Siege of Gernrik, Chapter 2 rewrite (1460 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glisterspeck

Frozen sea axe smith
This is a rewrite to replace the chapter critiqued here:

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/540262-third-chapter-gernrik-992-words.html

The original was heavily influenced by the Battle of the Ants from Walden (which you can read here: The Battle of the Ants - Chapter 12 of "Walden" by Henry David Thoreau - Classic American Essays , if you like) and was meant to be a metaphor for the warring factions in the book, but according to several readers, it just wasn't working.

That chapter is gone. This new introduction reworks what was the second Ayos chapter, which originally involved talking to a pillbug for several pages! Included for critique is about two-thirds of the new chapter.

As always, I'm most interested in if it hooks and if you would continue reading, but I love the detailed critiques as well: very helpful stuff. I'm a little wary of the amount of exposition in here. I've tried to mix it in, but it still feels info-dumpy to me. Trying to get folks to care one way or another about the guy.

Ayos slid down the shoulder of the final step. Leather buckets swung wildly from a yoke held across his neck. His feet, each bound in a scrap of fleece, slipped through the scree, scattering gravel down the slope. The wind howled against him. It whipped the once white cloak of a pilgrim about his gaunt frame. Flailed his matted locks against his cheeks. Tore at his ragged beard.

"Helstrom!" Ayos shouted, into the wind. "I will not fall! But if I fall, it is better to have fallen to my death sensing the Lingering Presence of the Hayom than to fall from their presence and still live."

His legs wobbled. The thin air bit at his lungs. A half-buried stone caught his foot, and his ankle turned. Ayos spun in the wind. He tumbled against the rocks. Like a hundred armored fists, cobbles pummeled his body. The yoke bounced down the scree behind him, dragging the buckets, spilling ice hacked from a glacier above. Ayos crashed against a peculiar boulder, one of many that dotted the slope. Huddling against the boulder, he pulled the yoke across the loose stones. He pushed the fleece down over his foot. Winced when it crossed his tender ankle.

"What is life spent outside the Lingering Presence?" he mumbled. "Agony, Helstrom. Agony. What is life spent in the True Presence of the Hayom? True life, unknown glory."

Ayos took a chunk of ice from one of the leather buckets. He pressed the ice against his ankle. Flinched at its sting. The ankle was not broken. The sharp pain where his ribs had slammed against the boulder hurt worse.

He bound the ice in the fleece that covered his foot and took a second chunk from the bucket. He reached beneath his cloak. Touched a satchel made of waxed burlap. His fingers crossed a circular ridge pressed in the burlap. The ridge felt like a part of him. A twisted sinew jutting from his flesh. Ayos pushed the satchel aside and held the ice against his ribs.

The ice burned. Ayos clenched his teeth and looked out over the step's stark landscape. The gray rock upon gray rock, piled up on all sides of a dry lakebed. The sharp white glaciers that divided the gray of the step's shoulders from the night sky. The snowcapped peaks that pierced the clouds on either side of the Heavenly Ladder. A grim place, Father Mutebro had called it. A final test meant to prepare the pilgrim for the treacherous climb up the Heavenly Ladder.

The camp of the Medaveans, pitched all around the dry lake, began to stir. Nurses lugged buckets to the cult’s infirmary. A torchlit patrol relieved the soldiers who guarded the steps up to Brackmeer. The guards stood on a quay that had once reached into the waters of a black lake. The landing now stood among war machines that looked, from where Ayos sat, like a young lord's scattered toys.

"Boys playing boyish games," said Ayos, the icy fire spreading across his chest. "Had it been you those boys refused, Helstrom... You would not have been turned away. Not by a hundred like them, not by a thousand. You would have climbed to Brackmeer. To the ladder."

Ayos shuddered at the sight of the goblin stronghold, crags of mud and cobble hovels that the goblins had heaped upon the walls and terraces of the ancient city, so that the roof of the first became the floor of the second, a crumbling warren, climbing up into the hollow beneath the step's headwall.

