Lovelock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher Lee

Formerly BluePhoenix711
Im just beginning the rewrite on a new young adult horror novel that I've just completed. Wanted some outside opinions on this passage. Thanks for any and all input, guys and gals.

BTW, it's about 700ish words.
--------------

Finn Lovelock was sitting on a bench in the playground when he observed the ghost watching him from the tire swing. She was a very pretty girl, and there was a black scarf tied over her long hair. She smiled and waved at him; he waved back. Roddy Scharf was standing directly beside her, grasping the tire swing and heaving it around as it passed by him. Of course, he couldn’t see her. Only Finn could see her. He watched as she slid down one wooden beam, sitting on the mulch and averting her eyes down to her book.

Finn rose, wanting to speak to her; thought better of it and sat back down. Best to not make any of the kids feel anymore awkward than they already did. Off to his left he could hear his teacher, Mrs. Muñoz, telling Collin not to run so fast. Collin laughed as he raced past Finn. He called back, “What are looking at, freakazoid?”

Finn nodded absently, a habitual tick he’d developed over years of acknowledging when he was in the wrong. Moreso, because he didn't care. Collin was a spoiled brat who didn't deserve a single thing he owned, but owned too much to tell him otherwise.

Finn turned back to the tire swing, but the girl was gone. Just Roddy Scharf spinning the tire swing as fast as he could while Penelope Forrester sat inside of it, clutching the chains with pale knuckles screaming, “FASTER, FASTER, WE NEED ANOTHER MASTER.”

A smile slowly spread across Finn Lovelock’s face. Our playground is haunted.

That very night, after eating a plate of leftover lasagne that his sister had cooked a week ago, after showering and brushing his teeth and combing his hair, Finn sat in his bed with the door locked. The lights were dimmed low; a faint breeze blew in through the open window. A candle was lit and sat on the nightstand by his bed. A giant tomb was spread open on the bed before him. He sat with his legs crossed Indian style, flipping through the crusty old pages.

Something tapped at the window.

Finn ignored it. Nothing could harm him in his bedroom. He flipped through the pages faster and faster as the tapping at his window grew louder and louder. A bead of sweat rolled down the side of his face, and before long his bangs were plastered to his forehead, damp and cool in the breeze. Finally, he stopped flipping pages, gathered the tomb of a book in his arms, climbed out of bed and dropped it on his desk with a loud thud.

He glanced at the window. Nothing was there. Just a lone tree branch dangling inches from the glass, a single leaf hanging from it. Finn didn't realize the leaf was not green or brown or that rusty orange in between that you see in the Fall, but black. The leaf was black as night. He also failed to see the white pulsing veins that coursed down the center of it.

Finn returned to his research. He wanted--no, needed--an explanation for the sighting that day. He had never come across a ghost at his school, even though he’d been attending that same school his whole life. As far back as he could remember he had possessed his little gift, too. Ghosts didn't just show up out of nowhere. And he knew of nobody who had died during his time there.

The book turned out to be of little use. It was good for spells and explanations of a thousand different creatures, but what he really needed was something on the town history. Castle Heights no doubt had quite a rich history, dating back to its founding in 1763. Many a peculiar event had occurred in this town, and many more unexplainable events had occurred, too. It was known for being a unique place to visit if one wanted to see the more colorful history of Tennessee, for it possessed all of the volunteer state’s best myths and legends, as well as some of its own.

No, Finn didn't need a lesson in ghosts. He need a lesson in history. A lesson in Castle Heights’ history. Then, perhaps, his haunter on the playground would have more context; more substance. It was always easier to deal with them if they had more substance--a purpose, even. A purpose they would bargain for.

Last edited:
You have a nice voice and the prose flows pretty well. There are some nice touches to this.

But there's no real emotional depth to it. Finn isn't surprised by the ghost and its appearance has no impact on Finn. Because of that, it has no impact on the reader.

The result is that something that should be extraordinary - or otherwise excite a reaction - is effectively dismissed as routine and little interest. Which seriously undermines it as a hook.

2c.

This is good and I enjoyed reading it; but it's a pleasant mild good as opposed to a strong good.
What I felt the problem was that this is about Finn and the Ghost; but the ghost is short changed with not much more than a thin paragraph at the top then there's this bunch of filler that works because it puts context to where they are at; but falls short because it takes away from the real thing which is the ghost.

Perhaps if you spend just a bit more time with Finn thinking about the ghost - is it scarry is it benign, how does it have value to him and what might be some of the problems with what he's intending to do with the ghost--like is it dangerous[what he means to do].

Maybe some senses here does Finn just see ghosts or do they bring in cold or strange smells that only he can smell or even some sounds.

I think if you could make this about the ghost and Finn and only use the setting and other characters as some framework to build around the story about the ghost and Finn and the relationship he intends to foster with this ghost to get what he wants from it.

Much the same as @Brian B Turner says; only adding that you might get the hook and the stakes and the conflict out of digging further into what Finn is trying to do and what some of the pitfalls are.

Hey BluePhoenix. It's interesting to see because the novel I'm trying to finish has an MC who sees spirits. One thing I will say is the POV seems off to me. It's okay to write like this but the piece would be much stronger if you kept it in close 3rd. This section particularly jumps out at me

"He glanced at the window. Nothing was there. Just a lone tree branch dangling inches from the glass, a single leaf hanging from it. Finn didn't realize the leaf was not green or brown or that rusty orange in between that you see in the Fall, but black. The leaf was black as night. He also failed to see the white pulsing veins that coursed down the center of it."

It would be much stronger if Finn felt his heart race at the tapping of the window. If he saw the leaves and noticed a black leaf but thought it must just be a trick the night was playing on him, mixed with the fact that he'd seen a ghost earlier surely must have set his mind to fanciful imagination.

I gather from the into seeing ghosts is nothing new to Finn, but why is the girl looking at him? Does she know he can see her?

Interesting idea, but needs a little depth as the others have suggested

Thanks for the input, guys! Everything suggested makes perfect sense and are some of the things I seem to typically miss when rereading my work. Not entirely sure why, exactly. Anyways, thanks for your help. (y)

I've rewritten bits (you can check it against original, see which works better), and offered comments elsewhere. I like the idea so far, and the potential. But this needs work .
Im just beginning the rewrite on a new young adult horror novel that I've just completed. Wanted some outside opinions on this passage. Thanks for any and all input, guys and gals.

BTW, it's about 700ish words.
--------------

Finn (no surname yet, leave til later) observed the ghost watching him from the tire swing. She was a very pretty girl, [and there was{clunky}] a black scarf tied over her long (colour of hair is acceptable and useful here) hair. She smiled and waved at him; he waved back. Roddy, his friend (helps clarify and separate Roddy from girl, remove surname, too much info, too soon), was standing directly beside her, grasping the tire swing and heaving it around as it passed by him. Roddy couldn’t see her. Only Finn could see her. He watched as she slid down one wooden beam, sitting on the mulch and averting her eyes down to her book. (I don't understand what's happening in this sentence. She was on a tire swing, beside it? and then, what? a wooden beam? what's that? what's going on?)

Finn rose from his seat. He wanted to speak to her, but thought better of it and sat back down. Best to not make any of the kids feel anymore awkward than they already did. Off to his left he could hear his teacher, Mrs. Muñoz (nope 2 names is more than enough for now), telling a kid not to run so fast. The kid just laughed as he raced past Finn. He called over his shoulder (to Finn), “What are looking at, freakazoid?”

Finn nodded absently, a habitual tick he’d developed over years of acknowledging when he was in the wrong (in the wrong? I'm not seeing why he's in the wrong. You know why, but I, the reader, do not. Not yet. So this is a subtle form of 'telling'). More so, because he didn't care. (Ok. this paragraph can be reduced to *Finn nodded absently, a habitual tick he’d developed over years. The kid was a spoiled brat who didn't deserve a single thing he owned, but owned too much to tell him otherwise*. (We can get to Colin's story later. Let's stick with the ghost for now)

Finn turned back to the tire swing, but the girl was gone. Roddy swung the tire as fast as he could while Penelope Forrester (I'll accept this name as it comes that bit later) sat inside of it, clutching the chains with pale knuckles screaming, “FASTER, FASTER, WE NEED ANOTHER MASTER.”

A smile spread across Finn Lovelock’s (maybe surname now, maybe) face. Our playground is haunted.

