where reality is a matter of perspective and choice.

I think it was closer than you'd think with the exhibit being replaced by the VR tech and the confusion about reality and not reality and does it matter. It was one of his first in that vein.

I assume you're talking total recall the film rather than the short which is nothing like either the film or the electric dreams episode.

It's my favourite short of his. Just so brilliant on so many levels.

That and the phrase the milk is pizzled. Which will hopefully be gracing our screens soon!