Kirill Yeskov's The Last Ringbearer

Ive heard of this book, will it ever see print in the UK or the US? Or will would the Tolkien estate block it?

Knowing nothing of this book, until I read this thread, I typed the title into Google and found a PDF version as the 3rd entry.

Looking at a discussion on SFFWORLD (crosses himself), it appears that the author has granted free distribution of the book on the internet, on the basis that no western publisher will touch it, for the reasons already mentioned.
I have no idea whether that statement is valid or a convenient fabrication, but it's available at least if you want it.

The idea sounds interesting, but I see (again in the same SFFWORLD discussion. (Genuflects and mutters a few Hail Maries)) that some have said the writing is poor, or possibly the translation. Once more this may be a biased opinion. Who knows.

I read a couple of pages but it grated on me I'm afraid. The voicing, perhaps obviously, is just very very un-Tolkeinesque. The beginning is really off kilter, and the language is very anachronistic in places. Doesn't feel like Middle-Earth. It just made me want to re-read LOTR!

But hey, it's free fanfic, so what do you expect?

I read a couple of pages but it grated on me I'm afraid. The voicing, perhaps obviously, is just very very un-Tolkeinesque. The beginning is really off kilter, and the language is very anachronistic in places. Doesn't feel like Middle-Earth. It just made me want to re-read LOTR!

But hey, it's free fanfic, so what do you expect?

Fan fiction can be a mixed bag.:)

This looks terrific. Does anyone know how I can access the free English translation through my Kindle?

I downloaded the epub version and did the email-convert thing through amazon.
There is software that converts as well, like calibre.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rodders JRR Tolkien 9