4.17: Karma

Lenny

Press "X" to admire hat
Hooray, hooray, a perp today! If memory serves, our last perp was an identity thief, with something for teeth, who attacked in the power-cut cabin (ish), which was way, way back.

It's also been a while since we had a flashback to the halcyon days of The Machine's infancy - I didn't quite expect Finch to be the type for revenge. And definitely not the explodey flavour of revenge.

EDIT: Nope! I've gone too far back - Teeth Guy (because teeth of his previous victims were found) was 2.17. I can't think of any from the fourth series, so the last [number of the week] perp was in the episode Root and Reese crashed the high-school reunion (3.19), I think.

Last edited:
Yes, it has been a long time, and strangely, the episode seemed pedestrian because of that. I've become use to the weekly conspiracy revelations.
I didn't quite expect Finch to be the type for revenge. And definitely not the explodey flavour of revenge.
I didn't either, and I'm not sure I believed it of him.

I didn't either, and I'm not sure I believed it of him.

I kind of agree but, actually, I'm not sure how well we know younger Finch. We know he had a rough youth and we know he was initially much harder - screw the irrelevant! - so maybe he was a bit readier to fly off the handle. And Finch does have a little "beware the fury of a patient man" about him or the general idea that he seems meek and mild-mannered so may be completely the opposite inside. So I can see that one either way.

My main problem with the episode (aside from a horrible lack of Groves) was that the "vengeance is bad" theme just had nothing at all new to say in no new way and yet belabored its point in a heavy-handed way. Also particularly frustrating is that something about Mr. Framejob and the possibly innocent frame-ee (and the idea - finally more or less refuted at the end unless he's really good - that the "bereaved husband" may have been the killer) was all pretty interesting and then they leave that unsolved and uncharacteristically don't seem to much care about ever solving it (again, for the thematic purposes, sacrificing plot for it).

Still, it was an okay filler ep, I suppose. I did at least enjoy the flashback. While nothing new in general, for some reason it made me really realize (with Corwin) that, while I doubt we'll ever see Carter again for some reason, we could - nobody's ever permanently off the show on PoI because there's always the flashback. I'd still like to see more Stanton-era flashbacks and suchlike. (Not to give the idea I want the show stuck in the past but just that I like the feature on occasion.)

Also particularly frustrating is that something about Mr. Framejob and the possibly innocent frame-ee (and the idea - finally more or less refuted at the end unless he's really good - that the "bereaved husband" may have been the killer) was all pretty interesting and then they leave that unsolved and uncharacteristically don't seem to much care about ever solving it (again, for the thematic purposes, sacrificing plot for it).
Yes, if it wasn't Mr. Framejob and it wasn't innocent Mr. Frame-ee then who was it and why don't they care? Surely, there is still a murderer at large? Also, Mr. Frame-ee went away pretty meekly considering he's spent seven years in jail for a crime he didn't commit. Which was why I thought we were meant to believe that he was guilty after all.

The flashbacks were the highlight this week for me.. Interesting to see the darkest place Finch ever got to - potential car-bombing. It was shocking when his yellow box turned red (Machine POV). But as you guys have said it was a bit of a stretch considering what we know of his character. Perhaps this was the defining moment that turned him into the man he is today?

Were all of Reese's trips to teh psychiatrist just building her up so she could get him and Finch into that swanky event?? I still don't buy Reese's relationship with her or his willingness to open up on any real level...

Rerun tonight. :(

Also, Mr. Frame-ee went away pretty meekly considering he's spent seven years in jail for a crime he didn't commit.

True - he goes from wanting to confront the guy in public to seemingly being happy to escape and let bygones be bygones.

Were all of Reese's trips to teh psychiatrist just building her up so she could get him and Finch into that swanky event?? I still don't buy Reese's relationship with her or his willingness to open up on any real level...

I doubt that was the big endgame, but I completely agree that it'd take a lot more than that for me to think this storyline was worthwhile as I don't buy it (or like it) either.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Andromeda 0
Maria8475 Charmed 4