33:11 Heaven Sent

Upon further review, I have concluded that the only "real" event in this episode was the Doctor's teleportation to Gallifrey.
Everything else -- the moving castle, the fly-infested death figure, Clara, the TARDIS -- was all in his grief-stricken mind.

I can't decide if the mind trap was induced by the Gallifreyan heavies, or if it was created by the Doctor's own impossibly intricate 2,000-year-old mind as a means of dealing with Death. I'm favoring the latter because I can't see how the true nature of the prophesied hybrid was all that valuable, especially when he defiantly volunteered that revelation at the end.

Maybe this was all obvious to the more mentally gifted out there, or maybe I'm completely off the mark. I had to watch this episode twice to get any kind of grip, right or wrong, with my aging, oftentimes challenged brain. This was a brilliant piece of writing from Steven Moffat, albeit a bit cerebral for casual viewing. As Mr. Gumby might say: "Doctor! My brain hurts!"

Another question raised: If the Doctor is the hybrid, what's complementing his Gallifreyan component?

Final question: Why are we hiding spoilers in a clearly named episode?:confused:

First spoiler question: I do believe that at that moment, he realized where he was and that keeping the secret from those particular people wasn't all that necessary.

Second spoiler question: I think it's his mindset.

It was nice to finally learn that the Doctor is Gozer the traveller, the destroyer.

In the next episode I expect to see four chaps in overalls striding out of the city with unlicensed nuclear accelerators on their backs to face him at its edge.

Also when the Doctor dons his shades I felt he should have uttered these words:

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum."

i think i was the first spoiler... i put it in as i figured it was close enough to the first airing of the episode for someone to stumble into the thread without having watched it. and after that, well i figured maybe people didn't want to see the "discussion" going on between myself and Ursa...

plus i was coming from the face the raven thread which had spoiler boxes in it....

i think i was the first spoiler... i put it in as i figured it was close enough to the first airing of the episode for someone to stumble into the thread without having watched it. and after that, well i figured maybe people didn't want to see the "discussion" going on between myself and Ursa...

plus i was coming from the face the raven thread which had spoiler boxes in it....
Not a problem. I thought that the spoiler rules might have changed, so I went with the flow before asking for clarification.:)

Doctor can be quite ruthless when he wants to be and at times, he despises the Time Lords. Nothing is half-Dalek by genome. The Daleks wouldn't allow it to happen. It's the only conclusion I could reach. What else could he have that is of a Dalek?

Doctor can be quite ruthless when he wants to be and at times, he despises the Time Lords. Nothing is half-Dalek by genome. The Daleks wouldn't allow it to happen. It's the only conclusion I could reach. What else could he have that is of a Dalek?
I was thinking he could be a hybrid by being half Time Lord and half some other race other than Dalek. My top choice would be Human, which would account for his staunch defense of Earth. He has saved our bacon so many times it seems unlikely that he pays much attention to trouble spots in the rest of the Universe. Of course, that may simply be due to the fact that the BBC is based on Earth.:D

I was thinking he could be a hybrid by being half Time Lord and half some other race other than Dalek. My top choice would be Human, which would account for his staunch defense of Earth. He has saved our bacon so many times it seems unlikely that he pays much attention to trouble spots in the rest of the Universe. Of course, that may simply be due to the fact that the BBC is based on Earth.:D

However, the prophecy speaks about a Time Lord - Dalek hybrid.

I think Doctor's fascination with Earth is more a fascination with the best of humanity and preserving that humanity. With the way he saw the Time Lords go corrupt in the latest years and allegedly abandon all that is best of them in the Time War, I think that he likes this little race of ours that he doesn't want to lose its potential to do good or be destroyed before the potential can be realized. Sure, humans do many stupid things, but Doctor is always trying to preserve the best of humans and their individual potential (especially with Kate, twice now).

I clearly need to see this one again. I'm not sure what I was watching, but it doesn't seem to be the same one everyone else was watching. Not as well, anyway.

The possibility of the Doctor being a hybrid has been brought up before, but due to how that story went I wasn't sure if that would be considered canon.

so i watched this episode again last night for the second (or possibly two billionth) time, and i recommend it. there are a few bits i didn't appreciate the first time i watched it which make a lot more sense the second time round, and it's great to watch peter capaldi again.

There is the little controversial bit in the 1996 TV movie with Paul McGann where he claims to be half-human....

And this seemed interesting...

Last edited:
There is the little controversial bit in the 1996 TV movie with Paul McGann where he claims to be half-human....
Do Humans qualify as a "great warrior race"? We certainly have extensive war experience, but we're not quite up to Dalek standards.

Pretty sure we always ended up saved by the Doctor and not by any merit of our own. Except if you count the Doctor-Donna thingy, but at that point, Donna was a hybrid of her own.