Paperback or ebooks?

The soft Kindle screen is definitely the second reason why I got addicted to it besides the mobility of many books. I just set the light -it is almost always very dim- according to the light I have and it is perfect.

I have to say I get spoilt with the light in the kindle - you really notice it indoors when you grab a regular book and suddenly the text is a lot dimmer than on the kindle.

And yeah the screen on an e-reader with e-ink is nothing like a tablet. It's very easy to read and for those who might have need of glasses you can even change the font size so that you might be able to read without glasses.

All in all the Kindle isn't going to beat tablets on speed and processing power, but on reading books they are by far and away outstanding.

An ereader screen isn't like looking at a computer screen though, except in outward appearance and that is quickly forgotten.

20 to 30 IF you are traditionally published maybe, but if you go the self publish route it's going to be 100 percent unless you get big enough to have a run of paperbacks printed.

Let me set you straight, the days when you need to print a big run of books is passing, or has passed depending on who you ask.

I, like many other indie authors, offer paperback and hardcover versions of my stories. I have them professionally edited, commission art for covers etc. If you want to know more then I strongly recommend you follow Kristine Kathryn Rusch and Dean Wesley Smith's blogs.

I like the paperbacks myself because I like seeing the covers and the feel of the books in my hand. After reading I rank my books by where I put them on my book shelves. I have a Hall of Fame shelf, a worthy of reading again shelf and a give away shelf.
I do have a Kindle that I use when I go on vacation and I really do enjoy being able to size the text and the lighted screen but I miss being able to shelve the book afterwards.

I love reading on my Kindle Paperwhite with the adjustable LED backlight. I am on my 3rd cover coz the plastic on the previous ones keep cracking or the magnets fall out. It's so convenient to have the Kindle without having to carry physically heavy books.

After reading I rank my books by where I put them on my book shelves. I have a Hall of Fame shelf, a worthy of reading again shelf and a give away shelf.

This sounds like an awesome idea! Only trouble is deciding which books go on which shelves might cost me my sanity.

I prefer paper in the hand for home reading, but will take some kindle material on my iPad if I'm travelling - and try to go to 'airplane mode' before the announcement comes on.

I go either way.

When at home, I would use ebooks (or in my case, they're [Apple] iBooks), so I could highlight anything in the paragraphs, or adjust the font size, or go for dark mode.

But when out and about, on holiday, etc., I would prefer paperback book. So I don't damage or lost my iPad.

Can't believe I've missed commenting here. Gimme a book. A book with covers and paper pages. A book that won't run out of battery, ever. I have read on Kindle (on holiday) and I do read some books that don't come out in print, but I'd rather have a book in my hand, any day.

I spend far too much time already looking at electronic screens of one kind or another! Paperbacks all the way for me.

I was checking my ebooks early this week, and found I have over 400. A quick calculation shows that's nearly as many on my bookshelves - and there's no possible way I can double the space for those. :)

Both. Paperbacks to read and eBooks to quickly find forgotten facts from a previously read paperback. Also, sometimes only an eBook's available. In the case of pulp era magazines, for instance.

I love paper and prefer hardbound copies.
However, when I spill my coffee--you just can't beat having it on a kindle that cleans right up and those sticky fingers from all the guilty pleasures don't mar the kindle at all.

I am basically hooked on books, my house is stuffed with them, but if I had my time over I think I would only buy reference books such as my beloved Dorling Kindesly's (DK) coffee table books plus just science, maths and history, of which I have a great deal.
But fiction, of which I have a massive amount, I think would be best kept on a Kindle backed up by the Cloud, it would certainly save some space!

I don't like the idea of corporate America having the content of my library in a profile. When they go full 451 and the "subversive" e-book banning starts* I will be glad of my shelves of secondhand bookshop acquisitions. It is evident that the net is morphing from an arena of liberty to an arena of profiling and control. My youtube 'suggestions' are evidence enough of that and as a non fantasy writer my google research profile is off the dial in terms of misrepresenting my character. People don't realize the level of cross coordination.
Recently I started getting youtube suggestions for Fischer - Spasky chess matches, in which I have zero interest. Then I realized, I had just G-mailed a MS to someone and one of the main characters was named Fischer. Their AI had obviously combed my attachment.
So paperbacks for me :giggle:

There is a hell of a lot to be said for reading a real physical book, but the trouble for someone like me who has collected so many is they tend to take up so much space, and I'd truly hate to part with any of them!

The other problem is that I've come to expect the very light weight of my Kindle and a big old hard cover makes me want to put it down.