Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

SFF Chronicles News

Review: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

9th July 2013 09:32 PM

Victoria Silverwolf

Cloud_atlas.jpg

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (2004)

Authors who are considered to be part of the literary mainstream have often produced works which are clearly science fiction. Well known examples include Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale (winner of the first Arthur C. Clarke Award) and Kazuo Ishiguro’s Never Let Me Go (nominated for the Clarke Award as well as the mainstream Man Booker Prize.) Both of these novels have also been adapted into feature films. To this distinguished list we can add David Mitchell’s Cloud Atlas — or at least one third of it.

Cloud Atlas is really six short novels in one. “The Pacific Journal of Adam Ewing” is a historical adventure set in the South Seas in the 1850′s. “Letters From Zedelghem” is a social drama set in Belgium in the 1930′s. “Half-Lives: The First Luisa Rey Mystery” is a violent thriller set in California in the 1970′s. “The Ghastly Ordeal of Timothy Cavendish” is a black comedy set in the United Kingdom in modern times. “An Orison of Sonmi-451″ is high-tech science fiction set in Korea in the near future. “Sloosha’s Crossin’ an’ Ev’rythin’ After” is post-apocalyptic science fiction set in Hawaii in the far future.

Five of the narratives are divided into two parts, with one half preceding the uninterrupted far future section and one half following it. The structure of the book thus resembles a mirror, or perhaps someone climbing a mountain and then descending the other side. The “chapters” appear in this order: 1850′s, 1930′s, 1970′s, modern, near future, far future, near future, modern, 1970′s, 1930′s, 1850′s.

Although the six novellas can be read independently, there are many connections among them. The young man to whom “Letters From Zedelghem” is addressed appears, decades later, as a major character in “Half-Lives.” The protagonist of “An Orison of Sonmi-451″ is worshipped as a goddess in the far future. There are hints, particularly a comet-shaped birthmark shared by various persons, that many of the characters in later sections are reincarnations of characters from previous sections.

Cloud Atlas is more than just a clever way for the author to show his ability to create six very different stories. Each of the novellas, with the possible exception of “Letters From Zedelghem,” deals directly with the oppression of the weak by the strong. At times this seems melodramatic, as in “Half-Lives,” which depicts a giant corporation resorting to multiple murders in order to preserve its profits. Yet there can be no doubt that the author takes his theme seriously, even when he seems to be gently mocking genre fiction.

Mitchell’s two futuristic stories will not seem terribly original to readers familiar with science fiction. “An Orision of Sonmi-451″ deals with enslaved artificial humans (called “fabricants” here, with unmistakable echoes of the “replicants” found in Blade Runner, the film adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick.) The plot of this section of the book would also seem to owe something to Soylent Green, the film version of Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison. The language used in this novella is only slightly different from modern English. All words starting with “ex” have lost the first letter, resulting in words like “xit” and “xactly.” This attempt at futuristic spelling may strike many readers as artificial and unconvincing.

“Sloosha’s Crossin’ an’ Ev’rythin’ After,” as its title implies, is told in a slurred future dialect with a few unfamiliar terms. An infant is a “babbit” and a knife is a “spiker.” This is similar to the dialect used in Russell Hoban’s novel Riddley Walker, also set in the far future after technological civilization has fallen. This section of the book is the most difficult to read, which may diminish the emotional effect it has on the reader.

Despite a slight lack of originality in some of its sections, and the fact that the author’s attempts at future language are not entirely successful, this is a good book, with vivid characters and fine descriptions, told in a variety of styles and moods. Almost every reader will find some sections less to her taste than others, but the overall effect is compelling.

4/5 stars

A book of six stories set in different periods; 1780s, 1930s, 1970s, approximately present day, distant future and far distant future. However the book is more than just a collection of stories; each has references to the earlier story or stories, though these are generally inconsequential. And there is one feature – a distinctive birthmark – that runs through all of them hinting at rebirth or reincarnation; a topic touched on several times in the stories. Also the first five are split around the sixth; the first half of each is read, followed by the sixth in its entirety, followed by the second half of each of the remainder.

