MAY 2017 75-word Writing Challenge -- VICTORY TO THEDUSTYZEBRA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Worlds' End

“A drink, sir?”

“Pint of best it is. Here? It’s a pub. Was the beer not a hint?”

“No, the apostrophe isn’t wrong. I’d recommend leaving by the door you entered, unless you fancy ... moving on.”

“Oh, no, sir, not dying. It's more meeting point than cul-de-sac.”

“The saloon door? I wouldn’t, sir. You don’t have the … faerie mien. Perhaps the lounge?”

“Good luck on your adventure, sir ...”

“… watch out for the werewolves.”

When All is One

“We're done,” Lydia said to her husband in anger. Time slowed as the pain spread over his face, then stopped altogether.

Time had collapsed in Chicago. 25,000,000 years folded into a single frame, an atemporal prison of now without future or past, cause or effect. She was forced to stare, unblinking, into the pain she caused.

She wanted to take back her words, soften her expression, express her love. However, there was no time.

Peace in our Time.
When the supernaturals appeared, they promised us racial and religious harmony.
For a time all was well, vagrants started disappearing from our street. This was a sign the evils of civilisation was improving.
But with the vagrants gone, other people stopped coming home, starting with the poor then the rich and elite. Bodies found drained or ripped to shreds.
The last ever newscast was broadcasted last night, humanity is finished, the supernaturals rule.

The Fall of Pandaemonium

Explosions convulsed the city. From her penthouse vantage, Lilah watched buildings crumble.

“The enemy draws closer.” Marcella’s white skin had gone waxen. “We must go!”

The building shuddered.

They stumbled down the long staircase, granite blocks rattling after them, the air grey with dust.

Soon, Lilah knew, they’d be sealed in, buried. Time to go dormant.

She only hoped that whoever might wake her centuries in the future didn’t let the sunshine in with them.

A Toxic Relationship

“I guess this is goodbye, then.”

Axel rubbed his antennae clean one last time.

“I'm sorry, babe,” said Christina. “The inspector is coming. If he finds you, the whole building will be condemned. You know how it is.”

His wings fluttered and his head hung low. “I should of have known it couldn't work between us.”

“I'm only human, Axel.”

Christina’s hand shook as she raised the can of insecticide to his face.

Sunset

We all know this is the Big One.

They’ll reach London by nightfall.

I walked through the ruins to Primrose Hill. I want to die in the open. I feel more at ease with sky overhead.

Ian is here and some others. There are so few left of us now. I miss Sharon.

Nobody’s saying anything much, just waiting.

So strange, these last days…..

I ate some chocolate.

I wonder what they look like.

End of the Line

Depression weighed down heavily on Memonon as he hunted in the Boston subway tunnels. If he hadn’t hunted rats he would have starved long ago. Rats were barely edible.

He had no mate or friends. He had not seen Seminan in ten years. Seminan was male. Neither of them had ever seen a child. Memonon had no life joy.

Was he the last Grendel in Boston?

The 7:10 rounded the bend.

Why suffer?

Memonon jumped.

First Time In London

I’d always thought it led to nothing. They wouldn’t throw you in if it were a gateway to paradise, like some believed. Now, I had to believe it was anything but the end.

Legs were sturdy. Heart was calm. It wasn’t the end.

“Any last words?”

Beyond the anticipating audience, my eyes found Elizabeth Tower.

“This is my first time in London.”

Big Ben rang and I dropped into the black. It was the end.

Beginning of the End of the Lies

The final chapter of the Shekergeojismal predicted this!

Well it lied.

It predicted that in the end The Great City will fall!

It predicted "A" Great City will fall. All cities fall eventually.

It predicted conquerors, like these, attacking from the east at sunrise!

All smart conquerors attack with the sun at their backs.

It predicted…

It predicted the predictable! Now shut up and grab your shock rifle. We’re writing a new chapter.

The Captive Returned

They found him, body switched and memories eaten, living rat-like in the London gutters.

“How can this be him?” I demanded, but they were supernaturally certain.

“Lemme go!” the boy howled. “I din’t do nothing! An’ if I did I’m sorry.”

I let the words pass unheard and listened to the music of his voice, then wept with realisation. How could I fail to recognise him? He was, in the end, my son.

