1000 words - a flashback attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrett1987

Hey all, ok, this is one of my first flashbacks. There is script before and after it setting Jerrod's current scene. I indicate the flashback by typing it wholly in italics. I'm wondering how the flashback does on its own though. The flashbacks aim is to explain an important plot point, drop a hint about something important later on and introduce another char.

Critique away, don't hold back. I very much enjoy hearing from experienced writers. This book will be my first.

--------------------------
Jerrod looked up as the sound of a gunshot tore through the camp. Frozen in place with a bucket of water in his hands, he stood there staring towards where the sound had come from. Men all around him stopped what they were doing and looked towards the sound. As quick as the first came, two more shots followed and suddenly the men around Jerrod began running towards the centre of camp.

Dropping the bucket Jerrod ran after them trying to untangle his sword from his legs as he did. As he got closer the continuous sound of gunfire rang through the camp and the place was in chaos. All around him men were running in every direction with no leadership or purpose. A camp of a thousand well trained men had been reduced to anarchy in seconds.

Without warning a horse came galloping between two tents missing Jerrod by inches and he was thrown to the mud. Looking up at the departing horse he saw the rider pressed down towards the horse’s neck, in his arms he held a large ornate box. As Jerrod lay there he saw a few riders mount up and give pursuit.

Within moments quiet seemed to descend on the camp as people realised the danger had passed. Picking himself up from the mud, Jerrod made his way towards the very centre of camp and approached the large white tent that was the General’s preferred sleeping spot. On the floor in front of the tent lay the General, a gaping wound from his left eye. All around him men were down, mostly wounded and groaning in pain.

“Docs! We need Docs here!” A young captain was screaming for help.

Jerrod found himself frozen in place. He’d understood that an attack on the camp could happen in theory but he’d never dreamt that it actually would. The camp had represented home for a long time, now that an attack had actually happened he found he was unable to move. Shock gripped him in place. He watched as the camp’s Docs descended on the downed men. The small furry creatures hopped amongst the dead and the dying and did what little they could. Their nimble fingers worked with skill and precision in closing wounds and saving those who could be saved.

“One man….” Jerrod turned to see a small older man standing there with a look of horror on his face. The man was familiar from the card tables at night and Jerrod thought he might be called Bill. “One man did this, he ripped us apart…”

“What do you mean one man? Look around you. We’ve been hit hard” Jerrod replied incredulously.

“I know, but I saw it. It was just one man, shouting about some orb or something. Him and the General had words and then suddenly bullets were flying and people were dying.” Bill shook his head sadly. “Way of the world I guess.”

“Alive! Boss man alive. Quick, quick, helps me!” The shout had come from one of the Doc’s standing over The General’s body. Jerrod pulled his attention back to the front of the tent and watched as the men dragged the General inside. Through some unspoken agreement both men stood there and watched the tent without speaking.

As the minutes ticked on Jerrod began to seriously think that maybe it was time to go back home. He’d joined the mercenary band for an exciting life and he’d had one but this…this was too much excitement. It was one thing to go into a battle but it was another to have your home attacked without warning. With the General dying, now was the perfect time to hand in his papers and go home.

Suddenly a gut wrenching scream pierced the night, coming from the tent. One of the Docs came to the doorway jumping up and down in excitement. “Darks lady. Get witch!” Jerrod and Bill jumped to obey and set off in in different directions.

He ran through the camp shouting for her. He had no idea where she placed her head at night, if in fact she ever slept at all. After a few minutes a man shouted that she’d been seen heading south earlier and Jerrod cursed. The witch woman regularly left camp to go into the countryside. People muttered she went there to preform evil rituals and commune with demons. Spinning around he ran back towards the General’s tent. If the witch woman was out in the hills he’d never find her in time. As he arrived back at the tent he spied Bill standing in the same spot as before.

“What you doing here? Did you find her?”

“Aye, Orion have mercy but I did. She was just coming back into camp; she’d heard the gunshots and was returning anyway. I told her what went on and about the General’s state and she sped off into the tent.”
Jerrod struggled to get his breath back from the running. “Well, that’s good then, I figured she was still in the hills.”

