Live Write Thrive

Have your read any of this Live Write Thrive author (C.S. Lakin's) books.

I would strongly recommend Conundrum it's not really in my genre; it's a psychological thriller. Think Psycho or Rear Window. It's a good place to see her demonstrate her skill.

Its good but not the best I have read in the genre. (which is not a lot to be honest.)

Castles: A Fictional Memoir of a Girl with Scissors by Benjamin X. Wretlind was my most recent.

Castles took me way our of my comfort zone but it was still well written.

Conundrum doesn't take you so much out of your comfort zone but it leads you down strange roads and deliberate blind alleys. Mostly as Macguffins to pull you away from what is real and make it difficult to focus on the mystery part which is really easy to figure out anyway. Unfortunately being inside the protagonist's head she covers the same ground too often.

These kinds of books seem to lend themselves to first person-because the idea is to be in the psyche of the POV character. And the character of Conundrum is constantly running through mental soliloquies about what might be based on partial incomplete information received which is part of what this type of book is all about. I felt she over used this aspect of the genre causing the first person character to digress into those painful moments of too much information which kept circling around and often repeating itself almost lulling me to non-functional reading.

Mechanically;grammatically the book was quite sound with a few glitches in the ebook formating splitting words at the b eginning letters and en d letters.

The redundancy was part of the psyche and creating a deliberate lack of reliability of the POV character; so that actually worked half way through the book it just gets old about the time you figure out everything and wonder why she keeps spinning her wheels.

I would still recommend the book and I think you should read it or at least one other of her books(if you haven't already); she has a few. This one was nice for me in that it did involve some bit of science in the main mystery.

It seems like the INTERNET [which abhors a vacuum) has spawn all types of writers help and guide books almost too numerous to possibly check them all.

This can be a good thing; and a bad thing. So I usually try to read anything the How to author has managed to put out there along with their How to advice.

Last edited:

Back