A clever literary technique or a gimmick? I’m not sure and probably not qualified to judge. However I do think on occasion Mitchell failed to live up to his ambitions. Each story is told in a totally different style: eighteenth century diary, letters to a friend, cinematic short scenes, thriller, science fiction and far science fiction with modified, degenerated language. The narrative voice and the style are so different that they each could have been written by different authors, and that’s where I think he failed a little; some parts felt a little uneven as though he was still learning to write in that particular style. On the whole, though, he is really quite impressively successful with his adoption of these different styles. However by two thirds through I was beginning to wonder what the point of it all was.

There are strong hints in the final passages of the books. Each story has at its core mankind’s seemingly eternal lust for power and dominance over others through strength of arms or knowledge, deceit and exploitation, politics and money, imprisonment and slavery, propaganda and duplicity. It sounds like grim reading and in a way it is, though each story is counter balanced by, generally, the central (birthmarked) characters resisting the power seekers with naivety, loyalty, courage, honesty, compassion etc. And sadly, for me at least, that was about it for meaning. With all the clever techniques I somehow expected more than yet another exposition on how cruel we can be to each other.

Maybe there is more to it and I just didn’t see it. Don’t get me wrong the stories are enjoyable (though I’m not sure how well some would have stood on their own) and the writing truly excellent in places and never less than very good. So it was a good read but I just expected to get more out of it. In the end it was like my old school reports; “could have done better!”

You did better than me, then, as I couldn't get on with it. This is the note I wrote on my website in March:
The writing is highly accomplished, and his ability to write in different voices is masterful, but having started the third section I've decided it's not for me – the stories are too disjointed and unconnected, and I really don't give a toss about any of the characters. Brilliant writing, particularly in the fictionalised Delius-Eric Fenby situation of the dying composer and his amanuensis, but to my mind it read as an extended exercise in writing technique, not a novel with a heart and soul.
(I think I may have pinched the writing exercise line from HB.)

An extraordinary book, one which can be more admired for the author's ability to write in six different styles and genres than anything else. The 1970's section reads like a rather trashy best-selling thriller, and I have to think this was intentional. The two futuristic sections aren't terribly original for SF readers.

I think that was my problem it was a masterful demonstration of technical writing but I just didn't feel the 'message', or whatever, of the book justified it and it was in danger of becoming little more than an execution of skilled technical writing.

That said I felt much the same as yourself, TJ, and at about the same point and would have been very angry had that been it. However it did come together a lot more on the run through the last half of each story. I feel it would actually have worked better as six simple, sequential, linked stories. Splitting them like that achieved very little for me.

i think he split the stories up like that as a nod towards the eventual screenplay. while it is an unnecessary form in a literary work, it is almost a necessity for continuity purposes within a visual medium. and apropos to nothing, i think it would make for a spectacular graphic novel.

I liked Cloud Atlas but much preferred his earlier book Ghostwritten which also featured 'connecting' stories. I don't quite recall but I think the connections may have been more coherent in it. I think he's a big fan of Murakami

i think he split the stories up like that as a nod towards the eventual screenplay.

I doubt it. At the time of writing it, a film would have been a very remote prospect. I think he structured it like that because he's interested in experimenting with structure -- his first novel, Ghostwritten, was several shorter stories each of which linked in to the next.

I watched the movie and wasn't sure what the whole hype was about except the SFX was good and Tom Hanks with funny looking false teeth made for some quirkiness. I guess it's one of those movies you have to watch about 10 times before it makes sense.

I liked Cloud Atlas but much preferred his earlier book Ghostwritten which also featured 'connecting' stories. I don't quite recall but I think the connections may have been more coherent in it. I think he's a big fan of Murakami

That would make sense, given that Mitchell is/was a long-time resident in Japan and is apparently fluent in Japanese.

But Cloud Atlas is much more coherent than the one Murakami book I've read (1Q84). Maybe the earlier ones are better?

His second novel, Number9Dream, was quite influenced by Murakami and has been criticised by some as being a bit of a Murakami rip-off. (Not least because of the John Lennon connection between Mitchell's title and Murakami's Norwegian Wood.) It's probably my favourite of his books. Again, it's quite playful structurally.

He taught English in Hiroshima for several years, and his wife is Japanese.

That would make sense, given that Mitchell is/was a long-time resident in Japan and is apparently fluent in Japanese.