"Hymarom," Ayos whispered. The word, given breath, somehow eased his pains. Hymarom was the city's true name. The name given by the Hayom when they carved it from the mountain. Before they climbed the ladder. Before the goblins took it.

"Why would I think of it as Brackmeer?" Ayos asked, shaking his head. "You knew me well, Helstrom. Better than any other. Have I forgotten myself on this mountain?”

A light glimmered deep in the hollow, atop the mound of slums. Ayos's lips, split and bloodied by the bitter air, curled in the shadow of his beard. The glimmer came from the Lantern of Myja, the beacon which marked the base of the Heavenly Ladder. Ayos watched the glimmer dance and remembered each ruined lantern he had passed on his trek up the stair. Each anointing, each reading from the book.

The remains of several lanterns had stood atop each pass between steps, and the valleys that formed the steps had held such numbers that, in the old days, before the rise of the cult of Medavea, one’s light could always be seen from the last all along the Hayomet Road. The cult had razed those lanterns long before Ayos found them. They had turned them into milestones. Carted the stones off for building material.

Ayos pulled the chunk of ice from beneath his cloak. He hurled it toward the camp. Toward the executor’s pavilion. Clerics bustled about the pavilion. Snakes. Snakes in the service of a viper. The ice burst against the scree below. Ayos scowled after it.

“To build stoves!" He shouted, throwing his hands in the air. "The Lantern of Ayma! Its light will never again welcome a pilgrim to the western shore of the black lake. I was the last. They tore down the tower, used its stones to... to build stoves! You were there, Helstrom. Saw them arrest me when I tried to stop them. Heard them mock me. You told me to strike the one who called me crazy. A madman!"

Ayos pulled himself up onto the strange boulder. He flexed his ankle. Tested its range of movement. It had been forty days since they had banished him. For forty nights he had trekked up to the glaciers and chipped ice to trade for nerkir slop. He had watched the camp bed down and wake for forty-- Something was different.

It was too early. The moon still passed overhead, yet lanterns glinted from the Hymarom Steps to the ridge that marked the pass down to the Mist Valley. Soldiers marched up a lane that followed the ridge to the head of the Great Stair. In an open-air kitchen between the camp’s tents and the lane, a woman danced. She handed something too small to see to each passing officer. Ayos grinned.

“You remember the tokens, Helstrom? You used to take them from the men. Break them. They called you a prig for that. No executor was so strict.”

The last soldier passed. The woman turned and stirred a kettle that sat on a makeshift stove. Five such stoves dotted the open kitchen, all built from the ruins of the Lantern of Ayma. Smoke trickled from the rubble piled beneath the kettles. The woman ladled something into a bowl. A gust lifted a shawl from her head. Ayos remembered her. An aunt to the Sisters of Kindness.

“She was there, that one. Watching. They were all there. They heard what the soldier called me. Crazy. You made me beat him. I should not have done so. I should not have broken my vows. I might have killed him, had the Lingering Presence not stayed my hand.”

The aunt pushed her hair back beneath her shawl. She took a mug from the stove. Crossed the clearing to the guild's pavilion. It was not the chill air that made Ayos's lip tremble. Not the wind that made him squint.

“It is poison," spat Ayos. "All of it. The cult is a horntail viper. Its teachings are venom. The executors, its fangs. Why will they not let me climb the Hymarom Steps to the Heavenly Ladder? Why?”

Ayos seized a nearby stone. He flung it toward the camp. Glared after it. The aunt returned. Her nieces followed. They gathered around the stoves, clutching layered robes against the brisk air, rubbing tired eyes.

“And this executor, Helstrom, this Gom oc Deoc, no man is as cunning as he. He stole your life from you and threatens to do the same to me, forbidding me to climb. What is life spent outside the Lingering--”

Ayos shot up. He teetered atop the boulder. The aunt was leading the sisters up the lane that climbed the ridge. The ovelyn. The sisters would not leave their pavilion for any other reason.