From Father to Son

"For you, Dad," the boy whispered into the arrow as it loosed.

A dying scream rang through the quiet town, as the silver tip pierced the wolf's heart. He dropped to the cobblestone floor, shattering back into his human form.

"It's okay, Dad," he sobbed quietly. "You're free now."

The boy steeled himself and turned to the full moon, he had asked for this.

The torch had been passed. The burden was now his.

The City and the End

And here, at the end of things, we walk through the city. Shattered masonry like a tideline along the pavements, the swollen, blood-red sun hanging over the stump of the Shard, the trickle that was once Old Father Thames the only movement. No birds, not even a pigeon. No noise, the traffic stilled.

"Could you have stopped it?"
I turn to my companion.
"Damn it, man, I'm the Doctor - not a magician...."

Northbound/Southbound

7.56 AM, Ted shouldn’t be going back to work so soon after Adele’s death.
A cyclopean headlight swung round the bend.
No one on the platform looked up.

‘There’s only ever one person on it,’ she’d said, pointing at the red tube.
Inside sat a distressed man.
‘7.56, every morning…Never stops.’

That was yesterday.
Grief tightened his heart as it rattled past.
Inside sat a beatific Adele.
He smiled; today’s train was white.

As Seen On TV...

“Woods into the box, past the fullback. Surely...

concentrate...

Unbelievable! He's slipped! Albion's manager's furious! His job's on the line. Home crowd jeering.”

“Penalty! Albion need this... Giles steps up...

concentrate...

What a save! World class! Where did that come from?”

“Seconds to go... Wanderers break away! Stevens shoots!

concentrate...

A bizarre deflection! Keeper's wrong-footed! The ball's in the net! Albion are down, manager surely gone and all with the last kick of the season.”

Why can't you read the news online like everyone else?

I wrestle the gate open and tiptoe around the gremlin stones. At the door, I ease the paper into the letter box. It suddenly grabs the paper and half my arm. The gauntlet buckles but the home-made quillons hold and I manage to slip my hand out.

My round is much worse since they added ‘The’ end to the route. I lace up the flame retardant shoes and prepare myself for number 13.

Sewer Rot Bred

Beneath the city are passages and rooms of darkness and dampness. The creatures that abhor light dwell in those places, away from the burning sun of daylight and bright lights of a city that never sleeps. Those few who venture below are never heard from again, except perhaps in the mournful howls some hear.

Manhole covers are trembling now. New breeds of creatures unafraid of the light are ready to occupy the city.

The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning

‘Why’s it always rooftops?’

Sana stood, lit by the city’s glow, unmoved. ‘I like the view.’

'You know it has to end.’

'Yes. You know it’ll start over.’

‘Undoubtedly.’

She sighed. ‘It’s a shame. I liked this world.’

‘There’ll be another.’

‘Not like this. They’re never the same.’

‘Except for you. And me.’

‘Maybe next time, you won’t find me.’

‘Maybe,’ I said, without conviction. I drew my knife, ready to end it all. Again.

The Wish Merchant

The coin hit the bottom of the well.

"You done? Oi! Don't leave your phone!"

Merrill willed the humans to stay. They left.

Thousands passed the well, once Llandrindod's heart, but nobody stopped anymore.

He clutched the dull fifty-pence; the girl's thoughts streamed into his.

I wish dad would come back.

It'd be a hard bargain with Genie, probably take all fifty, but they must believe again.

A hot meal would have to wait.

Out for the Count

Shadows lengthen, becoming night in the little square. Artificial illumination is forbidden: victims fear seeing their doom; those delivering it prefer working by touch and smell.

I can see both, but have been unable to prevent the slaughter. That ends tonight.

The dark hides my purpose and my minigun, a hazmat suit my scent. I walk to the centre of the square and begin swivelling, spraying silver-tipped death.

Monsters nil; hungry vampire won.

Isaiah 34:13 – Thorns shall come up in her palaces, and it shall be a habitation of wild dogs

The city walks to its death.

The humans don’t see. Too obsessed with phones and celebrities and games, streaming fake life into their not-lives, eyes never rising to the once-distant mountains which draw nearer every day, every hour.

We jackalmen know. We follow as the city inches across the desert plain, towards the great rift which will swallow it street by street. Then the humans will see, and run. Then we’ll feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.