July 2014 -- SEVENTY-FIVE WORD WRITING CHALLENGE -- VICTORY TO BOWLER1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: July 2014 -- SEVENTY-FIVE WORD WRITING CHALLENGE -- READ FIRST POST!!

Last Wishes

It is lonely out here among the stars.

Should you receive this message, please inform my mother on Alpha Planet 41723 that I lost her ring in the swamps on Gamma Terra 8.

Let my father know that I forgive him about the Tarsag and tell my sister that I love her despite her poor choice in a mate.

My name is Comrade Reika.

It is lonely out here among the stars.

The Smiths

“Mr Smith, welcome back to Zeit Travel. And this must be Mildred?”

“Yes.”

“But she scans as your… grandmother?”

“Ah…”

“You’ve put her down as your wife?”

“Well…”

“And your son Rico-”

“He’s-”

“-scanning as your uncle?”

“Actually-”

“And this little bundle of joy is your… mother?”

“Okay,yes, it’s kind of a conundrum.”

“A conundrum?”

“Aaah, yeah… On my last time-cation I think I strayed a bit close to my own line.”

The Last Weather Lord​

The bones of my forefathers rattle as the storm dies. I relax cramped fingers and the magic crackles and stills.

‘Tis a blood calling, revered. But I loathe it. Chained by my talent to remain here my entire life.

Until I pass the scepter to my son.

But I have sworn to take no wife, sire no children. No bones will rattle after mine.

They must learn to weather the storm alone.

Rendezvous on Star Port 2 Orbiting Mars

"I know you don't like me. I'm sorry I wasn't there to take care of you, like a father should. It's all my fault, you never did anything wrong. You're the most wonderful daughter, anyone could ever have. You have the right, to be angry with me. I just wanted you to know, how I felt. I'll, go now..."

"Dad...I love you. Please stay."

(tears) "Sweetheart, I'll never leave you again." (embrace)

THE GIRL WHO LIVED

They stood together, both in labcoats, watching the infant through their glass pane.

“She’s adorable when she crawls.”

“Yeah, well… don’t get too attached Elaine.”

Elaine raised an eyebrow. “Why not?...”

“Because it’s not human, remember?”

“She might as well be.”

“It’s not.”

“Jason… everyone outside Africa has some Neanderthal DNA. What if she’s a clone of your ancestor? Or mine?”

He folded his arms. “Doesn’t matter.”

“Well as far as I’m concerned, she’s family.”

The new batch

Is the mike working?

Yes ma!

Pa Pepperpot. We are all here today to celebrate your two hundredth birthday!

Our children have flown from around the galaxy to celebrate with you.

Jenny and Frank are here from Alpha Centauri.

And Lionel is here with FnnnDerrk, his Rigelian mate who you’ve only ever seen in visiolink.

Even Davy Pepperpot, your son by your first marriage is here with his new children.

Whaddya say kids?

EXTERMINATE!
____________EXTERMINATE!

The Sims

So what you're saying Dad, is that we could just be a simulation in a game and we don't really exist?
Thats exactly what I’m saying, son.
So you're not really my Dad?
Correct.
And Mums not really my mum?
Nope.
So this deck is not really a desk, just a simulation of a desk.
Thats what they recon son.
OK, here’s my report card. Those D-’s are not really D-’s.

Test-Tube-Baby

The tank began sliding open and Maude felt the pang of anticipation. The naked boy was shivering from the cool lab air, and Silas chuckled as he helped the youngster emerge, wrapping him in a towel. Nearby, a lab assistant poured juice, handing the glass to Maude. “Read outs are all optimum, cell structure intact!” Silas said, scanning a nearby monitor.

The boy looked around, “where am I?”

Silas kneeled, "don't worry son, you're home."

The Man-Made Man

Don Rico lay on the floor, surrounded by his fallen bodyguards.

He coughed blood. “I took you in, made you my Consigliere, and this is how you repay me, Polyakov?”

I knelt down, my social interaction protocols generating a small smile.

The name is Polyakov Seventeen. Identity matters, even to an android. Anyway, organised crime is too important to be left in the hands of criminals. It requires more…”

I tore open his chest.

”…heart.”

Transitions

"This is Hermes, signing off." I sealed the door, leaving behind twenty years of my life. Alpha Centauri and back.

"Aboard the descender. Initiating separation."

Melanie's voice answered. "Roger that, Dave. We're all here. Waiting for you."

I swallowed hard. Twenty years. Everybody I knew had moved on – or died. These people were all I had. I had come to love them, their voices, images. They'd become more than a lifeline. More than friends even.