"The ovelyn comes today!” Ayos shouted. His pulse racing, Ayos clambered off the boulder. Everyone would leave the camp to welcome the Ovelyn. He could light the lantern. What was left of it. Perform the anointing. Become one with Ayma of the Hayom. Ayos hefted the yoke over his neck. He balanced it across his shoulders. Began to pick his way down the slope.

Just an initial feeling about the writing. I enjoyed the read, but came away a bit confused. I would need to read it again paying more attention to the progression of Ayos's thoughts and the story he seems to be weaving.

There seems to be a bit of obfuscation in the writing, for me at least, that runs the risk of creating a sense of obscurity which would be bad. I'm not sure what it is but in many cases I'd find myself ridiculed for having a shallow mind when it comes to highbrow writing.

That said- I've enjoyed reading Samuel Beckett, but in low doses. I don't know why but this reminded me of his writing. I felt it as well written and I'd be tempted to read more to see if my mind might (unscru) the inscrutable pieces. Somehow I felt lost near the end.

I do have a question about the scree.

I'm not sure about what scree is to you here but what I know of scree(which I'll admit is a bit less than I'd like to know) is that it is loose rock that might easily move when walked upon(which would explains Ayos' slipping). I only am familiar with it being small rock all the way to pebble, but it seems there might be instances where it is larger. The largest question might be if and why he has to walk on it especially if it's larger scree which might be in danger of shifting(avalanche style) unless the scree has reached a level where there would be no more room for other scree to form from various weathering aspects. And unless I have this wrong, there are people living on the scree.

Maybe there is some explanation later. I'm not sure people live on the scree, or would want to. Again I am limited in my knowledge about scree. And I might have gotten too confused and just imagined these people living on the scree.

Good writing though. Excellent imagery.

It would be a slow read for me but I think I'd enjoy it. Even having to go back to try to figure some of it out.

Thanks for the feedback, Tinkerdan! You've got the scree nailed. ;) It falls from the weathered shoulders and cliff faces of the valley. Ayos has been kicked out of the camp, which is on the floor of the valley. This valley is a hanging valley, carved long ago by a glacier, which he calls the Heavenly Ladder. Brackmeer isn't built on the scree, but on another level of the hanging valley, above the lake, below the headwall. This is the first real description of the place, though the first chapter has a description as part of a vision.

Thanks for this.

What works well

We have a great variety of vocabulary, and some sensational descriptions.
Great evocation of a cold hard landscape
You really wonder why he is putting himself through this.

Could be better if
Repetition of Haelstrom ( was that the name ) could do with knowing whether it's a city or a religion

Nurses lugging buckets. Nursing is always a skilled profession, if there is no running water, they will have children, old women, young lads etc lugging water.

Suggestion

In the absence of a traveling companion, horse or servant, always useful props in these types of scene, could we have an ongoing conversation/ inner dialogue with himself or his mentor?

We have descriptions and spoken words, but not what is he thinking.

I am going to have another read just in case. These are my first thoughts

PS second thoughts - could the aunt have a name, could he not stop for few kind words, we all ( he and us the reader) need a break from the cold, maybe?

Last edited:
My reading tolerance was pushed with this section, which was fairly long and with not a whole lot happening. I found the short sentence structure hard to deal with all the time and felt many of these could have been linked for better flow. Yet, as ever, interesting. I can never fault you for the skill you show in writing, but you don’t make it easy on the reader, or at least here you don’t. If the reader has a great deal invested in the character to this point then yes, the 40 days and nights of suffering are something I’d go through with the character. So a hard section to judge on its own, as I don’t know what’s come before. The very strength and weakness of the Crit section, where we get little nibbles only. Goo0d luck with it.

I liked this enough to search out your other Gernrik posts.

Like Bowler1, I found the short, harsh sentences in this section difficult, although I assumed it was intended to reflect the pounding wind and harsh environment. I was pleased to find that the tone of the other sections was different.

I also found it difficult to visualise the setting. I was confused by the description of him looking out over the step, when he has already 'slid down the shoulder of the final step.' The need to make sense of the setting distracted me from the story.

I had a few issues related to individual sentences or words but, overall, I found much more to like than to dislike.

