34.08: Mummy on the Orient Express

Lenny

Press "X" to admire hat
Trailer:

Synopsis:

The Doctor is on the most beautiful train in history, speeding among the stars of the future. But a deadly creature is stalking the passengers.

Once you see the horrifying Mummy you only have 66 seconds to live. No exceptions, no reprieve. As the Doctor races against the clock he’s seen at his deadliest and most ruthless. Will he work out how to defeat the Mummy? Start the clock!

---

For those tuning in on BBCOne, tonight's time is 20:35.

I really enjoyed it. The story was great, though the Doctor-Clara interaction was a little confusing. I liked the way it addressed the question of how heartless he's meant to be. All good.

EDIT re the implausibility of things. I mentioned this to my husband today before we watched Dr Who, and he looked at me askance and said, "You're talking about scientific plausibility in a series where the main character does everything with a magic wand?" (=sonic screwdriver). It's a good point, unless there's a decent scientific explanation for the magic wand, of course.

Last edited:
A far better effort. I didn't notice anything so ridiculous it would fit with my crackpot theory, but we've now met another ancient, malfunctioning soldier. (I suppose the malfunctioning explains why he accepted the Doctor's surrender, then acted on the Doctor's order.)

And it probably fits into the series of adversaries who want to return home/complete their missions. I wonder who that reminds us all of....

Hex: I really enjoyed it. The story was great, though the Doctor-Clara interaction was a little confusing. I liked the way it addressed the question of how heartless he's meant to be. All good.

EDIT re the implausibility of things. I mentioned this to my husband today before we watched Dr Who, and he looked at me askance and said, "You're talking about scientific plausibility in a series where the main character does everything with a magic wand?" (=sonic screwdriver). It's a good point, unless there's a decent scientific explanation for the magic wand, of course.

I haven't worked up the courage to watch this week's effort yet. I thought I'd just have a quick deco to see what others thought before deciding if I need to. So far the comments have been neutral so I suppose I'll have to get Mrs Tein to wedge open my eyes and force me to watch.

However, the science behind the original idea of the sonic screwdriver is quite sound (ho ho a pun). I think you can actually buy them.

Basically it works like a dentists plaque removing tool. The sonic vibrations dislodge rust and corrosion around a screw an so break down the oxides that surround difficult to remove screws.

So when it was used to gain access to panels and the like in say the Cybermen's spaceship it was quite feasible. By changing the frequency it could be possible to cause the screw to 'unscrew' itself. Vibration is quite a well used stimulus in the real world - It's what makes a flour mills filters work by stopping the flour from clogging up the gauze. It can be used to measure acceleration or even as above in the dentist's chair. However direct contact is usually required although a strong enough source could possibly work at a distance.

"Mummy on the Orient Express" was quite good and arguably the most consistent episode so far this season despite the resolution at the end being mostly off screen. I really like the visual of a train flying through outer space and I've been looking forward to it since it was first mentioned way back at the end of "The Big Bang". The special effects makeup used for the mummy was excellent both creepy and gruesome. Jenna Coleman really did look stunning in that dress. I thought the jelly baby scene was pretty funny. The bubble wrap line immediately made me think of "The Ark in Space" which I just recently rewatched (and used bubble wrap airbrushed green for the monster makeup). The scene where the mummy's hand passes through The Doctor's face looked really cool.

Are you my mummy?

Agreeing with all - best of the series so far, straight off. Story, acting, costumes, sets, all top notch.

Uh oh, I forgot to watch it again the second time! I'll have to catch it next week before the new episode.

Ursa said:
I didn't notice anything so ridiculous it would fit with my crackpot theory, but we've now met another ancient, malfunctioning soldier. (I suppose the malfunctioning explains why he accepted the Doctor's surrender, then acted on the Doctor's order.)

And it probably fits into the series of adversaries who want to return home/complete their missions. I wonder who that reminds us all of....

I was puzzled by that malfunction, myself -- one does not generally take orders from someone who has just surrendered.

The crackpot theory may still be in operation. Didn't it seem just a bit strange how it just cut off where Clara lost consciousness and picked up again after the action was over? There was something weird going on there. I feel like we were in a story that was being manipulated by someone. Even more than the rest of the story was manipulated by someone.

Didn't it seem just a bit strange how it just cut off where Clara lost consciousness and picked up again after the action was over?
Very, particularly when the TARDIS was on the other side of a force field**. And wouldn't it have taken a while for the Doctor to move all those unconscious people, a Doctor with no air to breathe? So yes, at least one step was missing.

