George MacDonald's Goblin books and other fantasy

Extollager

Herewith a thread for the discussion of fantasy by George MacDonald (1824-1905). His children's books The Princess and the Goblin and The Princess and Curdie, his short faerie tales such as "The Golden Key," "Photogen and Nycteris," "The Light Princess," "The Carasoyn," etc., and other works (Lilith, Phantastes, At the Back of the North Wind) have won admirers ever since their initial publication in the Victorian era. Readers and collectors of the Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series edited by Lin Carter will remember the generous servings of MacDonald to be found in it:
500x500.jpg

7982804726_2168cd1a48_m.jpg

2867571.jpg

This one contained "Photogen and Nycteris" (The Day Boy and the Night Girl):
8e2dc0a398a0ced04841c110.L.jpg

Last edited:
To mention just one admirer of MacDonald: J. R. R. Tolkien cherished MacDonald's Princess and the Goblin and shared it with one or more of his children; and the goblins in The Hobbit are indebted to MacDonald. He singles out MacDonald for praise in his indispensable essay "On Fairy-stories." However, late in life Tolkien became critical of MacDonald because of the overly intrusive narrator who appears at times.

These MacDonald works should be available as free downloads. I think the best way to read The Princess and the Goblin, a good one to start with, is to get hold of an edition illustrated by MacDonald's son-in-law Arthur Hughes, who responded well both to the beauty of the Lady's realm and to the grotesque and sinister realm of the goblins.

Maybe JDW would like to find what Lovecraft wrote about MacDonald's Lilith and share it here...

My mom read me the Princess and the Goblin as a child and it really sparked an interest in Fantasy. I have not seen a copy of it in twenty five years but if I ever do have children I will for sure find it.

I remember my overactive imagination exploding at that book. Good memories :)

George MacDonald is a character in CS Lewis' Great Divorce - he's the narrator and guide through the levels of hell.

Its been such a long time since I read George MacDonald's stories I'm not sure I could discuss them intelligently but they engrossed me at a time. I do know it was a Harry Potter like experience as I kept going back to the library for more of his work until I'd exhausted them. That's how I ended up reading Narnia and being disappointed with Lord of the Rings.

The two Pirincess books are highly recommended. I found being read The Princess and the Goblins genuinely scary as a young child.