The three excerpts together kept my interest, but I am disturbed by two things.

It seems that Hymarom, Gernrik and Brackmeer are the same city, taken over by different invaders (am I right?) but I don't have any sense of the chronology of this change.

I have met three protagonists and, although their voices are very strong, I don't find any of them sympathetic. If I read this as a sample, I would need to find a character that I cared about, before I bought the book.

Go on then, I'm in a red-teethy mood. ;)

Ayos slid down the shoulder of the final step. Leather buckets swung wildly from a yoke held across his neck. His feet, each bound in a scrap of fleece, slipped through the screeI have no problem with scree, in fact I like it, scattering gravel down the slope. The wind howled against him. It whipped thehis? without the attribution it could conceivably have been carried on the wind once white cloak of a pilgrim about his gaunt frame. Flailed his matted locks against his cheeks. Tore at his ragged beard.I'm not that keen on the second fragment, but I know that is your style, and it's probably better laid out at this stage. :)

"Helstrom!" Ayos shouted, into the wind. "I will not fall! ButRather weakens the earlier statement. I'd prefer this from If I fall, actually (although I have a lingering suspicion he's shouting it to give me some info...) if I fall, it is better to have fallen to my death sensing the Lingering Presence of the Hayom than to fall from their presence and still live."

His legs wobbled. The thin air bit at his lungs. A half-buried stone caught his foot, and his ankle turned. AyosHis name is cropping up quite a lot and in a single-person sequence I'm not sure we need it so often. spun in the wind. He tumbled against the rocks. Like a hundred armored fists, cobbles pummeled his body. The yoke bounced down the scree behind him, dragging the buckets, spilling ice hacked from a glacier above. Ayos crashed against a peculiarwhy is it peculiar, and why is he noticing that when being bounced around? boulder, one of many that dotted the slope. Huddling against the boulder, he pulled the yoke across the loose stones. He pushed the fleece down over his foot. Winced when it crossed his tender ankleNo, these fragments aren't working for me. I think it's because they're not a thought or anything, but a description. If it was something in his voice, I'd be okay with it, but as it's part of the flow of the book, a descriptive thing, then they jar with me. I hope that makes sense. .

"What is life spent outside the Lingering Presence?" he mumbled. "Agony, Helstrom. Agony. What is life spent in the True Presence of the Hayom? True life, unknown glory."

Ayos took a chunk of ice from one of the leather buckets. He pressed the ice against his ankle. Flinched at its sting. The ankle was not broken. The sharp pain where his ribs had slammed against the boulder hurt worse.

He bound the ice in the fleece that covered his foot and took a second chunk from the bucket. He reached beneath his cloak. Touched a satchel made of waxed burlap. His fingers crossed a circular ridge pressed in the burlap. The ridge felt like a part of him. A twisted sinew jutting from his flesh. Ayos pushed the satchel aside and held the ice against his ribs.

The ice burned. Ayos clenched his teeth and looked out over the step's stark landscape. The gray rock upon gray rock, piled up on all sides of a dry lakebed. The sharp white glaciers that divided the gray of the step's shoulders from the night sky. The snowcapped peaks that pierced the clouds on either side of the Heavenly Ladder. A grim place, Father Mutebro had called it. A final test meant to prepare the pilgrim for the treacherous climb up the Heavenly Ladder.About here I'm starting to find it a little listy, and also wonder what the point of all this is.

The camp of the Medaveans, pitched all around the dry lake, began to stir. Nurses lugged buckets to the cult’s infirmary. A torchlit patrol relieved the soldiers who guarded the steps up to Brackmeer. The guards stood on a quay that had once reached into the waters of a black lake. The landing now stood among war machines that looked, from where Ayos sat, like a young lord's scattered toys.

"Boys playing boyish games," said Ayos, the icy fire spreading across his chest. "Had it been you those boys refused, Helstrom... You would not have been turned away. Not by a hundred like them, not by a thousand. You would have climbed to Brackmeer. To the ladder."