“Not sure if it’s such a good thing I found her to be honest…” Bill muttered. “You know what she is…”
Jerrod looked at him out of the side of his eye, watching as Bill made a sign to ward off evil, not quite sure what to make of it all Jerrod kept silent. Before he could muse on it for long the tent flaps peeled back and the Docs came staggering out. The look on their small faces turned Jerrod’s blood cold.

As the Docs streamed pass, the young Captain from earlier reached out and stopped one of them. “What’s going on in there?”

“Dark lady in there. No work with her. No no no.” The small creature shuddered and then scampered off in pursuit of his brethren. The young captain cursed and watched the Doc join its brethren. A few moments later and the noises began. At first the low chanting was almost comforting but then the pitch changed and the shrieks and otherworldly roars grew louder….

I like your voice, and I can see you have a talent and imagination for doing stories, but your execution in this piece shows your lack of experience as the prose reads to me a bit like a film script. There is no sense of easy flow throughout the piece. Sorry, but if you want to write close third, you need to get better at doing it.

Hey all, ok, this is one of my first flashbacks. There is script before and after it setting Jerrod's current scene. I indicate the flashback by typing it wholly in italics.

just a thought - long sections of italics can be very hard to read. Maybe consider a change to a different sans-serif font instead?

he stood there staring towards

For immediacy, I'd consider where words could be reduced. Here what is different with
He stared towards
Or
He stood, staring towards?

Men all around him stopped what they were doing and looked towards the sound. As quick as the first came, two more shots followed and suddenly the men around Jerrod began running towards the centre of camp.

The repeat of men all around again lost immediacy to me. Also - and this is the trick with close third - what would Jerrod refer to them as? Men from the barracks the tribe, the gang? A little touch like this can make a pov stronger.

Dropping the bucket Jerrod ran after them trying to untangle his sword from his legs as he did. As he got closer the continuous sound of gunfire rang through the camp and the place was in chaos. All around him men were running in every direction with no leadership or purpose. A camp of a thousand well trained men had been reduced to anarchy in seconds.

Again, I think a tight cull could make this more active and engaging eg

Dropping the bucket, Jerrod followed, trying to untangle his sword from his legs. The continuous sound (as he got closer a. Removes us from his thoughts a little and slows the action and b. Is redundant as we know he's running closer) of gunfire rang through the camp. The place was in chaos. (Short sentences for action scenes.) Men ran in every direction, with no leader or purpose, a thousand well-trained men reduced to anarchy in seconds.

Without warning by putting this in, you give us warning. How much more exciting and active would it be without the warning ;)a horse came galloping again, galloped says the same in one word and is active rather than passive between two tents missing Jerrod by inches and he was thrown to the mud.

Within moments quiet seemed to descend on the camp

Did it descend? If so, cut seemed. Also, how is Jerrod feeling during this? Mouth dry, heart hammering, sweaty hand slipping on the sword? Is he a seasoned fighter or a rookie scared out of his mind? Is there anyone he's worried about - in a close pov all these things pull us closer.

Jerrod found himself frozen in place. He’d understood that an attack on the camp could happen in theory but he’d never dreamt that it actually would. The camp had represented home for a long time, now that an attack had actually happened he found he was unable to move. Shock gripped him in place. He watched as the camp’s Docs descended on the downed men. The small furry creatures hopped amongst the dead and the dying and did what little they could. Their nimble fingers worked with skill and precision in closing wounds and saving those who could be saved.
again, you could cull this. Jerrod froze in place. He'd understtid an attack coukd happen, but had never dreamt it would. (I'd then cut the next sentence - it's telling and it repeats the first to a large extent.

Shock gripped him in place - how? Icy sweat? Panic? This could be a lovely show.

I'm out of time, sorry, but I hope it's helpful. I think there's much in it to like and a good tighten would make it more immediate and closer. Good luck!

I like your voice, and I can see you have a talent and imagination for doing stories, but your execution in this piece shows your lack of experience as the prose reads to me a bit like a film script. There is no sense of easy flow throughout the piece. Sorry, but if you want to write close third, you need to get better at doing it.

Totally, i've been putting up different parts of my story just to get feedback. I'm as novice as they come. The idea is that as i get critique and wisdom comes my way i'll get better.

