May 2016 75-word Writing Challenge -- VICTORY TO STILLEARNING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daddy's Little Girl ?

"Mommy, do you love me?"
"Yes, yes we do love you."

"Mommy, why is the sky blue?"
"Ask your father."

"Daddy, can we get a puppy?"
"Ask your mother."

"Daddy, is today yesterday's tomorrow?"
"Yeah, sure, ask your mother."

"Mommy, where do babies come from?"
"Ask your father."

"Daddy, pull my finger."
"Okay."

BRRAAACK !

"PHEW, OMG !"
"That does it, get in the box, you're going back to Wal-Mart first thing tomorrow!"

Remission

My father was a kind man once. I remember the old-world stories he used to tell me, all made up on the spot.

I turned ten, he turned to drink. The blur of the years that followed left him violent and empty. I used to wish him dead.

Now he is dying.

They say he only has a few days left. I know I should visit. I mean to.

But not today… Maybe tomorrow.

All Of Yesterday’s Tomorrows

When they diagnosed Michael’s cancer, I remember thinking our tomorrows were suddenly numbered. Nonsense, I know - they always were.

I wept, I raged. When that accomplished nothing, I began to work.

I couldn’t cure the cancer - I’m not that kind of doctor. But maybe I could give us more tomorrows, by reclaiming some already gone.

As I flick the switch to send our minds back, I mourn for lost yesterdays - but relish new tomorrows.

Miscarriage of Justice

Today has been the best day of my life.

I met my fairy godmother.

She made the most beautiful dress I’ve ever seen.

She turned the rats into coachmen, and the mice into footmen, and there were velvet curtains and shiny wheels, and the night sparkled with magic as we went to the prince’s ball.

The castle is gorgeous, and I don’t want the day to ever end.

Tomorrow I’ll just be a pumpkin again.

Forecast

"We're not weather forecasters!"

"I didn't mean …"

Professional Fortune Teller Sawyer Dedman didn't appreciate my use of the popular colloquialism. He touched his crystal ball lovingly.

"We don't make educated guesses."

"Then what's my future?"

"An untimely demise. Or a prosperous life. Your choice."

I sighed. Thanks to a government mandate, fortune tellers were required to provide two futures: one accurate, one wrong. Their way to protect tomorrow.

Great. I'm happy for tomorrow.

Prophesy Ends

“What in God's name was she thinking?!” Tommy Jones pulled his hair viciously.

He had spent a fortune to prove that Sharlyn was the first modern day prophet. The independent tests had proven what the media had suspected. In a prophetic trance Sharlyn could accurately report future occurrences. The first consulting fees were rolling in. Today she had prophesied: “I will never make another prophecy.”

“Why?” he texted.

“Tomorrow the war starts.”

The Way I See It

Today
- Ho hum. Yawn. Whatever. Blaaaa.....

Tomorrow - Freedom, androids, flying cars, clean environment, music, colonized planets, art, chocolate, butterflies, constant medical breakthroughs, clean free energy, benevolent alien contact and blessed peace around the world. Etc, etc........

Siren Call

“The future, they suggested, could be magnificent: freedom from disease… want… war. Plus flying cars…!

“We wanted it. We expected it. We got it.

“But when everything’s so wonderful, life becomes… dull.

“But your life needn’t be boring. There are countless parallel, exciting Earths.

“Call the number on your screen now.

“Live life to the full.”

The voiceover artist wanted to add, “Just don’t expect too many more tomorrows!” but preferred a dull life.

Name: Daniel Brayden Johnson

Height: 6'1"

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Green

Training: Proficient in the use of atomizers, heat rays, and dissolving agents.

Profile: Lost parents at an early age. Good leadership skills, but has issues accepting authority. Highly efficient in combat but has a tendency to make high risk decisions without consulting superiors.

Mission: Lieutenant Johnson will lead his platoon to the Martian underbelly. Experimental explosives mission.

Deployment: Tomorrow

Nineteen Nanoseconds Per Second

At first I didn't notice. How could I? 19 nanoseconds is practically nothing.
Banks rejected me first, then shops, then the library.
I couldn't get home, borders refused me.

Now my communications get rejected.

'Timestamp mismatch' is an error curse that haunts my dreams.

I'm alone in a world that is deaf and numb and going blind.
Every tomorrow arrives early, all because they 'eliminated' leap seconds.

I should have installed that patch.

.seilF emiT

Tomorrow I’ll be ten years younger. Twenty, perhaps. It’s unpredictable.

Today, we’re making a final attempt to correct the malfunction, but no one believes we can now reverse this backward ageing – already we’re struggling to understand the ChronoGate technology.

Yesterday, Piotr, the youngest of us, died. He slipped into adolescence... childhood... infancy... He ended as a smear of cells.

The day before, we’d celebrated. We’d conquered senescence. Stopped Time itself.

Time. Stopped. Stopped. Us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back