Ayos shuddered at the sight of the goblin stronghold I have no idea where this is, I'm now lost -- is this different from the camp below?, crags of mud and cobble hovels that the goblins had heaped upon the walls and terraces of the ancient city, so that the roof of the first became the floor of the second, a crumbling warren, climbing up into the hollow beneath the step's headwall.

"Hymarom," Ayos whispered. The word, given breath, somehow eased his pains. Hymarom was the city's true name. The name given by the Hayom when they carved it from the mountain. Before they climbed the ladder. Before the goblins took it.

"Why would I think of it as Brackmeer?" Ayos asked, shaking his head. "You knew me well, Helstrom. Better than any other. Have I forgotten myself on this mountain?”I'm definitely getting twitchy at the dialogue. It's there to give information, I think, and, for me, that makes it a little obvious. See what others say, though.

A light glimmered deep in the hollow, atop the mound of slums. Ayos's lips, split and bloodied by the bitter air, curled in the shadow of his beardnice, but I do wonder how Ayos would know this in his pov. It's nearly too nice to matter, though, and I suppose it depends how close you want the pov. The glimmer came from the Lantern of Myja, the beacon which marked the base of the Heavenly Ladder. Ayos watched the glimmer dance and remembered each ruined lantern he had passed on his trek up the stair. Each anointing, each reading from the book.

The remains of several lanterns had stood atop each pass between steps, and the valleys that formed the steps had held such numbers that, in the old days, before the rise of the cult of Medavea, one’s light could always be seen from the last all along the Hayomet Road. The cult had razed those lanterns long before Ayos found them. They had turned them into milestones. Carted the stones off for building material.

Ayos pulled the chunk of ice from beneath his cloak. He hurled it toward the camp. Toward the executor’s pavilion. Clerics bustled about the pavilion. Snakes. Snakes in the service of a viper. The ice burst against the scree below. Ayos scowled after it.

“To build stoves!" Hehe ! is a comma here shouted, throwing his hands in the air. "The Lantern of Ayma! Its light will never again welcome a pilgrim to the western shore of the black lake. I was the last. They tore down the tower, used its stones to... to build stoves! You were there, Helstrom. Saw them arrest me when I tried to stop them. Heard them mock me. You told me to strike the one who called me crazy. A madman!"

Ayos pulled himself up onto the strange boulder. He flexed his ankle. Tested its range of movement. It had been forty days since they had banished him. For forty nights he had trekked up to the glaciers and chipped ice to trade for nerkir slop. He had watched the camp bed down and wake for forty-- Something was different.At this stage, sorry -- I'd put the book down. Nothing is happening. It's all back story and, I'm sorry, but I've been given no reason to like Ayos or buy into him. He's grumpy (okay, so he seems to have some reason for it), he talks to himself, he has nothing nice to say about anyone or anything.

It was too early. The moon still passed overhead, yet lanterns glinted from the Hymarom Steps to the ridge that marked the pass down to the Mist Valley. Soldiers marched up a lane that followed the ridge to the head of the Great Stair. In an open-air kitchen between the camp’s tents and the lane, a woman danced. She handed something too small to see to each passing officer. Ayos grinned.

“You remember the tokens, Helstrom? You used to take them from the men. Break them. They called you a prig for that. No executor was so strict.”

The last soldier passed. The woman turned and stirred a kettle that sat on a makeshift stove. Five such stoves dotted the open kitchen, all built from the ruins of the Lantern of Ayma. Smoke trickled from the rubble piled beneath the kettles. The woman ladled something into a bowl. A gust lifted a shawl from her head. Ayos remembered her. An aunt to the Sisters of Kindness.

“She was there, that one. Watching. They were all there. They heard what the soldier called me. Crazy. You made me beat him. I should not have done so. I should not have broken my vows. I might have killed him, had the Lingering Presence not stayed my hand.”

The aunt pushed her hair back beneath her shawl. She took a mug from the stove. Crossed the clearing to the guild's pavilion. It was not the chill air that made Ayos's lip tremble. Not the wind that made him squint.

