The Invisible Man by H G Wells

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
This is far from being my favourite Wells book. I found the writing didn’t flow in the way I normally expect from Wells. His phonetic writing of the Sussex dialect forced me to really work on much of the dialogue to figure out what was being said. All very realistic I’m sure but not very helpful. Maybe this would have been better for people of Wells’ own time, I’ve certainly not met any modern Sussex fold that talk remotely like that. None of the characters (and I really do mean none of them) were in the least bit likeable; it was impossible to form any empathy for them whatsoever. The plot was disjointed and frankly not very interesting.

The few saving graces were the action scenes which he always does so well and the very shortness of the book! Actually one other saving grace was that the invisibility was not romanticised in any way; rather the book showed very clearly what a curse it was rather than a blessing.

A short book that, for me, fell well below its classic status.

Maybe I was too young to appreciate the "Artistic Quality" of Tono Bungay.
But in that time frame (late 1960s) I read:
Rise & Fall of Third Reich, Lord Of the Rings, Lord Of the Flies, Various Franz Kafka, Many Leslie Charteris (Saint), Simak, A.C. Clarke, Asimov, other HG Wells, Jules Verne, A kid for two Farthings and many others and enjoyed them.

You were much better read than me in the '60s (apart from the SF stuff!!!). I managed Lord of the Flies at school but confess it was a case of being dragged kicking and screaming all the way. I must re-try it one of these days and see if the (arguably) more mature me gets on better with it.