Once Again, I Apologize...

LauraJUnderwood

Silly Author Person
Life has been something of a sandy beach (which is a nice way of saying what it HAS been).

As I told folks the last time I was out here, I have been rather tied up with my mother's health issues. Suffice to say, she is getting better--slowly--but it has not been an easy road.

A week before Christmas, my stepfather was taken to the emergency room because he could not breathe. He ended up on a respirator, and on a bunch of other machines, something he never wanted in his life. It was not a good Christmas because we had to spend so much time at the hospital (at least with him, I could rely on his brothers and sisters and my family to come assist).

He had a heart attack, respiratory failure, massive infections in his lungs and his triple bypass was failing. He also had an unidentified mass on his pancreas that was assumed to be cancer, but since he was so weak, they were unable to do a proper biopsy. There were also issues with his kidneys, which were failing. They wanted to see if they could bypass the failed bypass, but his arteries were so damaged and clogged, they said it would kill him to try.

He festered in the hospital for two weeks. On the first of January of this year, they told us there was no hope as all his organs had started failing. So we gave consent to take him off the respirator. He died with myself, my sister, my niece and his brother and sisters at his side.

My mother could not be there because of her health, which still bothers her. My youngest sister watched him go via cell phone. All very sad.

So I have basically been trying to pick up the pieces and do all the paperwork for my mother who is too devastated to think for herself.

Life just got a little haggard.

I am trying to get back on course again. I am working on writing projects. Am still dealing with the VA. Mom put his truck in my name. We are getting ready to put the house in my name.

We are planning trips. Mom is accompanying me to SoonerCon in June because I don't dare leave her alone anymore than the time I spend at work.

That is life as it is. Never as it should be, but we all have things to deal with from time to time.

It is how we deal with them that makes the difference.

Me, I muddle on.