“It is poison," spat Ayos. "All of it. The cult is a horntail viper. Its teachings are venom. The executors, its fangs. Why will they not let me climb the Hymarom Steps to the Heavenly Ladder? Why?”

Ayos seized a nearby stone. He flung it toward the camp. Glared after it. The aunt returned. Her nieces followed. They gathered around the stoves, clutching layered robes against the brisk air, rubbing tired eyes.

“And this executor, Helstrom, this Gom oc Deoc, no man is as cunning as he. He stole your life from you and threatens to do the same to me, forbidding me to climb. What is life spent outside the Lingering--”

Ayos shot up. He teetered atop the boulder. The aunt was leading the sisters up the lane that climbed the ridge. The ovelyn. The sisters would not leave their pavilion for any other reason.

"The ovelyn comes today!” Ayos shouted. His pulse racing, Ayos clambered off the boulder. Everyone would leave the camp to welcome the Ovelyn. He could light the lantern. What was left of it. Perform the anointing. Become one with Ayma of the Hayom. Ayos hefted the yoke over his neck. He balanced it across his shoulders. Began to pick his way down the slope.[/QUOTE]

I see I wasn't keen the first time -- I like it less this time, sorry. Even less happens, as far as I can see. I don't think I'm the target-reader for you, anyway -- I like faster paced stuff in general -- but I'd like less information (or more subtly exposed information), and a quicker jump into whatever the key part of this scene is. That's the other thing that pulled me up a little - I don't know what the key point of the scene is. If pushed, I'd say it's to drop in the background which, if so, doesn't work for me. So, I'd like a clearer idea of what the scene's about and a little (well, for me a lot) less introspection.

Hm. Looks like I overcorrected based on previous feedback. (Not to question the feedback, only to say that I went too far.) Much too much exposition to hide in the limited action!

Sally Ann, thanks for the kind words. Helstrom is a person from Ayos's past who he is talking to. (Ayos is not entirely sane.) Your point on the nurses was spot on. I'll have to fix that.

Ti, thanks for searching out the rest! The three are indeed the same city. Three different names used by the three cultures introduced, the Medaveans, the gern and the Hayomet pilgrim. It should be understood that all three bits are happening at the same exact time through. As to the step, he hadn't slid all the way down to begin with, which is why, when he hits the boulder, he is still at a high vantage point. I think it might be the term final step - that is his name for the entire valley, not a part of the slope. The pilgrimage is called the Great Stair, though that doesn't come across well here.

Springs, thanks for the markup. I never know how to hang the speech tag on a shout or a yell or whatever else really. It seems to me it needs both the exclamation point and the tag! You're dead on about the exposition. Ugh. The purpose of this chapter is: 1. Gain some sort of investment in character 2. Get character down mountain so he can have his Zarathustra moment.

Bowler, it's been awhile! Unfortunately, this is the first time readers will come across Ayos, so they'll not be invested enough to keep with him through this slog. The short sentences are my Ayos prose pattern. They'll probably be smoothed out some, with enough feedback. (The gern speak has been drawn back considerably in Unkel's new chapters, do to similar feedback.) I want to strike the right balance between making readers work and making the prose engaging.

All, I think I'll do another pass at this starting after he notices the Ovelyn is coming and without him getting hurt as he descends. This should shift everything into a description of manic elation, which hopefully, will be more endearing. Bits that have to persist somehow: Helstrom. The name, Hymarom. A description of the destroyed lantern. The kitchen and the Sisters of Kindness. The Lingering Presence and the Hayom would be referenced, but not given a backstory. The goblins and the detailed descriptions of the step and the city would likely be cut. Sound good?

There's no problem having both the ! and the tag, it's that the tag you used was one based on an action tag, instead of a dialogue tag. So...

Ignore this if I'm teaching you to suck eggs etc.

In dialogue a ! or ? is either a , or . depending on the type of tag you're going to.

If you're going to a dialogue tag eg he said, he shouted, she whispered in a conspiratorial fashion... then the ? or ! is a comma and the tag starts with a non-capitalised word

So:

"I like my dialogue punctuation RIGHT!" she yelled.

