Novella Opening (1200 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Jones

Der Vater absurder Geschichten
Supporter
I'm taking a break from my main WIP as it's causing me grief, so for a little relief I've started a new novella. This is the third in a series of novellas I want to publish on the theme of modern urban mythology and magical realism in major global cities. This one is set in Madrid, and is presently untitled.

Would love to know what's working, what's not working. Fire away.

~

Dear Emma,

By now you’ll doubtless be racking your limited imagination for ways in which to weedle Great Aunty Baby’s secret hiding locations for her inheritance from her increasingly dribbling daydreams. I can bear the tragicomic scene in my head no longer; please desist from your fruitless interrogation of the mad old bat. Once I discovered the whereabouts of the great wad of cash I took the whole sorry lot and carted myself away from the dark Satanic skyscrapers of London as fast as public transport would allow. God bless her senile and utterly understandable mistrust of banks!

Feeling the jouissance of the fugitive coursing through me, I stuffed the whole lot in a suitcase, along with my sketchpad and pencils and a few other essentials, and took it to the Eurostar at St Pancras; as I suspected, the glassy-eyed automata didn’t take a second glance when I popped it through the scanning thingamawotsits at the station. They remind me, with their perm-agog mouths and proficiency in neither English nor French, of those monsters from that TV show we used to watch, the one about the dead rising from their graves for God-knows-what reason. Christ, but can you imagine the groaning hordes of the jobsworth junta breaking free from the train station and running amok? Another reason to get out of that God-forsaken city. London’s a bloody fire hazard.

Others might apologise at this point for the whole abandonment thing, but I’m past that, old girl. I can withhold the reason no longer: you broke my heart, Emma, not once, not twice, but in ways too innumerable to count. Don’t blame yourself. It’s me. I’m a damned coward. Rather than have it out with you, I took the money and ran. I know I said we’d spend Great Aunty Baby’s cash on island-hopping in Thailand, and on our own Grenache vines in the Dordogne, and on sacks of Pyrenees duck fat so we might make our own Foie Gras and eat ourselves to a hideous, glorious death, but frankly, the thought of all that fills me with the sort of singular dread usually confined to ISIS’s closet homosexuals.

I am consumed by grief for what once was, and shame for not fighting for it, and rage at my many humiliations, and sadness that you never once realised it. Perhaps now I’ve gone you will understand. Perhaps not.

So I’ve retreated to Madrid. That’s the one in Spain, not Alabama. I confess, it’s not particularly imaginative of me, but it’ll do. And despite your misgivings about my being poor judge of character, I predict I know enough about you that Madrid will provide sufficient time and distance for me to drink myself to death before even you can summon the will to abandon Great Aunty Baby to a slow, unpleasant death of starvation and an unwiped arse. And then, once I am gone, you’ll have no need of the inheritance anyway, unless you’ve taken up with one of those fancy boys you so like.

So far my desires have not been fully sated. I intended that blow the cash orgasmically, licking Chateua d’Yquem off the nipples of the sort of prostitutes normally to be found in Saudi oil palaces, but alas, the resources of Eurostar were not commensurate with my aspirations, and I had to make do with a vile bottle of beetroot-coloured limescale remover (apparently grown in the Barossa!) and a packet of oversized cardboard pills that tasted of salted feet. Worse still, the cardboard feet things made me yearn ever more for the beetroot limescale remover. And that was in Standard Premier! I stayed off the poisonous plonk after that, deciding that if a glorious, bibulous end were to be mine, I should at least procrastinate in favour of something worth dying for. I changed trains at Paris and headed south through a grey France in an almighty, half-sober huff. Tried sketching some of my predictably tiresome and empty-headed carriage companions, but they all ended up looking like Magritte’s Son Of Man, only I was more interested in the apple. Armed with only pencil, it’s beyond even my ken to capture the soul of an obese financier drinking battery acid on expenses. I might as well cut paper angels out of a copy of the FT.

The clouds dissipated as soon as I arrived in Madrid, in more way than one. See, the queerest thing happened to me, which is what compelled me to write to you.

