Charles Beaumont

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
I just picked up a book of his stories Perchance to Dream . Three I recognize right of the bat. The Howling Man, The Jungle and In His Image . All of which were adapt by the Twilight Zone.:)

Beaumont was one of the best of his generation, in my opinion. He was good both with prose fiction and screenplays (in general; his adaptation of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward for The Haunted Palace was... lacklustre to say the least; but then, he never made any bones about not being a fan of Lovecraft), and even when he took liberties (as with The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao), he somehow managed to make it into very memorable material.

Ellison, by the way, was good friends with him, and a great admirer of his work. He has credited Beaumont with the two most valuable pieces of advice he ever received about working in Hollywood: Don't give up your other writing. As long as you continue to write other things, they don't own you, and will see you as a prince from a far-off land. And: Working in this town is like climbing enormous mountain of cow-flop to reach the one perfect rose at the top: Once you have made that hideous ascent, you find you've lost the sense of smell.

That's one I'll be looking into on my next bookstore trip. I've read a chunk of his short fiction in The Howling Man, a retrospective collection, so I'll be interested in seeing how much the contents differ.

Randy M.

He also wrote the screenplay for the classic 1964 adaptation of Masque of the Red Death staring Vincent Price. :cool:

Last edited:
He also adapted Finney's The Circus of Dr. Lao as The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao, a movie. My favorite story in that collection is "The Vanishing American." I can see it as an Amazing Stories or Twilight Zone episode. "Miss Gentibelle" is based on his experience with his mother; she made him dress like a girl and possibly killed his pet bird. Too bad he suffered from early onset Alzheimer's. Who knows what he could've accomplished had he more time.

That's one I'll be looking into on my next bookstore trip. I've read a chunk of his short fiction in The Howling Man, a retrospective collection, so I'll be interested in seeing how much the contents differ.

Randy M.

Brilliant story . :cool: