Austin Macauley Publishers accepting subs.

OMG oops, sorry, they sounded legit when I clicked the ad. Just ignore this one then.

On that same token, I didn't look them up any further than looking at their website, which mentioned nothing that sounded vanity publishery. Oh well. Nevermind. I did think after the post that I should check preditors and editors, but I'd already posted by then...

I also think it's worth noting that sites like LuLu and amazon's CreateSpace are also vanity publishers, in my view anyway. Anything where you're paying a fee to have your book in physical form is vanity publishing, even if it goes by a different name (I'm looking at you Print on Demand).

OMG oops, sorry, they sounded legit when I clicked the ad. Just ignore this one then.

On that same token, I didn't look them up any further than looking at their website, which mentioned nothing that sounded vanity publishery. Oh well. Nevermind. I did think after the post that I should check preditors and editors, but I'd already posted by then...

I also think it's worth noting that sites like LuLu and amazon's CreateSpace are also vanity publishers, in my view anyway. Anything where you're paying a fee to have your book in physical form is vanity publishing, even if it goes by a different name (I'm looking at you Print on Demand).
I'll deal with these separately as it is important, on a public forum, to be clear and accurate:

Vanity publishers are often very good at making themselves not look like a vanity publisher on first glance. It is how they get their business.

Vanity publishers are places that charge you to produce and publish your book, which you could also do free. They charge you an amount of money for books and services, you do not produce the product and you will not gain any profit from selling it.

Print on demand is ENTIRELY different and in no way vanity publishing, or linked to it. You pay nothing to a POD publisher unless you purchase copies (lightning source is different as they distribute the book wider and have some set up costs). You purchase copies at cost and sell for your own, chosen, retail price. This is what authors have been doing with book printers for years - and no one calls approaching a private printer and paying to have your book produced for an agreed cost price vanity publishing. They call that self publishing.

So, to be clear: vanity publishing requires you to give money to a company to produce a product that they gain profit from. They charge for services such as editorial input, cover design, production costs and lots of other lovelies.

Print on demand services require you to pay to produce physical copies of a book you have produced, had edited, had a cover designed for. They charge a fair cost price, comparable to most printers.

The key difference is one charges a fee for services, one charges a cost for an agreed product.

So, essentially if you want physical copies of your book to sell onto others at a retail place you have to pay, doesn't matter how small of a fee it is, you're still paying that fee to have the physical copies in your hand that you can then sell on to others.

It may not seem like it's vanity publishing, because it doesn't dress itself the same way; but to me that's exactly what it is because you're still paying a fee to have those copies.

Sure, you make more money off it and all; but to me traditional publishing beats all and always will.

I will never believe that self publishing is the better route.

On this I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Self publishing just isn't for me. I'd rather go the traditional route.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Vanity publishing usually requires a fee upfront. A service such as Createspace doesn't, but instead there is a charge per book taken out of the receipts.

However, there's always been a blurred distinction between Vanity and Self-Publishing. I suspect it's readers who make the final decision on that. :)

you're still paying that fee to have the physical copies in your hand that you can then sell on to others.

Many contracts with traditional publishers allow the author to purchase copies at, say, 50% of the cover price, which they can then sell at conventions etc (and make more money per copy than they would get in royalties). By your definition, that part of the deal would be vanity publishing as well.

Many contracts with traditional publishers allow the author to purchase copies at, say, 50% of the cover price, which they can then sell at conventions etc (and make more money per copy than they would get in royalties). By your definition, that part of the deal would be vanity publishing as well.

Yes I was going to make this point. The author does not get free copies (outside of a small amount contracted for - usually 3-5) anywhere. If you want a copy of your book to sell on you pay someone somewhere. (And publisher discounted copies may be pricier than POD for the author.)

for the record, I'm mostly trad in my approach - so I'm not trying to convince @VKALFIERI - of anyone - of anything ;) but it is important to know the business models to protect yourself as a writer.

So, essentially if you want physical copies of your book to sell onto others at a retail place you have to pay, doesn't matter how small of a fee it is, you're still paying that fee to have the physical copies in your hand that you can then sell on to others.

It may not seem like it's vanity publishing, because it doesn't dress itself the same way; but to me that's exactly what it is because you're still paying a fee to have those copies.

How would you propose to get free print copies of your book from anywhere? Even if you printed it from your own computer, you'd be paying for paper, ink and binding supplies.

I also think it's worth noting that sites like LuLu and amazon's CreateSpace are also vanity publishers
Don't agree. You get what you pay for and, at comparable quantity / quality it's little different to a local printer albeit you have far more control over formatting. POD users are micro-publishers. They buy enough for local events, conventions, bookshops, libraries - even writing groups; say 20 copies - maybe 50 - certainly too few to bother with traditional printers.
If it's not for you, that's fine. You might expect something for nothing - many do - so analyse your requirement and shop around.

Tickety Boo Press is featured on AW because we had the audacity to try and save Spectral Press which got into trouble with 10K of debts to authors and customers.

I did deliver 100% payments to authors and 80% customers (ongoing) and got no thanks for stepping in, on the contrary I got trolled and attacked!

With hindsight, I wonder why I bothered!!

So I would not take AW threads as gospel!! In fact people like Old Hack IMO are poison!

Fortunately my skin is thicker than a Rhinoceros' scrotum so onwards!

Just saying!

Last edited:
Tickety Boo Press is featured on AW because we had the audacity to try and save Spectral Press which got into trouble with 10K of debts to authors and customers.

I did deliver 100% payments to authors and 80% customers (ongoing) and got no thanks for stepping in, on the contrary I got trolled and attacked!

With hindsight, I wonder why I bothered!!

So I would not take AW threads as gospel!! In fact people like Old Hack IMO are poison! IMO.

Fortunately my skin is thicker than a Rhinoceros' scrotum so onwards!

Just saying!
Austin MacAuley are a known vanity press who target authors aggressively, hide their vanity element and are known throughout the whole industry.

Your thread on AW is very different from theirs with some questions around Spectral interspersed with wider comments on T-boo and is no worse than many of the other publishers on there. Austin MacAuley are a different type of publisher.

I'll repeat my earlier advice - do not touch. And if Stuart does decide to don't sign any contract without it being thoroughly checked - pm me if you need info on how to do this.

Incidentally - Old Hack is extremely knowledgeable and very protective of authors. That might make her very hard on publishers - but bewares is a writers' resource first and foremost and often her questions are what saves writers from the sort of contracts that give small publishing a bad name and hurt presses like T-boo.

I repeat - from a publishers point of view, AW is not a fair website. It attacks all new publishers at some point. And then all the members say "Oh such and such is not used to AW," when people like me stand up for myself!

I am not talking about any specific publisher in particular but IMO AW is poison!

Why would you have a senior moderator taking the p**s about me being a woodworker and not a hardened, time served publisher. How dare she and who does she think she is?

The fact is many "publishers" are getting sick. Boo Books, Gray Friar Press, Ginger Nuts of Horror, Terry Grimwood's press, various others I cant remember. It wont be long before there are no avenues for new writers.

I am proud of the fact I gave plenty authors a start!

However, it wont be long before Amazon have the whole show!!

Incidentally - Old Hack is extremely knowledgeable and very protective of authors. That might make her very hard on publishers - but bewares is a writers' resource first and foremost and often her questions are what saves writers from the sort of contracts that give small publishing a bad name and hurt presses like T-boo.

Well you may have forgotten but I am a writer as well and as a publisher my contracts have been checked out and found to be fair, plus I am always open to iron out anomalies.

I started here honing my craft here 10 years ago like everyone else. I have one book published and the 2nd one coming soon.

However because I am a serial entrepreneur I saw an opportunity here to work with some splendid writers who needed a break and I hopefully gave them it. I also re-invigorated some titles that were not selling well. So signed them as well.

So I gave it a go with alot success and some what I would call failure in my eyes!

So why is it okay for Old Hack to dissect my past? I have a saying and that is "A man who do nothing, never make any mistake."

What the liquidation of my home improvement company in 2006 ( remember the crash) has to do with publishing is beyond me. To me this is a person trolling and trying their best to gain the moral high ground so they can show themselves as the authors friend. Google Old Hack - plenty of pee'd off people/authors!

So sorry as much as I love you Jo, I can't concur!

For the record: I have no intention of becoming a emotionless publisher. with no personality. I am me, proud of it, if I am not your'e cup of tea then fine but counting the number of Amazon #1's I have had, I'm happy as Larry.

XXX

This rather seems to be diverting the thread from whether or not a vanity publisher* is a good place for a member to place their manuscript ... to which I think we both agree that no, they aren't.

*which is not in doubt, they are probably the best known VP at the mo in the industry

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Game Discussions 0