First port of call was the winery at Salamanca, where I relieved the aching burden upon my pockets by a few grams by sampling a bottle of 1997 Rioja Gran Riserva, which went some way to dispelling the rank finish of the limescale remover. I thanked the portly owner of the emporium by parting ways with another hundred Euros for a bottle of Jerez blanca, as dry as a witch’s gash stuffed with woodlouse husks, decanted it into three hip flasks, and set off to the Museo del Prado. Unlike the Eurostar, the pinch-faced wombles on security actually collectively formulated the gumption to query me about my hip flasks (as I suspected, the art world seeks a better class of security ape to guard its treasures than the boxcar monkeys attending public transport), and smiled when I offered them a taste of the good stuff. I withered my way through the triptychs of Bosch, always amusing, the frescoes of Fra Angelico - important, but tiresome - and the divine portraits of Raphael - and made merry my way to Room 67, slumped myself down on the bench int he centre and began sketching. At first I lazily sketched some of the tourists flitting in and out, smiling, stalling, attempting to think, and as the Jerez took effect, I began sketching the black space around the tourists; the room itself became my sketch, while the tourists were just blank areas of paper, flitting impressionistically with hints of movement, while it was the room I allowed to breathe. I took a moment to blink, pinched the bridge of my nose, and heard a loose, rattling cough behind me.

At first I didn’t react, and continued my sketch, but after a second a voice called over my shoulder, “Es un cliché que haces negro el foco de tú boceto en salon 67. Pero, ¿es el negro el salon, o tú mismo?”

Without turning I gritted my teeth, shook my head and hid a disgusted half-smile at the old fart’s tired and unwanted analysis. “No hablo español,” I lied.

“Inglés?”

I let out a curt laugh at the old man’s tenacity, turned around to admonish him, and to my surprise found the words caught in my throat. Would it shock you, Em, dear old thing, to learn that standing there, observing my sketches and commenting on the cliché of my work was none other than Edouardo Bosques. Don’t let the sheer envy of the whole thing make you choke on your Capstans, Em, old fruit, but it’s true. Large as still life. I struggled for some words, but - oh, the horror of it! - made a humiliating sort of clucking noise, as if I were the one choking.

This is going to be a long letter! Well, it has great voice, but I can't say it sounds contemporary. You also lose all dramatic tension since we know he's safe enough to write a long-winded yarn, but it can appeal in other ways. Definitely an interesting approach.

I'm not sure why but it made me think of Graham Greene,** and despite the nods to modern life, to me it felt very of the Greene-ish era of the 1950s/60s, and not at all realistic, even though we don't appear to have got to the surreal/magic realism bit yet.

It's certainly entertaining in a campy-bitchy way, but for me the voice isn't one I could read other than in small doses, since for my taste it's far too OTT. To be frank, for me it's verging on self-indulgent -- you're having a blast writing it, and that enjoyment is more important than actually getting on with the story.

I can see why you've chosen to do it as a letter, since it allows for this first person bitchiness, but I can't believe anyone, even an egotistical prat of this kind, would possibly write a letter like this nowadays. However, I think it would work as a taped or video'd "letter" or something done via webcam where he's just spewing forth his witticisms and bile, so that might be worth considering. On a pernickity point, does Emma understand Spanish? Because you might want to have him translate what's said for her. Actually he's the type who'd translate it even knowing she has understood it, in a typical mansplaining way.

I won't nit-pick, other than to wonder about his being able to carry vast quantities of cash into or out of countries. I've never tried it, but everyone is so hysterical about money-laundering, I'd be surprised if he really is just waved through everywhere -- but I bow to your superior experience on that score...

Overall, not one for me, but certain to raise a lot of smiles. Good luck with it.

** It's also reminding me of a novel I read years ago and can't bring either author or title to mind at the moment -- egocentric bitchy old male, living abroad somewhere like Italy or the South of France who is writing a cookery book (at the behest of a young woman he's trying to get into bed?) and among the snide asides from the (real) recipes it becomes clear he's left behind a trail of corpses. Very clever writing, but utterly controlled.

EDIT: author and title just came to me -- John Lanchester, The Debt to Pleasure. Well worth a read.

Last edited:
By contrast to TJ's Graham Greene it reminded me of PG Wodehouse. I'm not sure I've ever read anything post-1950s which used the word 'queer' in that sense, either.

It's a stylish exercise, certainly, but as a reader I think novella-length would be a big test for me - it seems better suited to a playful short story.

I thought you might be channelling Timothy Cavendish, since you've just read Cloud Atlas. I quite like the voice, though a whole novella of it might be a bit much. I wonder, though, if it would work better as a normal first-person narrative where he doesn't have so much scope for digression and literary flouncing about, which this is rather full of.

Where do you think the hook is in this? If it's not in the voice itself, then it must be in the line of Spanish (which I can't understand except with Google translate) or the fact that he meets Edouardo Bosques (who I don't think I've ever heard of) both of which are quite late on. I think that's what's lacking. I found myself increasingly skimming it trying to find something to hang onto. I'm really not sure the letter form is your friend here.