If you're going to an action tag then the ? or ! takes the form of a .

So:

"But I suck at everything else to do with grammar." She got up and stalked from the thread.

:D

Just a couple of pointers about the opening:

1. You spend an awful lot of time describing the action of climbing, none of which seems to justify being dragged out as long as it does - I suspect you can cut this down

2. Dialogue - I can't help but feel that instead of giving this character's internal thoughts, you are pushing it into dialogue instead, ie:

"Helstrom!" Ayos shouted, into the wind. "I will not fall! But if I fall, it is better to have fallen to my death sensing the Lingering Presence of the Hayom than to fall from their presence and still live."

For someone who appears to be exhausted, he spends an awful lot of time shouting out things for the benefit of the reader - just the way it reads to me.

There are some nice details in this piece, though - I like them. But, I think it would read stronger if you condensed the opening - we don't need to know every single little detail - allow the reader to fill those in.

A decent enough piece, though I only read up to the part about a goblin camp then had to stop for lack of time.

Springs! Awesome. You've laid low one of my more common uncertainties when writing. I always thought the bang or question mark completed the spoken sentence, so I needed to cap the next (being the tag). Now I know better, and have a quick pass to do over, basically, everything I've ever written. If only I knew when to capitalize a thing now... for instance, I feel the Final Step should be capitalized, because it is a named place, but don't always do so. And many, many other examples.

Brian, you are correct, sir! The first draft of this had almost everything that is being spoken as internal monologue. Helstrom becomes much more important down the line, so I think I'll use a mix of internal thoughts about Helstrom and spoken words to him.

The Goblin bit was fine that I could see. I was wondering how they fitted in, not to be explained currently as it's just a characters POV, so the Goblins added to the suspense for me.
Detailed descriptions you can review.

However!
I'm a big fan of keeping it immediate, like most here. I had a posted section on here before where I had a long intro setting a WWI type scene, where a character thinks he see's something, before going 'psst, I think I see something.'
On Brian's good advice I dropped the intro and started at the 'Psst,' bit, and back filled detail as needed with the action. So bang, right in the action, grabbing the reader by the scruff and dragging them along.
My point being - write for a reader, who has a TV, Xbox, the internet and who knows what else, and always assume they need constant entertaining (world building still has to occur, but question detail when you write it, does it add value, or do I just think it adds value). I always like what you post up here, but I'm always frustrated by the lack of balance in what you write. Made 100 times worse, because I think you have real talent, grrrrr, fume and rant.
Remember, I'm armed with RAY GUNS. Now get to it.

Ayos slid down the shoulder of the final step. Leather buckets swung wildly from a yoke held across his neck. His feet, each bound in a scrap of fleece, slipped through the scree, scattering gravel down the slope. The wind howled against him. It whipped the once white cloak of a pilgrim about his gaunt frame. Flailed his matted locks against his cheeks. Tore at his ragged beard.

His legs wobbled. The thin air bit at his lungs. A half-buried stone caught his foot, and his ankle turned. Ayos spun in the wind. He tumbled against the rocks. Like a hundred armored fists, cobbles pummeled his body. The yoke bounced down the scree behind him, dragging the buckets, spilling ice hacked from a glacier above. Ayos crashed against a peculiar boulder, one of many that dotted the slope. Huddling against the boulder, he pulled the yoke across the loose stones. He pushed the fleece down over his foot. Winced when it crossed his tender ankle. Nasty accident. I tripped and fell on a 45 degree grass slope when I was a boy. Still haven't forgotten it.

The ice burned. Ayos clenched his teeth and looked out over the step's stark landscape. The gray rock upon gray rock, piled up on all sides of a dry lakebed. The sharp white glaciers that divided the gray of the step's It's not too clear what the step is. shoulders from the night sky. The snowcapped peaks that pierced the clouds on either side of the Heavenly Ladder. A grim place, Father Mutebro had called it. A final test meant to prepare the pilgrim for the treacherous climb up the Heavenly Ladder. What's the heavenly ladder? Hope it's explained somewhere.

