Cherryh Named Grand Master

Other older candidates include Greg Benford, Ben Bova, Jack McDevitt, and Mike Resnick.
Good list - i think all are candidates to come up soon. I would probably place Bova at the head of the line, then perhaps McDevitt.

I've not read Spinrad so can't really comment on him.

Good list - i think all are candidates to come up soon. I would probably place Bova at the head of the line, then perhaps McDevitt.

I've not read Spinrad so can't really comment on him.

IMHO: only Bova would meet my criteria for GM...

(Question: what, if anything, is the difference between Hall of Fame credentials and Grandmaster credentials?)

C.J. Cherryh Named SFWA Damon Knight Grand Master

I actually thought to myself, "All right!" and got a happy charge when I came across the notice at Locus. This, SFWA or not, is the last remaining award that still has meaning to me and, while there are still more senior authors yet to get it who should, I'm delighted that she has. Congrats, C.J.! Well-deserved.

Here's the SFADB's full list of the mostly illustrious previous winners: SFWA Grand Master Award.

Like many others here, I've enjoyed the heck out of her books, and I still have many more to go. Downbelow Station is a masterpiece, in my opinion. Well deserved! (y)

I've no idea who 2017's winner is, and I've never heard her name mentioned in anything I've read, so I'm guessing Jane Yolan is a fantasy writer.

Yes, I had to look up Jane Yolan too. How you can win a Science Fiction Writers Grand Master award whilst being completely unheard of by SF fans is question one could ask. I spend many hours at book shops browsing SF (and fantasy) and I don't believe I've ever seen a book by this writer, let alone read one. Further searching reveals she predominately writes young children's books. The award is not supposed to be for children's books is it? There are household names who have been read by millions of people (adults) who have not won it yet. Ben Bova for instance -I feel sorry for him, being overlooked again.

Yay! Glad to hear this! My favorites of hers are the Cyteen trilogy, which to me are just brilliant.

All right, as long as we're suddenly broadcasting our favorite Cherryh works, I'll mention Heavy Time -- but there are plenty of others that come really close to that level!