Terminator Genisys (2015)

I quite liked the premise even if I was hearing constant whining of "timey-wimey," in my head. Terminator Genisys is a good movie. It builds totally new beginning to the series, while it leads the viewers into a new realm, where things are happening differently. I wish they would had four or five hours to explain things, and give out more backstory to fill in the plotholes. But they didn't. Instead they filled it with good cast, and excellent crew.

Note that Arnie, is not the man from the past. He is whole new thing. An old warrior in a brave new world, where the enemy has not gone down even if they think so (I hope you watched the little extra after the main credits). And I would be very interested to see where they're heading with this, and how much darkness will seep into this parallel world in the future. I also welcome terminator granpa, if the impossible happens.

Up next - the whiny Skynet kid travels back, forth, and sideways in time, but Arnie will-not-stop and the world is saved yet again. Good explosions, good helicopter action. The more you try to 'explain' time-travel epics, the more confusing they get.

I loved the movie, but I do understand all the confusion and sentiments regarding the plot. Time travel tends to have that effect on the mind unless it is left simple, like having a DeLorean with a flux capacitor.

I loved the movie, but I do understand all the confusion and sentiments regarding the plot. Time travel tends to have that effect on the mind unless it is left simple, like having a DeLorean with a flux capacitor.
...and handling the paradoxes with a family photo while keeping the duplicate characters from making direct contact.
My simple mind really appreciates simplified time travel.

There's no confusion, it's just poorly written. EC comics of the 50s had much more intelligent timetravel stories.

I really haven't bothered with any of the Terminator films since T3, which really took the piddle after the brilliance of T3.

Having said that, I've heard mixed reviews for Genisys, and this thread seems to follow the norm - that basically it's a load of old rollocks and should be taken with tanker-sized pinches of salt!

However, the weekend is almost here, so as is typical for me of a Friday evening - it will consist of a few beers, the inevitable (dodgy), chicken tikka masala, a few more beers; talking gibberish while trying to find my way home, and then crashing out on the floor of my bedroom... again!

So I will endevour to squeeze in a trip to the local cinema for this tosh - hopefully somewhere between the first set of beers and the curry :)

I'm about to see it myself. From what I've heard a few beers wouldn't go astray before indulging.

Forget the story and it is spectacular. Even the story is fine (it even holds together with previous timeline changes) right up until the point I had the problem with. And I spent the rest evening thinking I had missed something, so just don't bother thinking about it at all.

Yeah, pretty much what Dave said. Disconnect brain and kick back.

I just watched it on a small screen a couple of metres away on a Delta flight. It was quite entertaining and a little better than I expected. The best parts were of course the early homages (basically copied sections) to the original Terminator but it kept me interested throughout. The stuff with John O'Connor and Matt Smith's character were a bit messy but I suppose they had to try something new. The timeline jumps and the reasons various character appeared at different times was somewhat confusing but I tried not to think about it too hard. :)
Having the older Arnie character worked.
Can someone tell me why they had to meet with young Reese? Is it in case a Terminator is sent back to kill young Reese? Somewhat problematic with two Reese's in one timeline.

I am not sure why the debate on whether a Terminator can travel in the time machine is such a hot topic. It has been said in at least 2 movies that it needs to be covered in skin. Any metal showing would not be acceptable in the machine, nor are clothes. It is implied anything non living cannot go through. Why no one has questioned hair and finger nails, which has not been addressed, is the real question. I don't get that detailed in criticism. No metal, clothing, etc. is good enough for me. That has no holes in it as far as the movies are concerned.

I found the whole concept regarding different time lines interesting. I don't consider that a problem either. Each movie has touched on it and has shown that the time line is being manipulated by Skynet to overcome the humans victory in the future. It has also been shown in past movies how a future terminator can come back and update or enhance the newly born Skynet. This movie is one of many such instances, and shown to be the last, or is it?

All movies have potholes. This movie has far less then many other popular movies. I found it very enjoyable as a movie.

As far as a terminator movie... They left this slightly open ended. It is closed enough to be a great ending to a franchise and yet, they left enough unsaid to explore in future sequels without Arnold.

My biggest criticism is that the movie like many others in the last decade is black. The technique of making most all movie scenes dark and sinister is appalling. It is no longer artistic. It has been beyond artistic since the first remake of Batman. Batman was never a sinister super hero until these remakes. Star Trek is a great example. Star Trek is not a dark and sinister universe. Certain scenes in all these movies could take advantage of this technique, but to make a whole terminator movie this dark kills the movie.

I agree with the dark thing. And, the use of the 'horror chord' sound FX, as if a scary enogh sound, like a low frequency grumble with a screaming metal sound makes it all automatically scarier. Terminator doesn't stoop to this, but I hear it alla time now. OO! Scary sound, time to be afraid, even if you can see the zipper in the monster suit.

I hate this latest trend in films such as "Predator Vs Alien 2" when in some action scenes everything is so dark and with all the fast movement I can't see what the hell is going on!!!
The only way to watch these is in a pitch black room which is not always possible.
Even then the results are not that good, this is a very annoying trend!

Personally, I dont believe in time travel as stated in books and movies. I think the best we can do is travel slower in time. An example would be to travel 10 minutes and only age 5 minutes. Then how or could you react to normal time. Then you might be able to travel far into the future and age very little. That is only my opinion based on actual experiments that only have a few seconds of difference. That's not much in terms of real time travel. I would not restrict myself to what we think is reality today, science fiction is the art of predicting what might be. In this case I would love to be wrong in the above statement that you can't travel through time as we have read in books and seen in movies.

The scenario books and movies have predicted almost certainly demand multiple time lines. If you believe in a soul, multiple time lines make things very difficult. Hmmm, an idea is forming to prove (science fictionally) that wrong. : )

Up next - the whiny Skynet kid travels back, forth, and sideways in time, but Arnie will-not-stop and the world is saved yet again. Good explosions, good helicopter action. The more you try to 'explain' time-travel epics, the more confusing they get.

this film started well, first twenty/twenty five minutes, the cgi arnold was impressive, however emilia clarke was miscat, jai courtney was miscast and miles o brien from ST:TNG was a strange choice for john connor!