What's your motivation for entering or not entering?

Well, be assured, ratsy, as and when you win, in my records it will go down as a full win, even if you've tied on a tie-break. None of this discrimnatory stuff from me. Oh no.

It's the quantum physicist in him, he just can't help it.

It was the challenges for me that persuaded me to join the forum in the first place...

Glad you did, or I'd be one vote down in the current challenge ;)

pH

Late to the ball as usual.

I take part for a couple of reasons one of which is the old chestnut of having done them for so long it seems wrong to actually miss one. I'm sweating just thinking about it.

At the same time I love the sense of community that comes from it all. We have had people come and go, offer different things to the challenges and most of it has been good. There is a lot of banter in the discussion threads that is incredibly warm and welcoming, and it introduces us to such wonderful people.

Except that old Perp fellow, he was really weird.

I find it highly amusing (not sure how many other people do this), when I write a story each month and think that it is one of the best ever written, then you start reading some of the other entries and that analysis starts redefining itself.

And I love some of the conversations that have popped up over the years. One that really sticks with me which is when there was a tiebreak, after which there was a whole 'I came second,' - 'no you won, but lost the tie break' argument.

Brilliant.

Fun

Compulsive

And full of fantastic people, whether they come, go or stick around.

Why do I (sometimes) enter? It's fun, basically. I enjoy being creative (though I'm more of an artist than a writer).

Btw, I've been missing since summer due to health issues, but I hope to be back soon.

I love problem solving and writing, so the challenges are perfect for me. First write a story then solve the problem of squeezing it down into 75, 100 or 300 words and attempt to keep the meaning and instill some quality.

I've been skulking around these old posts and thought I'd add a (late) tuppence worth -

I've only been a member here for a teeny while and I have to say I'm loving it.

I can never walk by a challenge so I feel I have to enter - have entered both the 300 and 75er. I love to write and, as much as I love writing what I want to write, I also love writing to 'order' - I makes me have to think about the process and the story more, especially if the theme isn't something I would normally write about.

When I wrote the first draft of my MS I was part of a local writing group and loved having 'homework' - writing a short story felt like a break from writing my MS, so now I have these to do too :D

I do it because I love to write - if I'm not actually writing, I'm thinking about it. (Maybe I need to get out more)

Me? I enter the challenges for the feedback. In my experience, it's so difficult to even get someone to read your work and give you some input. For awhile, I felt like I was shouting into the void.

Input should help me get better. And the long term plan is to get some work out and get paper. Because I'm not down with sitting behind a desk in some corporation, making someone else's dreams come true.

So I guess I'm also writing for blood and bread.

Ken, if you want any feedback that might be less than "bravo, nicely done", you might try posting your stories in the relevant "Improving our challenge stories" threads. We don't allow anything but kind in the regular discussions, so if you want teeth, you have to actively request them. :) Do be sure to wait till after the voting is done on each one.

I have various reasons for entering the challenges. I found this place because I was looking for someone to critique my writing because I have literally no concept of its quality. The 75 word challenge sounded like an interesting way to get started on my quest for 30 posts.

Having started with that rather mundane ambition, it was the themes and genres that sustained my interest - little puzzles for my imagination to solve - and I found to my delight that ideas came to mind easily. Once I'd had an idea, I needed to get it out; my subconscious kept bringing it up, running through the idea, filling in the details, etc. So much so that I ended up write up a story for a challenge that had already ended (see the 100 word December anon challenge discussion thread for that one). Annoyingly I think it's my best entry so far.

The thought of actually winning has never really entered my head. Hell, I'm thrilled to even get a mention in a discussion thread. If I actually get a vote... who knows? I may just spend the rest of the day grinning.

Since starting to write my entries I've found the whole process fascinating. The word counts are both a harsh mistress and godsend at the same time. In the process of cutting down my entries to size I've discovered just how much more powerful simpler prose can be. I'm certain it's made me into a much better writer in a remarkably short space of time. Not hard, considering where I started, but still.

I've no real idea where all this is leading me. I'd love to write a novel one day but I'm not convinced I have either the skill or the dedication. For now, the challenges have given me the confidence to know that I can write something I don't hate.

Bring on the next challenge!

Ken, if you want any feedback that might be less than "bravo, nicely done", you might try posting your stories in the relevant "Improving our challenge stories" threads. We don't allow anything but kind in the regular discussions, so if you want teeth, you have to actively request them. :) Do be sure to wait till after the voting is done on each one.

Thank you. I will definitely check that thread out.

I thought it would be a nice break away the interminable re-editing of a very long novel ... but I can only do them if I manage to think of a suitable idea.

sometimes it's almost more enjoyable when you have absolutely no idea

(in a strange, masochistic way)

(Adopts Mexican bandit accent.) Ideas? Ideas? I don need no stinkin' ideas.

…Why do you enter?…
  1. Mainly: Spontaneous enjoyment of making art, where nothing is really expected of me.
  2. The challenge of the 'flash' format, where failure has a low price.
  3. It keeps the writing brain alive, in times where serious project work doesn't fit in the schedule.
  4. A little bit of me hopes others would enjoy it when reading, but outright ego-feeding (hoping for unsolicited feedback/crits) is unrealistic... unless you win.

Because I'm always in a coffeeshop or library, with distractions. Get home, and 75/300 words seems like a lot, like maybe I should work on a WIP, and 300 wds. is huge, the speed I work at. )

My motivation for entering is something that hits a chord with my writers soul. For not entering as in the last year or so has been a complete lost of confidence in myself as a writer and a creative person. Man that feeling of utter dejection and loss of mojo is crappy. Hopefully the tide is turning as new ideas gestate in my brain.

Some months, though I love the theme and genre, I do not have the ability to force an idea. But when I get The Flash, they write themselves. Mostly.

Half a dozen edits, tonight. I gots to sleep on it and double check the word count in the cold light of morning.

Horror is not one of my big things; but.. it's on...!