But as I said, the voice could work well in different circumstances. I didn't feel that it couldn't belong to a modern person (or "modern" in the sense of living now, at least, if they were of the right class and type).

Thanks all. It's tricky, because I'm fully aware of the anachronistic problems of having Emmanuel writing actual letters, but the fact that he's writing on paper becomes relevant later on. He also has... a few problems with reality and identity, let's say, which is another reason why I think the personal approach of a letter seems to work thematically, but that's no good if it doesn't work for the reader.

@The Judge, I do like the idea of having him do a video blog, but any medium other than paper just wouldn't work. I thought writing him as a sort of pretentious throwback might get around that, but perhaps not. You're right inasmuch as I'm enjoying writing it, which as you know I needed right about now. So even if it doesn't work, it might be worth doing it just to let off some writing steam and take a break from the WIP.

I'm not sure I've ever read anything post-1950s which used the word 'queer' in that sense, either.
Indeed, as I said, he's a throwback. "Old fruit" is another phrase that is well past its use-by-date.

@HareBrain I wasn't intentionally channelling Cavendish, although I admit there is a whiff of Robert Forbisher about Emmanuel. Re: the hook, yes it's the fact that he meets this Edouardo chap, who is one of his heroes. Might be that I have to do quite a lot of hefting and editing later on. But it's a first draft, and flab is an unfortunate characteristic of some of my first drafts.

Well much as i like a good witty, bitchy rant, for therapeutic release if nothing else, in terms of story, the standard rules still apply. Sympathy for the MC, or at least some sustainable connection. However, as it's early days, that might come into being. As it stands, it's a bit alienating. Will await second installment...

The concept of an old-fashioned fruitcake who's gone a bit nuts, stolen some money, gone on the run and written a letter to taunt someone about it works for me. I'm interested in what makes him tick.

The hook there seems loud and clear to me. He's taken Great-Aunt Baby's money and gone "Ner ner, whatchoo gonna do about it?"

I'm afraid the voice doesn't work for me at the moment as there's too many barbs and most of them feel a bit laboured. It feels a bit like work to get through. It also feels a bit uneven, veering between crudity and this very mannered approach. Possibly intentional? Not sure if it works.

I second the feel of this being too over-the-top (plenty of "glorious/orgasmically/almighty..."), although I did enjoy deciphering the writing, but yeah, I don't think I could read this for more than a page or two. It's very eye-catching and does elicit a vague feeling of "wow", but it's exhausting to read. I also agree it's not really modern.

I also don't understand why he insults Emma repeatedly while at the same time blaming himself apologetically for what happened, so his feelings towards her confuse me.

the thought of all that fills me with the sort of singular dread usually confined to ISIS’s closet homosexuals.
This came out of nowhere and I'm not sure it fits in well with anything else in the story. Impactful it is, I'll give you that.
I intended that blow the cash orgasmically
to
1997 Rioja Gran Riserva
Reserva
Jerez blanca
blanco
“Es un cliché que haces negro el foco de tú boceto en salon 67. Pero, ¿es el negro el salon, o tú mismo?”
I speak Spanish and this line is not quite there. Try: "Vaya cliche el de llenar de negro un boceto en esta habitacion. ¿De donde viene tanta negrura? ¿De la habitacion o de ti mismo? ("What a cliche it is to fill a sketch with black in this room. Where is all this blackness coming from? The room, or yourself?"). Mentioning the room by number reads very awkward in Spanish, at least with that sentence structure. Also, I added "blackness" (negrura), but you could interchange it with darkness (oscuridad). Notice I didn't bother with marking the accents because it takes me forever.--Feel free to drop me a line if you want anything else translated. I wouldn't mind as long as it's not too long :).
Edouardo Bosques
Who? I tried looking him up but nothing worthwhile comes up. If this guy exists, he is too niche to carry any real revelatory impact at the scene's end. Also, if this man is Spanish, it'd be Eduardo, without the "o". If he's French or Italian (maybe Portuguese), I guess you can keep it as is.

Overall, the MC is an extreme brand of decadent, wimpy, snobbish, pompous, and dismissive. If everything else in the excerpt were catered to my tastes, I still wouldn't keep reading, solely because of how much I dislike the MC, which in itself I guess is an artistic success, getting a reader to hate an MC so quickly :D:D. But he really doesn't seem to have a redeemable quality. He's kinda an anti-hook, and anything interesting he might be saying gets lost in all the purpleness.

Status
Not open for further replies.