The camp of the Medaveans, pitched all around the dry lake, began to stir. This is below? Why not say so? Nurses lugged buckets to the cult’s infirmary. A torchlit Is it dark? Climbing in the dark is insane. patrol relieved the soldiers who guarded the steps up to Brackmeer. I hope you explain somewhere what this is. The guards stood on a quay that had once reached into the waters of a black lake. The lake's dry? The war machines are in the lakebed? Could be clearer. The landing now stood among war machines that looked, from where Ayos sat, like a young lord's scattered toys.

Ayos shuddered at the sight of the goblin stronghold, crags of mud and cobble hovels that the goblins had heaped upon the walls and terraces of the ancient city, so that the roof of the first became the floor of the second, a crumbling warren, climbing up into the hollow beneath the step's headwall. Where's this? Is he looking down on it? I'm a bit lost.

"Why would I think of it as Brackmeer?" Ayos asked, shaking his head. "You knew me well, Helstrom. Better than any other. Have I forgotten myself on this mountain?”

A light glimmered deep in the hollow, atop the mound of slums. Ayos's lips, split and bloodied by the bitter air, curled in the shadow of his beard. The glimmer came from the Lantern of Myja, the beacon which marked the base of the Heavenly Ladder. Ayos watched the glimmer dance and remembered each ruined lantern he had passed on his trek up the stair. Each anointing, each reading from the book.

“To build stoves!" He shouted, throwing his hands in the air. "The Lantern of Ayma! Its light will never again welcome a pilgrim to the western shore of the black lake. I was the last. They tore down the tower, used its stones to... to build stoves! You were there, Helstrom. Saw them arrest me when I tried to stop them. Heard them mock me. You told me to strike the one who called me crazy. A madman!"

Ayos pulled himself up onto the strange boulder. He flexed his ankle. Tested its range of movement. It had been forty days since they had banished him. For forty nights he had trekked up to the glaciers and chipped ice to trade for nerkir slop. He had watched the camp bed down and wake for forty-- Something was different.

Ayos shot up. He teetered atop the boulder. The aunt was leading the sisters up the lane that climbed the ridge. The ovelyn. What's that? The sisters would not leave their pavilion for any other reason.

"The ovelyn comes today!” Ayos shouted. His pulse racing, Ayos clambered off the boulder. Everyone would leave the camp to welcome the Ovelyn. He could light the lantern. What was left of it. Perform the anointing. Become one with Ayma of the Hayom. Ayos hefted the yoke over his neck. He balanced it across his shoulders. Began to pick his way down the slope.
I'm intrigued by all this, but I could do with a bit more clarity. What are the steps, and what is this Great Stair? I'm not getting a picture of the layout of this landscape. Why is Ayos scrambling down a scree (in the dark?) instead of using a stable path? I assume Ayos is addressing somebody called Helstrom, and clashing religions are at the back of all this.
I can't see anything in the grammar or use of English to pick on. Those incomplete sentences are clearly a style thing.
Looks promising.

Thanks, Geoff! You're correct about Helstrom and the clashing religions. An Ovelyn is an oracle of sorts and this particular Ovelyn is the POV character from the first chapter. Good questions all about the layout of the place. A few of them would be answered in the first chapter, but not enough. It's confusing. He's gone up the mountain at night, because... hm. He needs to come down the mountain? Not a very good reason. He's been thrown out of the camp, so he lives on the slope, trading ice to melt for water for slop to eat.

If this is the start why not open with him being thrown out of the camp? Wasn't that a fight? Isn't that drama?

glisterspeck

a quick note before i start work (meant to write this last night).

i really liked it. the short abrupt sentences and spoken inner thoughts worked for me to show the mental state and character of Ayos. however, i would like to see him and the language calm down as the chapter progresses, otherwise it could get a bit much.

as others have said, you might need slightly better indication of where the various parts of the landscape are in relation to each other, but i could definitely visualise things.

there was just the right amount of description for me as well. key things were explained but there was enough left out for me to want to read on... and i would definitely read on...

Status
Not open for further replies.