That night Finn sat in his bed with the door locked. The lights were dimmed low; a faint breeze blew in through the open window. A lighted candle sat on the nightstand by his bed. A giant tomb (tome) was spread open on the bed before him. He sat with his legs crossed Indian style, flipping through the crusty old pages.

Something tapped at the window.

He ignored it. Nothing could harm him in his bedroom. The tapping grew louder and louder. Finn flipped through the pages faster and faster. Sweat rolled down the side of his face, and before long his bangs (his what??. whatever is it, no) were plastered to his forehead. He stopped flipping pages, gathered the tomb (lol, I recognise the subtext connection, but it's still tome, anyway use book here, repetition of tome to obvious ) in his arms, climbed (well maybe something stronger than climbed. I mean it's window tapping territory we're in now) out of bed and dropped it on his desk with a loud thud.

He glanced at the window. (Glanced? At a loudly tapping window?) Nothing was there. Just a lone tree branch dangling inches from the glass, a single leaf hanging from it. Finn didn't realize the leaf was not green or brown or that rusty orange in between that you see in the Fall, but black. The leaf was black as night. He also failed to see the white pulsing veins that coursed down the center of it. (Yeah? Then we failed to see it also. No asides to the audience just yet,please.)

Finn returned to his research. (He what??) He wanted--no, needed--an explanation for the sighting that day. (Yeah? What about all that tapping? What 'bout that?) {Ok, the rest is backstory, info dump, and clunky teasers disguised as normal text. You have an ghost sighting, and a widow being tapped. Loudly. Then we get backstory? Nope. This is not workable as is Blue. The mistake you're making is assuming we know stuff we don't, and also, in apparent contradiction, telling us stuff we don't need to know, certainly not right now. For now, we want to know about this ghost, and we definitely want a resolution regarding loud window tapping. A 'lone branch dangling' is not enough. I'd suggest you keep in the moment. As always, less is more, in both words used and info given. In the second scene you can tell us about Colin or the history of the town or whatever. You certainly can't do it with such a arresting opening.}

He had never come across a ghost at his school, even though he’d been attending that same school his whole life. As far back as he could remember he had possessed his little gift, too. Ghosts didn't just show up out of nowhere. And he knew of nobody who had died during his time there.

The book turned out to be of little use. It was good for spells and explanations of a thousand different creatures, but what he really needed was something on the town history. Castle Heights no doubt had quite a rich history, dating back to its founding in 1763. Many a peculiar event had occurred in this town, and many more unexplainable events had occurred, too. It was known for being a unique place to visit if one wanted to see the more colorful history of Tennessee, for it possessed all of the volunteer state’s best myths and legends, as well as some of its own.

No, Finn didn't need a lesson in ghosts. He need a lesson in history. A lesson in Castle Heights’ history. Then, perhaps, his haunter on the playground would have more context; more substance. It was always easier to deal with them if they had more substance--a purpose, even. A purpose they would bargain for.

Last edited:
Firstly, really smoothly written and good to read!

I felt that Finn's reaction was probably enough for this stage. His lack of reaction to the ghost is kind of the point really, isn't it? Maybe more of a reaction to the other kids, but tbh I don't think its essential. Actually, perhaps more confusion from Finn on seeing the ghost there and then would be a good idea, to set up his later research scene.

And the black leaf, I'm with Ratsy on that one. I think have him consider briefly that it is black, but dismiss it as the light would be a better way of introducing that, rather than to throw it to us the readers so casually.

I'd consider altering the following too:

As far back as he could remember he had possessed his little gift, too. Ghosts didn't just show up out of nowhere.

Instead, try:

He'd possessed his little gift for as long as he could remember and he knew that ghosts didn't just show up out of nowhere.

Just a little easier to read for me!

Anyway, an interesting start with a good voice and a couple of good hooks! Good luck with the rest :)

Thanks everyone for the advice. Taking everything well into consideration. I'm going to tighten up the prose to a more secluded third person limited, as well, not so much of an omniscient feel.

And you read the beginning as I intended it to be, reaper. His relaxed attitude at seeing the ghost is exactly the point. He's seen them before so it's nothing new for him. Perhaps for the reader, it is.

But yes, something that further prompts him into his research would do.

Thanks again, everyone. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Brian G Turner Obituaries 3