Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Sorry I've not been participating in this discussion much as the OP but I'm horrendously busy and only getting onto the Chrons about once a week.

I,Brian; I know exactly how you feel and I felt the same way at about the same point. But, to be fair, all the stories do have their own conclusions and it all does start fitting together in the second half. However I was still left with a nagging feeling that I had just read such an 'exercise in writing'; I'm just not sure the overall book deserved all that, dare I say, gimmicky writing technique.

Though I did enjoy it and gave it 4/5 stars.

Thanks! Glad you liked it.

As far as Murakami goes, I have The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Norwegian Wood sitting on my shelf, but haven't gotten around to them yet. 1Q84 sort of put me off, though truth be told I've occasionally wanted to go back and read the bits about the cult again--my favorite part of the novel.

Have you read any Roberto Bolano? 2666 may be my favorite novel of all-time, and it's very much in the Murakami/Mitchell vein.

not read it, though i've seen it. Will definitely give it a try and let you know.

Finally finished this and really enjoyed it. A triumph of a novel.

It did feel very slow at about the 1/3 mark, probably not least frustration in thinking the stories were going to be left incomplete. Also, it would have been nice to see more connections between the different characters. I'm not sure how the Frobisher character fits in with the general message of the book either.

Aside from that, excellent writing, a clever story, and though quite long, a real achievement.

This is going to be one of those books I recommend. :)

Watched the film last night and really enjoyed it.

It was interesting to see the way they re-used actors for each period - that created a whole ream of associations I hadn't noticed the in novel. Did I fail to pick up a whole load of subtle references, or was this an addition demanded by the film makers, to help everything look more connected?

Very enjoyable film with a real sense of pace - not least because of how they cut between the periods, sometimes very quickly. I noticed they changed the ending, though - the story was no longer about how we need to conquer our desire to hate to oppress, and instead it was all about ... love? Also noticed the last scene had them off world - whereas in the book I thought they were still on earth, waiting for the world to die?

In other words, the film seemed a little more upbeat!

Fairly typical film makers twists, sounds like Brian. Not seen it myself yet but will probably watch it when it comes on the box.

For me, it was a fabulous read. The above discussion is really around the eternal question: form or content. Obviously form +content win the day, but in visual arts and literature of the 20th-21st centuries there is a heavy emphasis on form as opposed to content. If one takes cubism, dada, abstract art, etc.-form is all and content is at best implied. In music, form predominates and Mitchell's prose to me reads like a Bach fugue -nested motifs, inversions, contrapunkt. I periodically re-read it every year (sometimes more often) and still find many of the passages beautiful and poetic. Sorry for being so gushing, but it is one of the books that really touched me. From personal experience (I have proselytized Cloud Atlas among the unenlightened with little success) I may be in a small minority.

Review Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

How do you even begin to review a book like this?

An absolutely fantastic, well written, creative masterpiece? That will have to do!

For me I cannot talk about the book without first mentioning the film based on it. It was through the movie that I cam to the book. Cloud Atlas was not received that well, and despite looking superb and boasting a stellar cast was considered average by most people who saw it. In this day and age of spectacle and action it was not surprising really. It is a film that you have to sit and watch, to concentrate on and perhaps watch a couple of time to really appreciate the complexities it holds.

I loved it, it seemed to be suited to the way my brain works and it was enough to make me want to read the source material.

The author has likened the book to matryoshka or Russian nesting dolls, each time you remove an outer layer there is another beneath. I can see what he means. Each shell reveals another until you reach the middle then put the whole thing back together again. You could equally claim it is like climbing a step pyramid. Each step takes you to the summit, before descending the other side, ultimately ending where you began.

What seems like a series of individual stories slowly becomes something more as you make your way through the words. Starting with Adam Ewing, a notary sent out into the Pacific to deliver legal documents in the (I guess) 1800's, each story moves through time, to the 1930's, the 1970's, Modern day, the near(ish) future and the post apocalyptic Earth of a distant time.

Each part is told in a different style, be it letters, Journal Entries, a recorded interview. The language changes with the time and the character, to something that is readable but has evolved from our own.

Each character is just that a character, a personality that leaps off the page, while the different stories flit within different genres keeping the pages turning with a life of their own.

Not only is each individual story gripping in their own right, the more you read the more obvious it becomes that they are linked in a multitude of different ways. From a recurring birthmark, to the use of the words Cloud Atlas, to character quirks that might be related to previous stories, and the way each story is enfolded in the next. I could list them all, but to avoid spoilers I'll just mention the first. In the second story, main character Robert Frobisher discovers a batter book, torn in two. It is the Journal of Adam Ewing from the opening part of the book.

There are also little tells, I'm aware of picking up two, but there are countless more, I'm sure waiting to be seen on second, third or fourth readings. (One I spotted is Frobisher has a seeming irrational hatred of doctors, by the time you finish the book it makes sense.)

It is a remarkable achievement of style and the imagination, well written, inventive and not in a manner that might alienate a reader. It is a story of wonder, mundane, of adventure and life, a story of what was and what might be, of lives intersecting, moving apart and coming together again through the generations, it is a story of loss and redemption, over generations. It is a book that looks seriously at the subject of reincarnation, and never once drops the ball.

For me, at least, a modern masterpiece and one of the best books I have ever read.

Re: Review Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Sounds like I need to pick up a copy of this...

Re: Review Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Presently reading it. It's not easy in places, to my mind, but thoroughly enjoyable. Minor spoiler: **I found the writing style in the journal section grated, but was then rewarded by Frobisher (a later character) recounting reading it and questioning the language, so realised it was intentional on the part of the author.**

I'm about a third of the way through and a rich picture is beginning to emerge. I have to concur with Perp's assessment.
Have to say, I loved the film too.

Something that bugged me a little:

In the books, IIRC the lead character in each story has a birthmark shaped like a comet - which I presumed indicated that they were actually the same character, living in different times.

However, in the films they didn't suggest this at all - in fact, the way they used the same actors to reprise similar if different roles seemed to make a lot more sense.

However, did I misunderstand how the birthmark related to the characters?