Another open submission window approaching: Angry Robot Books

Oh, that sounds really exciting! Good luck getting in in time for the sub.

I hear you about needing the push -- I was dragging my heels on the sixth major rewrite of my WIP before I decided to submit it to AR, it was nice to have that pressure to get it done even when I was sick to my back teeth of it. :) And now I can move on to shiny new projects!

I usually see my WIP as YA Crossover, but I decided to blast it off anyway. I think it could be marketed to either audience.

Heh. Good luck with that one... I still have the bruises from that scenario last time.

Anyhow, mine is also straddling that line. I might not sub it on that basis. Frankly, whilst I'll query it, I'm already starting to think of the self publishing options. Grr. Stupid, stupid, narrow markets. (Stomp over.)

Hah, how weird -- mine's probably straddling that line too. I don't label it crossover unless an agent or publisher specifically expresses an interest, but it's aimed at urban fantasy readers in their 20s (similar to BLOOD & FEATHERS and a lot of Solaris/Abbaddon's books, and similar in market to a lot of Tor's work too).

Hah, how weird -- mine's probably straddling that line too. I don't label it crossover unless an agent or publisher specifically expresses an interest, but it's aimed at urban fantasy readers in their 20s (similar to BLOOD & FEATHERS and a lot of Solaris/Abbaddon's books, and similar in market to a lot of Tor's work too).
This is my strategy too. If a publisher is interested in Crossover, I'll label it as such. Otherwise, I'll just flag it as adult fiction.

Just for info (and so you can start thinking what to do in various scenarios)

I was unable to get an agent for Inish Carraig without deciding on either of the two markets. I made it Y
A, got an agent, who was unable to sell it partly because the demograph was still confused. It came back to me, I returned it to its crossover status and it's now an Amazon bestseller. So it might be worth having a good think about what to do if it does become an issue - which I hope it doesn't for either of you.

Just for info (and so you can start thinking what to do in various scenarios)

I was unable to get an agent for Inish Carraig without deciding on either of the two markets. I made it Y
A, got an agent, who was unable to sell it partly because the demograph was still confused. It came back to me, I returned it to its crossover status and it's now an Amazon bestseller. So it might be worth having a good think about what to do if it does become an issue - which I hope it doesn't for either of you.
Thank you! I appreciate the insight.

Hi, just thought I'd pop in and see how many people from here entered this open call. Angry Robot are my publisher and I have to say they're a great bunch to work with, good luck to everyone who submitted.

Since Angry Robot's last open call, Lee Harris has left his editor post to go to Tor.com and Angry Robot has been bought by Elon Musk.

Not Elon Musk I'm afraid - Angry Robot belong to Watkins Media Ltd which is owned by an American investor called Etan Ilfeld.

Not me. A variety of reasons, including not quite pushing to completion in time (although I think I could have), deciding to hold the next one and look for an agent and not feeling I'd be a good fit for AR. :)

Hi, just thought I'd pop in and see how many people from here entered this open call. Angry Robot are my publisher and I have to say they're a great bunch to work with, good luck to everyone who submitted.

Not Elon Musk I'm afraid - Angry Robot belong to Watkins Media Ltd which is owned by an American investor called Etan Ilfeld.
Oops... sorry... glad you picked this up.

I put in my submission, the Firebird Fugitive, and I am anxiously waiting to hear.

No, I just got an email linking through to that submittable site, where it said my status was now "decline".

Really wasn't expecting anything, so not surprised at all.

Back