Virtual reality surfing of hurricanes

stiwon

Could someone help me identify a book which I read in the mid-nineties, and would like to read again? I've looked for it on and off for the last few years and never managed to identify what it was. I really enjoyed it at the time .

The book was set in a near future world which had larger number of hurricanes than the present. It mostly followed a group of storm chasers who would launch drones that flew into the hurricane that transmitted telemetry, allowing them to experience a raging storm through some form of virtual reality. There was some element of danger as the storm chasers had to stay close enough to receive the telemetry feed.

There was then a back story about hurricanes getting larger and larger, and the emergence of a superstorm larger than any which had been seen before, which was the ultimate challenge. The book concluded with a hint that the the storms were created by humans as part of a wider tactic to reduce the number of humans living on the planet.

It had a bit of a Bruce Stirling feel to it, but I don't believe it was one of this books.

Any ideas very welcome!

You're saying that this is not 'Heavy Weather' by Bruce Sterling? No, I didn't get the 'hint' - but that might depend on how subtle it was, and remember more of the protagonist being hung up by his feet so his lungs would drain of some nasty disease…

The VR component reminds me of John Barnes’ Mother of Storms (1994).