I will get better at it :) Promise :) I'm 45k-50k words into the story with a clear layout. When its finally finished im sure ill spend a solid year editing it, rewriting it, improving it. Its fun :D

I actually like this piece. It works well as a flashback. If it indicates your style all the time there may be some considerations such as ctg noted. On the other hand if it's a slight bit of a deviation from the norm that might work to give the flashback its own flavor.

A close third that is a bit wobbly at the knees because its a bit of a remembrance.

Even in close third your showing and telling in a lot of places. Used with other writing tools this would be fine but your not mixing a lot more writing tricks in yet. There was very little emotion, no sense of background or scene setting (there is some, but not enough for me, but this could just be the action scene too and background could already have been done). Your not right with the character just yet. I can see you trying, but it's not quite right yet.

Jarred runs around the place yet is never breathless. Where are the tent wires, cooking fires or even the other runners bumping into him or others. The confusion s quickly settled, which was disappointing and didn't feel very real. What the character sees and feels, there wasn't enough and because of that it was a little flat. Easily fixed, so don't beat yourself up too much.

As per the last Crit, good writing and of a good standard and showing promise I'd say.

Jarred runs around the place yet is never breathless. Where are the tent wires, cooking fires or even the other runners bumping into him or others. The confusion s quickly settled, which was disappointing and didn't feel very real. What the character sees and feels, there wasn't enough and because of that it was a little flat. Easily fixed, so don't beat yourself up too much.

Great suggestions here, deffo will remember that when i add to the chapter. thank you.

Hey all, ok, this is one of my first flashbacks. There is script before and after it setting Jerrod's current scene. I indicate the flashback by typing it wholly in italics. I'm wondering how the flashback does on its own though. The flashbacks aim is to explain an important plot point, drop a hint about something important later on and introduce another char.

Critique away, don't hold back. I very much enjoy hearing from experienced writers. This book will be my first.

Jerrod looked up as the sound of a gunshot tore through the camp. Frozen in place with a bucket of water in his hands, he stood there staring towards where the sound had come from. Men all around him stopped what they were doing and looked towards the sound. As quick as the first came, two more shots followed and suddenly the men around Jerrod began running towards the centre of camp.

Dropping the bucket Jerrod ran after them
Comma
trying to untangle his sword from his legs as he did. As he got closer the continuous sound of gunfire rang through the camp and the place was in chaos. All around him men were running in every direction with no leadership or purpose. A camp of a thousand well trained men had been reduced to anarchy in seconds.

Without warning a horse came galloping between two tents
Comma
missing Jerrod by inches and he was thrown to the mud. Looking up at the departing horse he saw the rider pressed down towards the horse’s neck,
Comma splice
in his arms he held a large ornate box. As Jerrod lay there he saw a few riders mount up and give pursuit.

Within moments quiet seemed to descend on the camp as people realised the danger had passed. Picking himself up from the mud, Jerrod made his way towards the very centre of camp and approached the large white tent that was the General’s preferred sleeping spot. On the floor in front of the tent lay the General, a gaping wound from his left eye. All around him men were down, mostly wounded and groaning in pain.

“Docs! We need Docs here!” A young captain was screaming for help.

Jerrod found himself frozen in place. He’d understood that an attack on the camp could happen in theory but he’d never dreamt that it actually would. The camp had represented home for a long time,
Comma splice.
now that an attack had actually happened he found he was unable to move. Shock gripped him in place. He watched as the camp’s Docs descended on the downed men. The small furry creatures hopped amongst the dead and the dying and did what little they could. Their nimble fingers worked with skill and precision in closing wounds and saving those who could be saved.

“One man….” Jerrod turned to see a small older man standing there with a look of horror on his face. The man was familiar from the card tables at night and Jerrod thought he might be called Bill. “One man did this, he ripped us apart…”

“What do you mean one man? Look around you. We’ve been hit hard” Jerrod replied incredulously.

“I know, but I saw it. It was just one man, shouting about some orb or something. Him and the General had words and then suddenly bullets were flying and people were dying.” Bill shook his head sadly. “Way of the world I guess.”

“Alive! Boss man alive. Quick, quick, helps me!” The shout had come from one of the Doc’s
No apostrophe; plural, not possessive
standing over The
Capital "the"? If you're sure, use it again on the next one.
General’s body. Jerrod pulled his attention back to the front of the tent and watched as the men dragged the General inside. Through some unspoken agreement both men stood there and watched the tent without speaking.

