Sasquan - Worldcon in Spokane, 19th-23rd of August 2015

Deep Space Nina

Sasquan is the 2015 World Science Fiction Convention, also known as “Worldcon,” the annual gathering of science fiction and fantasy fans.

Worldcon celebrates the best works and creators in the speculative fiction field and culture, Hundreds of authors, editors, publishers, artists, scientists, game designers, and other creators and intellectual leaders will participate in the convention program.

Worldcons are the site of the Hugo Awards, the premier awards in the science fiction field, recognizing the greatest books and stories, related works, film, television, podcasts, and fan works.

The convention will feature panels, presentations, readings, autograph sessions, kaffeeklatsches, and discussion groups, as well as participatory activities including writing, art, and other workshops, costuming and cosplaying, filk and other music, games including role-playing, board, and card games, fanzines, children’s programming, and other activities.

There will also be an art show, dealers room, exhibits on science, publishing,and the history and culture of fandom, and a world-class stage masquerade with the best fan costumers.

Link: http://sasquan.org/

I bought my membership awhile ago, and I will be driving up to Spokane with friends. (Or, to be strictly accurate, they will be the ones doing the driving, and I will be riding.)

It would be amazing if some of our Chrons folks were there so that I could meet them.

For me it is very far away. If I come there, basically depends if I win the Trans-Atlantic Fan Fund. I think the chances aren´t that low, I only have one contra-candidate. But he is very well known in fandom and much longer into fandom than me. (Well, about 15 years for me is also not just "yesterday" ...) Nevertheless I hope for even more votes for me.

WFC is good, the smaller size makes it more friendly. At least it was the one time I went, and others have said that's the way it always is. I hope you have fun!

Thank you! It is the TransAtlantic Fan Fund (or TAFF). A North American Fan can travel to a convention in Europe or the other way round by the means of this fanfund. The winner is chosen by a vote of the fans. I will get a free flight, membership and accomondation for this Worldcon, as I will be some sort of special guest. I can also travel around a bit through North America to see other cons and meet other fans. You can imagine it as a kind of cultural exchange program among fans. This has been done since the early 50ies, but obviously I am the first Austrian ever who´d ever won. I am really happy and excited. And my mailbox is so full with all kinds of kind messages, congratulations, offers and advice from other fans.

I read that you are from Colorado. If you want, next year will be the race for the North Americans competing with each other to go to Europe. It will be one of my duties to take care of these candidates, explain everything to them, count the votes etc.

I bought my membership awhile ago, and I will be driving up to Spokane with friends. (Or, to be strictly accurate, they will be the ones doing the driving, and I will be riding.)

It would be amazing if some of our Chrons folks were there so that I could meet them.

I'm flying out from the UK. It's costing me a lot but I'll be there. I'm so excited!!! If you guys have a gathering of members at Worldcon, I'd love to drop by and say hi.

I don't know if there will be many Chrons people there, but Jennifer Carson and I will be driving up together. So that makes four of us.

Well, that still sounds great. Would be nice to meet some Chrons in person. I'm new to the community, but it really is awesome.

Denise Tanaka will be there, too. How could I forget? Like Jennifer, Denise is a dear friend of mine, and we'll be travelling together. They are both fairly new to the Chronicles, but are enthusiastic enough right now that I have hopes they'll be around for a long time. So that's five of us.

Great! Looks like there's going to be quite a few of us there.