And now lets add another crack to the pot. Perhaps the Doctor's mummy mother is involved in some way: it was mentioned that whoever was in control may have recognised the technology of the TARDIS and the sonic screwdriver. (Which civilisations do we know who could do that?)

** - Though the TARDIS may have been able to rematerialize near the Doctor, and given the plot had the "mummy" doing the same, I think this may have been being*** suggested.

*** - Warning: rare tense use.

Jelly babies in a cigarette tin - that was a laugh out loud moment!

Was that Einstein looking chap supposed to be Albert, or just comedy casting/styling?

And wouldn't it have taken a while for the Doctor to move all those unconscious people, a Doctor with no air to breathe? So yes, at least one step was missing.
I figured the air came back on and they moved to the TARDIS under their own steam.. But then Clara was still unconscious/asleep so maybe not?

Not sure if whoever's in control specifically knew about the TARDIS/screwdriver specifically, but they were certainly able to block the use of both. Again we'll have to wait and see if this all pays off down the line, or is simply a plot contrivance!

I would have been curious to see Missy sit down for tea and cakes with the mummy, but I suspect that if it shows up at all, it'll be as a threat controlled by her?

The lack of air didn't appear to affect the Doctor in the least.

And while it appeared that it was supposed to be jesting on the Doctor's part, he did tell Clara (after telling her that he moved everyone to this planet) that he had just taken her and blown up the train with everyone else aboard. Which one are we to believe?

It occurred to me this morning to wonder why Maizy (? Sorry, didn't get to see it with captions this time) and her mother were on the train, given that all the non-expert passengers were only holograms. Was she an expert in something? And her mother? Was her mother actually there at all? Or was it explained why she remained and I just missed it?

I thought it was quite entertaining.

As for the old woman? Well, you need to kill off a few people before the others take notice!

Dreadful: (for those wanting the quick version.

OK: we have an orient express snaking through space from side to side: why? Why when it stopped did it go all funny with kinked carriages.

Why was the train there at all. Whoever set it up could just as easily arranged for the train effect in a the 'holodeck' - ARE THEY REALLY SINKING THAT LOW without the need to actually be on a holodeck on a train.

Why was the door from the baggage car coming away from the Tardis in the side of the carriage, yet Clara got to the storage area with the stasis thing in it, at the end of a carriage?

Are we going to see more of the sonic shoe? Why not use the other shoe to get out?

What an earth was the countdown timer on the screen about. When have we ever had that point of view before. Not to mention Three Lions on his shirt guy sticking his appearance in. Why would he know anything about the inner workings of a Tardis and what was his expertise exactly? The rolls of plans was just crap. Oh and since he lived it's likely Who did save them all - surely he would have kicked off at Clara if Who had left them all to die. Plus when Who found the teleport innards of the mummy, he was intent on using it to recue them to the Tardis. (forcefield be damned) I think we can allow that if there's something Who knows about, it's teleport devices and their use.

Grabbing someone's mind/personality using what exactly? How handy would that have been in previous episodes?

And while we're at it, as someone asked, why was she there at all?

Why the old lady was there was obvious though. She was an expert in dying.

Now for the plot.

So some unknown adversary hi-jacks the Tardis and plonks Who into a new adventure. Clara, in the interim from the last - go screw yourself ending of the episode - has forgiven Who enough that the trot of for one last trip - the boyfriend who won't remember anything of a conversation he had with Clara,** is perfectly fine with it all, despite his previous 'he's going to get you killed' attitude toward Who.

**Because she's going to come back three seconds before she left etc.

then we get an elaborate load of nonsense whereby some people get killed by an apparition only they can see just to convince the captain to let Who deal with something he's been dragged half way across the universe for the sole purpose of investigating.

All those experts - did any of them speak - I can't remember.

Given the rate of attrition, every ten minutes or so, would there have been anyone left to die on the train by the time Who turned up? He got his invite weeks ago.

And so, so entity, knowing Who's abilities, gets him to solve his problem of how the mummy works so he can back engineer it. Marvelous. Four Billion years (estimate) of development and someone who can capture a Tardis, imprison Who and develop a space train with all it's gadgets, can't figure a better way to kill people. Ooh I know, maybe they could capture people (using a teleport device maybe) put them on a space train, buy an alarm clock and shock them all to death with an early morning call. (Or even evacuate the air from their sleeper).

I tell you, whatever these scriptwriters are being paid, it isn't enough. With talent like that they could be making a fortune in Hollywood.

