New Imprint Venus Ascending headed by Teresa Edgerton...

Gary Compton

I miss you, wor kid.
Early next year Tickety Boo Press will be unveiling a spellbinding line of fantasy and science fiction romance, under our new imprint Venus Ascending, headed by editor Teresa Edgerton.

What we are looking for: romance stories in well-realized fantasy, science fiction, or science fantasy settings — steampunk, high fantasy, dystopian, post-apocalyptic, space opera, time travel, alien worlds, urban fantasy. Elements of romance and speculative fiction must both be integral to the plot. We are looking for strong characterization and are more interested in stories focussing on the development of a powerful emotional bond between the hero and heroine than in books with long scenes of graphic sex (which doesn’t mean that we are looking for books with no sex at all — contact us if you have questions about this).

Stories told in alternating viewpoints between the heroine and hero preferred, although we will consider stories told from the female viewpoint only. We are particularly interested in stories of approximately 90,000 to 100,000 words.

Submissions Open 1st December 2015: email submissions only to venusascending@ticketyboopress.co.uk. Please include Attention: Teresa in the subject line, and the title of your book. Send us the first three chapters of your manuscript and a two page synopsis, as a Word document or in RTF, standard manuscript format, Times or Times New Roman, double spaced. We plan to start looking at submissions in January and will reply in the order received.

http://www.ticketyboopress.co.uk/venus-ascending/

Venus Ascending copy.jpg

Here's hoping that all concerned have the very best of luck. :)

Good luck!! I don't think I've ever managed to write anything that long!

Thanks everyone.

This is Teresa's baby so she will assess submissions and edit. I am not even doing the covers on these either.

I don't do luuurrrve! :)

A reminder to everyone who plans to submit something to Venus Ascending:

December 1, when we will be open for submissions, is only a few days away. I am excited and I hope that you are too!

Submissions will be read and will receive a response in the order received.

@Teresa Edgerton -- do you have any guidelines etc for the synopsis? I have a feeling I saw somewhere that romance synopses are a bit different from other ones, but can't remember where (or exactly what it said)!

I've seen a number of Romance synopses that in form looked just like synopses for books in other genres. The only difference was that they concentrated more on the growing relationship between the hero and heroine than on the rest of the plot. But I want books where the SFF elements and the Romance elements are both essential to the plot, and so the type of synopsis that is most likely to find favor with me is one that reflects that.

At this stage I want to know about the story and characters, and a bit about the setting (the quality of the prose also matters, but I'll find that out when I read the sample chapters). Anything else of value should be evident if and when I ask for a full manuscript.

Here is a rough idea of the kind of thing I would prefer to see (but if you can write a synopsis that beguiles and intrigues me, how you do it doesn't much matter):

Set the scene (briefly). Leave out the philosophical ramblings about the nature of evil, or prejudice, or whatever, and don’t start with a question or a series of questions.

Introduce, in a few sentences, the hero and heroine and the most important conflicts and difficulties they face as the story opens.

Describe the major movements of the main plot line, including any important twists, setbacks, or sudden reverses of fortune. And of course I want to see how all this contributes to the growth of the relationship. This is probably the best place to introduce any important secondary characters. Tell the story in a linear fashion, even if that is not how the plot unfolds in the book. I want to know what conflicts or difficulties stand between the hero and heroine establishing an emotional bond -- or, alternatively, bring them together -- but also what else is at stake besides the relationship.

If the synopsis is an effective one, it should be clear why readers would be invested in the outcome. Remember that the synopsis is not the book, and you don't need to explain things that don't impact the plot. Do give a clear idea how the story ends.

If it’s part of a multi-volume series, you can include a very brief summary of the other books, but on a separate page.

Last edited:
By an interesting coincidence -- or perhaps pure serendipity -- the contract was signed on a new acquisition for Venus Ascending, a fantasy novel by a long-time member of the Chronicles. I'm very excited about this book. Further details to follow, with luck in a day or two.

Exciting indeed, Kerry! I can't wait to see who the member is, and learn more about the book!! :)

Reactions: Hex
Sosososososoooooo exciting! (how exciting that you were appropriately beguiled by a synopsis!)

Last edited: