Not grim dark fantasy

biodroid

A.D.D.
Is there any modern or not so modern fantasy out there that does not have over the top violence and swearing in it, but has mind blowing scenery and has magic but not used in a deus ex machine kinda way? I am trying to read The Last Argument of kings, but just not getting into it at the moment. I feel like reading something more fun that has action but doesn't explain how the guts fall on the ground and then the killer wonders if he should not have killed that innocent person or not. I guess I still like my fantasy light and not so gloomy and dreary. I have read the first 2 First Law books by Joe Abercrombie and A Games of Thrones, as good as they are I just don't want that historical feel. I want adventure and visiting strange and beautiful places with danger along the way, but not danger for the sake of making it a plot device. Any suggestions? Sorry for the rambling. :D

Wheel of Time ;) (I know, you have your reservations, but it does fit all that you've said. It's all those that appealed to me about it, because I'm weary of grim at the moment).

(Plus the books are all out so you can push pretty quickly through 10 and 11 (the dreaded slow books, which I didn't mind, actually) and then 12 and 13 (and 14, no doubt, but I'm just on that) are awesome).

HoopyFrood - Maybe I should give WOT a try. I heard Brandon Sanderson said if you read book 10 without delay then it will make more sense and be less tedious than the few years wait that fans got when it was originally released.

Hitmouse - I forgot TP, I have a lot of his books on my shelf from my wife collection so I could give that a go as well.

I understand where you are coming from. i have found the game of thrones series increasingly depressing. I still have one on my shelf unread because I'm not sure I can cope with any more of my favourite characters being destroyed! (plus the last one I read was a real slog)

Have you read:

Robin Hobb's books? The Farseer Trilogy or The Liveship Traders

Spellwright by Blake Charlton I've only read the first in the trilogy so far. The magic system relies upon you writing out the spells, but the MC is dyslexic which adds a nice complication. :)

Or a self published series i read the second of earlier this year The Riddler's Gift: First Tale of the Lifesong by Greg Hamerton The first book is ok to good, the second one has a fantastic magical world and is much better.

Haven't read Hobb's books yet, I don't know if I can being a dog lover.

:confused: I'm a massive dog lover and I've read Hobb's books. Maybe try the Liveship books, I don't think there are even any dogs in those. Or in the Soldier Son books, that I remember.

Bio, I am a dog lover and loved the Hobb books. Highly recommend.

Have you tried Brent Weeks Black Prism. Really cool world and plot i that series.

The Innkeeper's Song, Tamsin, The Last Unicorn & A Fine and Private Place, all by Peter Beagle.

Swords and Deviltry by Fritz Leiber

Randy M.

Based on your criteria, I would recommend Dave Duncan's "The Gilded Chain" which is the first novel in a sequence called A Tale of the King's Blades. There are 3 novels in the sequence, all of which I read and thoroughly enjoyed. The other two are "Lord of the Fire Lands" and "Sky of Swords".

They are stand alone novels with a few tenuous connections (some characters reappear in other books but, on the whole, each book focuses on new characters).

The books are full of adventure, action and magic without the dark and gritty realism that you were having a hard time with in Abercrombie's works.

I agree about about the Duncan books. His stories about the King's Blades are a good suggestion (although some of the books are not as good as others). My favorite is Sky of Swords.

Awesome will take a look at these. I picked up Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding, and it has the feel I am looking for although it's no fantasy, it is light and entertaining. I was wondering if I should look at RA Salvatores Drizzt series but heard that it gets repetitive.

Yes, Salvatore's Drizzt books DO get repetitive after a while. However, the Dark Elf trilogy which details the origin of Drizzt (chronologically first but published after the Icewind Dale trilogy) is very good. They are great for a fun and light read. Plus, I found the society of the Dark Elves in their subterranean city of Menzoberranzan far more interesting than many of the characters and adventures that took place above ground in the later books.