But Cloud Atlas is much more coherent than the one Murakami book I've read (1Q84). Maybe the earlier ones are better?

Well, I didn't mind IQ84 though, yeah, you wouldn't call it orthodox, but then why are we here. The windup bird chronicle is my favourite of his. Just outstanding and one I'd recommend.

Well, I didn't mind IQ84 though, yeah, you wouldn't call it orthodox, but then why are we here. The windup bird chronicle is my favourite of his. Just outstanding and one I'd recommend.

1Q84 had some brilliant sequences, but overall I felt it was bloated, directionless and was poorly edited. I guess I feel like there was a great novel in there somewhere, but what was published was not a great novel. Here's my review, if you're interested.

1Q84 had some brilliant sequences, but overall I felt it was bloated, directionless and was poorly edited. I guess I feel like there was a great novel in there somewhere, but what was published was not a great novel. Here's if you're interested.

thanks, nice blog you have there. good review and i agree 1Q84 is an overlong book, which would be less of a problem if it was sufficiently enthralling all the way through. i'm never going to remember it in a way that, say, a weighty tome like Dhalgren will remain with me.

you ought to try some of Murakami's others, although you'll find some similar frustrations. I quite like the way his characters will just go and do something everyday and normal, such as cooking "a simple lunch" with ingredients listed, almost aware that the story they're in will eventually catch up and so there's no need to rush. but i can understand how it could be annoying as well. anyway, i particularly liked the wind-up bird chronicle. 1Q84, whilst interesting, pales in comparison.

i've not read many of the other books you've reviewed but glad to see you liked the Player of games and of course UoW which I just love immensely. I also can't fault a choice of Alfred Bester's stars as your no 1 sci-fi masterwork. it probably wouldn't be my no.1 (no idea what would) but it's a great great book as is the demolished man. i'd probably have UBIK and flow my tears as my pk dick choices.

Anyway, cheers, I'll try to check you're blog out again sometime soon.

I'm reading this at the moment - at first absolutely loved the use of voice.

Now I'm on the 5th story and - it's beginning to feel little more than a technical exercise in writing.

There's no real story so far - none of the short ones have any conclusion - and the connections between each so far seem as deep as an after thought.

Where there has been an attempt at a story (the reporter) it's been somewhat cliched and unbelievable. Mitchell invested a lot of stakes and tension in the power plant - but there's no reference to these stakes later, implying the reader wasted time considering them.

I'm fast losing interest now I'm reading the Fabricant tale, because much as I can appreciate technical writing, as a reader I wanted to read a story - not a series of half-stories written simply to show off different usage of voice and format, and have no other point of purpose.

Am I prejudging this too early?

Am I prejudging this too early?

Are you aware of the structure? The stories "nest" -- each of the half-stories has its second half later on, in reverse order. (Apart from the middle one, which is complete.)

thanks, nice blog you have there. good review and i agree 1Q84 is an overlong book, which would be less of a problem if it was sufficiently enthralling all the way through. i'm never going to remember it in a way that, say, a weighty tome like Dhalgren will remain with me.

you ought to try some of Murakami's others, although you'll find some similar frustrations. I quite like the way his characters will just go and do something everyday and normal, such as cooking "a simple lunch" with ingredients listed, almost aware that the story they're in will eventually catch up and so there's no need to rush. but i can understand how it could be annoying as well. anyway, i particularly liked the wind-up bird chronicle. 1Q84, whilst interesting, pales in comparison.

i've not read many of the other books you've reviewed but glad to see you liked the Player of games and of course UoW which I just love immensely. I also can't fault a choice of Alfred Bester's stars as your no 1 sci-fi masterwork. it probably wouldn't be my no.1 (no idea what would) but it's a great great book as is the demolished man. i'd probably have UBIK and flow my tears as my pk dick choices.

Anyway, cheers, I'll try to check you're blog out again sometime soon.

Thanks! Glad you liked it.

As far as Murakami goes, I have The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Norwegian Wood sitting on my shelf, but haven't gotten around to them yet. 1Q84 sort of put me off, though truth be told I've occasionally wanted to go back and read the bits about the cult again--my favorite part of the novel.

Have you read any Roberto Bolano? 2666 may be my favorite novel of all-time, and it's very much in the Murakami/Mitchell vein.