Who's doing this - Who's mother? - why? presumably she can do anything any other time-lord can. She being a time-lord and all. What would be the reason. Did Who leave without tidying his room?

Clara? - She exists in all Who's timeline remember - Could be - Maybe Who's pissed her off so much by the last episode she thinks a little payback is due.

The Master? - Could be - He's done the rounds, maybe this is just another one.

The Queen of hearts? - My personal favourite.

The Cheshire Cat: de-materialisation a speciality - Could be.

God? Dodgy ground. Especially after H982FKL.

Who himself? He's got form for this in the previous episodes - Maybe it's all one big continuance of that.

River Pong? Who did mention her a few weeks back - Could be - Oh please not!!!

Danny? Seems a bit too happy with the Who situation. Could be a setup.

Anyway, basically - Usual poor standard IMO.

I did actually like this one (with the proviso that I was a little surprised to see Clara after last week's outburst) and I was particularly keen on the "Are you my mummy?" line - OK, so I'm easily pleased!

It was a bit jarring with the holodeck and the hard light holograms though - I'd prefer Doctor Who-y type made up names than stealing from Star Trek and Red Dwarf - or maybe that was the point to give it verisimilitude (blimey - don't get that in a sentence very often - bet I've used it incorrectly!)

And as for God being Gus TEiN, are you sure it wasn't Jezza masterminding it all?

I'm finding a great lack of interest in this programme now and a feeling that I should be doing something more worthwhile than watching it. I had two questions though that TEiN picked up on:
Why not use the other shoe to get out?
Also found the getting stuck inside the room odd.
Not to mention Three Lions on his shirt guy sticking his appearance in. Why would he know anything about the inner workings of a Tardis and what was his expertise exactly?
Well he was an Engineer! And since it clearly wasn't a real train, he wasn't a train engineer but a holosuite engineer using much the same technology as employed in a TARDIS, probably.

My question was - Was his name really "Perkins"? Or was the Doctor making fun of him in a 'Railway Children' way. Perkins was a station master. I'd say that Skinner was more of a 'Jones the Steam' or a 'Casey Jones' type.

Was it just me, or when the Doctor was talking to himself, before the jelly babies in the cigarette case, did he seem to channel the voice of the 4th Doctor?

I did actually like this one (with the proviso that I was a little surprised to see Clara after last week's outburst) and I was particularly keen on the "Are you my mummy?" line - OK, so I'm easily pleased!

It was a bit jarring with the holodeck and the hard light holograms though - I'd prefer Doctor Who-y type made up names than stealing from Star Trek and Red Dwarf - or maybe that was the point to give it verisimilitude (blimey - don't get that in a sentence very often - bet I've used it incorrectly!)

And as for God being Gus TEiN, are you sure it wasn't Jezza masterminding it all?

DoctorWhat: WHOA!!!!##

A real hard science fiction fan hey? Didn't think we had many of those here.

Jazza! Could be. I'm all in favour of a bit of cross series interaction, but I can't see why a pig farmer would be the mastermind behind this dreadful plot. Although it would explain why it was so dreadful.

But it would explain the trouble Elizabeth is getting into. And Could Who be behind the new planning application do you think?

I'm finding a great lack of interest in this programme now and a feeling that I should be doing something more worthwhile than watching it. I had two questions though that TEiN picked up on:

Also found the getting stuck inside the room odd.
Well he was an Engineer! And since it clearly wasn't a real train, he wasn't a train engineer but a holosuite engineer using much the same technology as employed in a TARDIS, probably.

My question was - Was his name really "Perkins"? Or was the Doctor making fun of him in a 'Railway Children' way. Perkins was a station master. I'd say that Skinner was more of a 'Jones the Steam' or a 'Casey Jones' type.

There's engineering and there's Tardis - A technology only known by the TLs and the Daleks as far as I know. If he was a holosuite engineer then he would be behind it, because the holo people were just to fill out the numbers for Who. But he had all the plans so I think he was supposed to be there.

If they were playing with the Railway children - dodgy business in the BBC nowadays - Then it would be hard to believe. Who amongst the current crop of Who watchers could make the connection - I can think of only one.:rolleyes:

Vladd: I'll Check - but it would make sense - they were his favourite nonsense after all.

I just thought when he said "A mummy only the victim can see" he sounded rather Tom Bakerish

DoctorWhat: WHOA!!!!##

A real hard science fiction fan hey? Didn't think we had many of those here.

Sadly, oh revered one, you give me too much credit! Just a lowly Top Gear fan referring to your number plate reference (although you can never totally trust pig farmers!)