SFF Films with Female Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mouse

I mean, like, more than one. Why are there so few SFF films with female characters in? That's a rhetorical question, really, I know the answer. But it irritates me when I see all these new film trailers and they feature either none, or maybe one (the love interest) woman. Women do exist and they do actually do things. We also like watching films. Amazing!

I've been binge watching lots of superhero films lately and they're the absolute worst for female characters. Besides X-Men (well done, X-Men, you win) you'll get ONE super lady who's part of the team. That's if there is a team (Avengers, for example, Suicide Squad etc.), if it's a standalone hero (Antman, say) you'll be lucky if there's any women in the film at all. Other than love interest. And then you're lucky if you remember her name.

Say there's five in the team. Only one will be a woman. But why can't there be two! Why, shock horror, can't there be three? Or four and only have the one guy? Will men just not watch these films? (Rhetorical, I know the answer).

So... (and here is the actual question) can anybody recommend me an SFF film, superhero or otherwise, where there are AT LEAST TWO main female characters* in the team if there's a team (Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't count, again Gamora is the only lady in the team). I'll happily watch foreign films and/or animated.

Rec away.

*I've already watched Justice League vs Teen Titans.

Mononoke? Nausica? Howl's Moving Castle?

Apart from that... er...

Alien, Aliens and Alien:Resurrection ? Maybe ?? (Although technically Winona Ryder is an android in the final one...)

Oh Sunshine has two women in the team, doesn't it?

Oh (2) Pitch Black has three women survive the crash.

Mononoke? Nausica? Howl's Moving Castle?

Apart from that... er...

Ghibli's great for female characters and I've seen (and own) all of those, but that's not really what I mean. (Soz!)

Do the Aliens films have other ladies than Winona Ryder then, VB? (As part of the team, rather than background). I've only ever seen bits of the films. Maybe I should sit and watch a whole one. Ta. I've seen Pitch Black (of course, Claudia Black's in it! But yeah, spoiler, she dies :(). I will check out Sunshine! Is that that Cillian Murphy one?

Reactions: Hex
Do the Aliens films have other ladies than Winona Ryder then, VB? (As part of the team, rather than background). I've only ever seen bits of the films. Maybe I should sit and watch a whole one. Ta. I've seen Pitch Black (of course, Claudia Black's in it! But yeah, spoiler, she dies :(). I will check out Sunshine!

There are only seven in Nostromo's crew and the Navigator is also female (and she almost makes it off...) In Aliens I'd call Vasquez a pretty major character, but there is also (an admittedly short lived) marine and the pilot of the ground assault craft. Oh and of course Newt!

The Resident Evil films generally have more than one major female character - as the huge character is Milla Jovovich and they usually add another main female character.

There are only seven in Nostromo's crew and the Navigator is also female (and she almost makes it off...) In Aliens I'd call Vasquez a pretty major character, but there is also (an admittedly short lived) marine and the pilot of the ground assault craft. Oh and of course Newt!

I've just been googling Lambert, actually! I'll add it to my list, definitely. And think I'll re-watch Pitch Black too.

The Resident Evil films generally have more than one major female character - as the huge character is Milla Jovovich and they usually add another main female character.

Yep, seen Resident Evil. Love Milla Jovovich also.

Sol Bianca About a pirate space ship crewed by woman. And they are really cool characters . :cool:(y)

The Dirty Pair
Animae movies Kei and Yuri. They do law enforcement, unfortunately their exploits result in destruction of property on a mass scale. It's great stuff. :cool:

Event Horizon has two females in the team, I'm sure, as well. And no love interest!

You're good at this, VB!

Sol Bianca About a pirate space ship crewed by woman. And they are really cool characters . :cool:(y)

The Dirty Pair
Animae movies Kei and Yuri. They do law enforcement, unfortunately their exploits result in destruction of property on a mass scale. It's great stuff. :cool:

Those sound good, thanks!

Seen it, own it! (I'm actually in the office meant to be working, so this is good skiving for me too!)

Sarah Connor from Terminator?

The Terminators don't count as men, what with them being Terminators. :)

Silent Hill is pretty female heavy. And it's got Radha Mitchell and Sean Bean! What's not to love?

I've seen The Terminator films (apart from the most recent one). One female character doesn't count!

Is Silent Hill a scary one? I can't do scary!

Okay, it might be construed as scary...

Serenity has an mixed ensemble cast, (I'm just not too keen on anything vaguely Western, so it ain't one of my favourites!)

I've seen The Terminator films (apart from the most recent one). One female character doesn't count!

You might try the TV series Terminator the Chronicles of Sarah Connors tv series There is Sarah Connor and a female Terminator named Cameron.:)

Okay, it might be construed as scary...

Serenity has an mixed ensemble cast, (I'm just not too keen on anything vaguely Western, so it ain't one of my favourites!)

Serenity is an excellent choice. Mostly because of River .:)

Going back a bit, I always adored The Company of Wolves - which I'd argue is always coming from a female perspective on right grim fairy tales - it may be a bit dated with the effects, but I still love it nonetheless.

can anybody recommend me an SFF film, superhero or otherwise, where there are AT LEAST TWO main female characters

Damn. That's an astute observation.

Alien and Aliens are the only ones that come to mind, and they were in the 1980's. I can't think of anything offhand from the past few years, except perhaps The Invincibles - though that's animated rather than live action.

Guys, come on, of course I've seen Serenity! Shiny. :D (Oh, and I prefer Zoe over River!)

Brian, The Invincibles is a good one! Animated films/shows tend to do better with the male/female ratio than live action, I fancy.

Reactions: Hex
Status
Not open for further replies.