Endings and beginnings:

www.Cabeus_base_today.selene/news

Current news, 02/06/2071:

Obituaries:

We are saddened to announce that Andrew McKenzie, one of Cabeus lunar outpost’s oldest long term residents, has died today at the age of 89. He is survived by his son Robert…

Announcements:

The Mckenzie family is pleased to announce the birth of Jamie McKenzie, the twentieth child to be born on lunar soil, to Amanda and Robert McKenzie this morning.…

Last edited:

Dust to Dust

The doors of the crypt closed behind me, bringing darkness to my world. I could not feel the pain any more. The magic scars, the orc arrows, festering poisons, all the wounds just faded away.

I could feel them around me, my ancestors, all clammering for my attention. A king has fallen. My people mourn. My sound ascends.

A pure light expands, envelopes me in love, warmth and wonder, my family welcome me home.

She Talks To Angels

Crazy Mary talked to Angels, but Big Joe didn't mind.
Treated baby Emmanuel as his own.

When Mary spoke, Joe was awestruck.
Found himself outrunning Herod's Star Guard in his freighter.

Joe jettisoned his antimatter.
Flooded a new star nova, cutting off the guards.

Coasting on plasma drive into the sanctuary of Three Kings system, Joe watched the star shine over his little family.
Time to settle down. Work with his hands, maybe.

Carpentry...yeah.

Life Is What You Make It

“Daddy, daddy!”

Frank turned, smiling, and swept his giggling daughter into his arms. Clara, pregnant with their second, watched on, eyes glistening.

It’d been hard work getting things just the way he wanted. He eyed the perimeter fence. Woe betide anyone who tried to disturb his world.

– –

“Orbit insertion successful.”

“Hope Frank’s okay down there, all alone and out of radio contact for a year.”

“He’ll be fine. We should get quite a warm welcome.”

From a Struggling Artist

Dear parents,

Greetings from the Galactic Overlord.... Can’t I can dream?

Seriously, I want to thank you for your love and generosity. I’d have NOTHING without you.

I’m still on Jonesworld. Yes, I remember “what my knees are for.” No, I haven’t met any “interesting” guys.

Life for a Country singer is unpredictable. Who would have guessed “Forever Blue” would suddenly sell 5,000,000 copies?

I’m rich! :D OUR dreams came true!

You’re the Best!

Sharon

Ever after?

Miss Dose, the doctor's receptionist, daughter and, it was rumoured, occasional drug dealer herself, looked at the appointments list, before turning a card and ushering the next client into the examination room.

"Miss Bun, the Baker's daughter, you are in the family way."

"Master Hose swore he was protected!"

"Nevertheless, tests show you have a little Bun in the oven. Importantly, will it be baby hose the fireperson, or Baby Bun, the half-baked?"

The New Batch

“It is with a happy heart that I announce the most recent batch of clones have arrived and are in fine health. Join me as we sing the national anthem of Cloneia.”

“We are family
I got all my sisters with me
We are family
Get up ev'rybody and sing”

The music blasted out of massive speakers on either side of the stage as the clones danced and sang along, it was a beautiful thing.

The cost of War

Staring down the scope of his L-64 Phasic Rifle, Davien saw his brother clear as day through the window of the complex. He was so clear, it was hard to believe that they were 1000 meters apart. Five days tracking his captive brother, and it had come to this moment. His hands clammy and his heart heavy, he muttered a farewell.
One squeeze of the trigger, and his brother’s body became useless to the aliens.

My Brother’s Keeper

‘Remember when we were children? We were simply brothers then, our father’s sons, not caring whose mother was queen, whose a mistress.

‘But the world cared. One prince, one *******. They wanted me to hate you. Forgive me, at times I did.

‘I’ve made mistakes. I thought I wanted this. It’s too late now, gone too far. They’re coming.

‘But we are blood yet, brother. If they’re to kill you, they must go through me.’

It's All Relative

“...embezzlement--”

“My money! The family's money!”

“...theft of a merchant freighter and cargo--”

“Mine – the family's ship!”

“...kidnapping the crew--”

“Kidnapping!” The prisoner squeaked. “They came willingly -- ask them!”

“Oh, we will. Your father wants investigation into all possible charges.” Martin checked the prisoner's restraints. “He intends to make an example of you, pour encourager les autres.”

The prisoner shuddered.

Steering him toward the airlock, Martin paused.

“I almost forgot, Matthew – Mother sends her love.”

Status
Not open for further replies.