What cities did Louis Wu visit in original version?

Scott Burns

Maybe this is a commonly asked question, but I can't find an answer anywhere:

In the first edition of Ringworld (the one with the "mistakes"), Louis Wu transfers from city to city in order to extend his birthday. In the first edition, he was headed east, until Larry Niven corrected that in later printings.

In the first edition, what cities did he visit, and in what order?

Thank you in advance.

I happen to have a copy sitting close by.
the party starts in:
Greenwich
but the novel starts in:
Munich
Budapest
Cairo
Tehran [not clear where he ends up because he's hijacked here]
Then they go to New York (backtracking here or going the long way around.)
Interesting enough though is that going this way he is still in his birthday; however they are just starting the day.

The corrected version has::
Resht
Beirut
Budapest
Munich
Sevilla [hijacked here don't know where they were.]
Then to New York which actually is in the right direction but should be the next day.

Other cities are mentioned in comparisons, however there is no clarity that he might have gone there during this birthday notwithstanding that they would be in the wrong direction(in the original backwards version) from Greenwich, which is a logical place to start to maximize the end of the day.

The problem with adjusting it in the newer versions means that since he started the party near the end of his birthday and about 4 time zones away from the whole end.

This ruins the earlier notion that he'd have 24 time zones to before returning to Greenwich to see the final end of the day.

Unless we assume that he'd truly started in Greenwich. And then all those comparisons start to look like possibilities although the exact order might be a devil of a thing to figure out. So I suppose that this way it leaves the extent of the trip up to the imagination.

Last edited:

Back