George Lucas is pissed, now!

Cli-Fi

John J. Falco
After raking in $1 Billion in record time, the $4 Billion price tag for Star Wars may feel a bit low. Yet to me it seems like Lucas needs to get an attitude check or have better people managing his money for HIS own interests. I can never understand if Lucas is a crude capitalist or a whiny liberal who feels like everyone is out to get him. I have a feeling that what he says to the press MAY not be what he actually feels and believes. I mean this is the man who has made a fortune off ONE idea and he has always been angry directly after his numerous business deals. Does Lucas actually underestimate the power of the force? So is that why he is always surprised at how well everything sells? One has to wonder why he keeps making these crummy business deals, if he is truly this pissed off that he sold Star Wars.

Maybe the real question we should be asking is, is Lucas actually pissed?

George Lucas says he sold 'Star Wars' to 'white slavers'

George Lucas explains why he didn’t like ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

I'm sure most of us will be happy to get $4 Billion for our idea and would love it if the seventh movie of the idea, was made as well as The Force Awakens was.

I haven't sat through the interview so I don't know the tone and context but, really, it seems the headlines blow it out of proportion. He was criticizing it rather than outright slagging it; it's almost universal consensus, whether people like it or not, that the new flick is derivative and that seems to be about what he's saying. It is true that he was definitely doing something different in the prequels. Awful, but different.

Though it would be hard not to be pissed if I were him: "I thought I was making a four billion dollar killing and Disney will probably make half of it back on the ticket sales of a single movie alone - a movie I'd already made. I should have gotten forty billion out of 'em."

It's very odd what he's doing in making the interview circuit with such negative comments. The truth is that the Star Wars universe has been slipping out of his grip for a long time, and in a good way. Think of the hundreds of published novels based on these characters and the animated series and the video games. Not to mention the fanfic. He created a universe and now it has taken on a life of its own. He needs to LET IT GO.

If he took the money, he definitely needs to let it go.

I read the article and I think it's interesting that he is proud of giving fans "new planets and spaceships" in each movie, instead of mentioning the little things like, you know, plots and characters.

J.R.R.Tolkien had a bit more couth. He had written that it had always been his intent for the stories to be collaboratively developed.

Sorry, but I don't understand. Is he just apologising for "offending" Disney, Bob Iger, JJ and Kathy? Or, is he now withdrawing his earlier comments and saying that he was wrong and that he spoke out of turn? The first shows a lack of any spine; like he just got leaned on by Disney. The second would show that we can't really believe anything that he says (something I have thought for years anyway.) He took his retirement money, now he should go away, put on his slippers by the fire, and let Disney get on with it.

Sorry, but I don't understand. Is he just apologising for "offending" Disney, Bob Iger, JJ and Kathy? Or, is he now withdrawing his earlier comments and saying that he was wrong and that he spoke out of turn? The first shows a lack of any spine; like he just got leaned on by Disney. The second would show that we can't really believe anything that he says (something I have thought for years anyway.) He took his retirement money, now he should go away, put on his slippers by the fire, and let Disney get on with it.

Who knows. Maybe Lucas doesn't really see himself as a public figure that much. It does sound like somebody got to him. I think he just regrets saying the word "white slavers," as in some of his circles even that might be offensive for a bit of professional backlash.

The Tolkien estate however has been none too pleased with the movies...Shockingly, Christopher Tolkien hates the Lord of the Rings films - A Dribble of Ink
I am not surprised. They have made an enterprise of keeping the franchise canon and here is this director putting his own spin on things.
But Jackson didn't make those changes to toot his own horn. L.OTR. is a very expensive film to make even with CGI, and the scenery budget propped up by the New Zealand landscape.
You had some very basic logistic problems in transfering the book to begin with, so I do not blame Peter Jacksons visual shorthand attempts.
When they make a lotr miniseries for television, they can resort out the story.
The attitudes of the family do not reflect those of Tolkien himself. He was after all, a member of a very elete writing group which included CSLewis. He understood the power of colaberation.

Now, George Lucas... After he completed his degree in writing and filmmaking, his ideas of what is film worthy and story worthy seem to have taken an about face. Whereas the Disney people have their formulaic storylines. Neither quite fits but one has clearly worked better then the other. I think this is the real basis of his grievances. .its hard to admit you killed your own franchise with bad ideas, but even worse to realize that all it needed for its success was you out of the picture.
And as for that white slaver comment, Walt Disney locked out his own animators when they wanted a living wage. Well known fact though Disney does try and white wash it now.