As the minutes ticked on Jerrod began to seriously think
Split infinitve
that maybe it was time to go back home. He’d joined the mercenary band for an exciting life and he’d had one
Punctuate
but this…this was too much excitement. It was one thing to go into a battle but it was another to have your home attacked without warning. With the General dying, now was the perfect time to hand in his papers and go home.

Suddenly a gut wrenching scream pierced the night, coming from the tent. One of the Docs came to the doorway
Comma
jumping up and down in excitement. “Darks lady. Get witch!” Jerrod and Bill jumped to obey and set off in in different directions.

He ran through the camp shouting for her. He had no idea where she placed her head at night, if in fact she ever slept at all. After a few minutes a man shouted that she’d been seen heading south earlier and Jerrod cursed. The witch woman regularly left camp to go into the countryside. People muttered she went there to preform evil rituals and commune with demons. Spinning around he ran back towards the General’s tent. If the witch woman was out in the hills he’d never find her in time. As he arrived back at the tent he spied Bill standing in the same spot as before.

“What you doing here? Did you find her?”

“Aye, Orion have mercy but I did. She was just coming back into camp; she’d heard the gunshots and was returning anyway. I told her what went on and about the General’s state and she sped off into the tent.”
Jerrod struggled to get his breath back from the running. “Well, that’s good then,
Comma splice
I figured she was still in the hills.”

“Not sure if it’s such a good thing I found her to be honest…” Bill muttered. “You know what she is…”
Jerrod looked at him out of the side of his eye, watching as Bill made a sign to ward off evil,
Comma splice
not quite sure what to make of it all Jerrod kept silent. Before he could muse on it for long the tent flaps peeled back and the Docs came staggering out. The look on their small faces turned Jerrod’s blood cold.

As the Docs streamed pass, the young Captain from earlier reached out and stopped one of them. “What’s going on in there?”

“Dark lady in there. No work with her. No no no.” The small creature shuddered and then scampered off in pursuit of his brethren. The young captain cursed and watched the Doc join its brethren. A few moments later and the noises began. At first the low chanting was almost comforting but then the pitch changed and the shrieks and otherworldly roars grew louder….

This sentence is a bit more than just a comma splice; or I'm over thinking it.

Jerrod looked at him out of the side of his eye, watching as Bill made a sign to ward off evil, not quite sure what to make of it all Jerrod kept silent.

While trying to get a sense of what you are trying to say I got this.

Jerrod looked at Bill out of the side of eye, not quite sure what to make of it. Jerrod kept silent. And then there's this (watching as Bill made a sign to ward off evil)
maybe::
Jerrod looked out of the side of his eye at Bill, who made a sign to ward off evil, not quite sure what to make of it. Jerrod kept silent.

But that comes close to changing it. If you want to keep it together maybe::

Jerrod looked out of the side of his eye at Bill, who made a sign to ward off evil; not quite sure what to make of it, he kept silent.

Or Split it::

Jerrod looked out of the side of his eye at Bill, who made a sign to ward off evil. Not quite sure what to make of it, he kept silent.

It might come down to pacing and how much you want to stretch guidelines to get that pacing.

This is very good, overall. It could do with some tightening, but what can't? And I have to agree that the looseness in fact works very well as a flashback.

Springs is right though, long stretches of italics are not a good practice

trying to untangle his sword from his legs as he did. Lose this, if you're carrying a sword at all it's usually secured in some way. It detracts from credibility otherwise and doesn't seem to be necessary.

I thought the furry little "Docs" were a very original concept, but then you made one talk and thoughts of dreaded Ewoks arose. Thank all the gods you seemed to have taken your JarJar repellent. Just as an idea, why would a specialized animal like creature, especially a small one talk at all? Wouldn't a set of gestures and maybe a few meaningful grunts and whistles or such work just as well?

Finally, it seems a strangely calm camp for one where the general has just been nearly assassinated. I can't help but wonder why everybody isn't after this guy, not just a few riders.

Last edited:
Actually I like the italics in some parts of writing. In fact, I know of an award winning novella from this last year that had six two page each or more of italicized flashbacks. It also was devoid of any quotation marks in the dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.