Question about short story anthologies

Unmentionable

I'm think of submitting several short stories for publication, then collecting them, along with some non-published material, into an anthology. My question is; how many of these stories should be pre-published and how many should be brand new?

Do you have any of them published yet? You may want to try submitting and seeing what kind of feedback you get before thinking this far ahead.

Agreed. But the usual methodology is to collect everything after it's been printed. Much less common is to do a "brand new book collection" where nothing has been printed before. This is usually lit stuff. It's not uncommon to offer a new story or two in a collection of otherwise reprinted stuff as a way to make sure there's something in it new for everyone and make everyone buy the book but I really dislike this as it just means that, if you haven't followed closely, it makes no difference and if you have followed closely then you indeed have to spend a lot of money on almost nothing new or miss stuff - and it's really always the latter and that doesn't do the author any good either. (Like having a "bonus track" on an album re-release or "Japan-only track" or something in music - just annoying.)

Best to just collect only things you've published elsewhere.

(Of course, all that said, it's virtually impossible to publish novellas in magazines or online these days, so I could see including those in a collection that's otherwise reprints.)

Thanks for the answers. I've submitted one story for publication, though I haven't heard back from them yet. I'll probably have a better picture once several have been published.

Back