300 Word Writing Challenge #10

SFF Chronicles News

26th August 2013 12:22 AM

Teresa Edgerton

Once again, the victory in our quarterly writing challenge goes to writer Em Tett (known on these forums as Mouse). Each quarter, members are challenged to write a story of 300 words or less, inspired by an image chosen by our moderators. The prize is a voucher for £10 to be spent at Amazon. The image for July appears above, and Em’s winning story below.

All That Glitters

Watching, waiting, looking on and salivating. Rings bling in a window and I won’t go, though Crow said no – said, “Pay for it with your own dough.”

Said I, “But why? Doesn’t fly, that, with me.”

Shiny things in shops, cops watch, can’t rob and no job. I want it all for free, see.

Crow’s a witch, a human-switched bitch. Tight-arsed, two-faced, money-hoarding waste of space. Won’t help, gone home, flown away, left me alone.

Magic rings, the gold sings of castles and kings and things I can’t have. Or need. I won’t leave, I’ll grieve. It’s a tragedy. I concede it’s greed. I have no fingers. Want lingers.

Mustn’t look, mustn’t stay, come again another day. But still I stop outside the shop, longing, yearning, never learning. It’s caught my beady eye. Will I die? Pfft. Not I!

I take to the sky and fly. I’m Magpie.

(Besides, I’ve seen a cat.)

_________
Photo by Ken O’Brien

Back