MARVEL Agents of SHIELD

(No spoilers.) I found the story of #9 to be fairly weak but I thought the episode did a good job of making the plane a bit like Serenity and the crew a bit like "family". So the "what" wasn't as great, especially in terms of the guests, but the "how" and "why" was, especially in terms of the regular cast. It didn't interrupt the string of episodes I feel more positive about than negative (which now stands at four in a row) and the show's off probation (double secret or otherwise). It could falter and go back on, but I'm not thinking about dropping it at the moment.

Possibly interestingly, this was a Tancharoen/(Jed) Whedon-written episode but the recent run of the best episodes were otherwise written by first-time-on-this-show writers whom I'm otherwise unfamiliar with. While the big guns were heavily involved in the opening episodes that were almost universally tepidly received. Odd.

#11 was really pretty good. This show's growing on me - it started so badly and grew so slowly that I almost gave up hope but it's on now. The opening was the stereotypical "see the different skills of the teams contribute their parts to achieving an objective" but it's the kind of thing that needs to be done here and there and that they could do it and have it work was necessarily a good sign. Parts of the "independent Skye" storyline walked a tightrope of silliness but I guess didn't fall over for me. And (spoilers):
I thought the first bad guy interrogating Coulson was a good enough bad guy but he was just setting the stage for flower girl who never impressed me before but I actually sort of got her this time and I thought her getting Coulson to break himself was freakin' brilliant. That was good writing. And, hey, Book! (Or the Barney Miller guy, if you prefer.) I'm glad we've finally brought the "what happened to Coulson?" line into the open - as a mid-season reveal, it's fine and I get it, even if the dialogue actually talking about it didn't really convey the existential horror of the experience). I think it would have been very underwhelming as some kind of Huge Season/Series Finale Reveal!!! but was fine as it was.)
Anyway - I liked this one.

I really enjoy this show. I agree with the commentary on how its really hard to care about Skye at all, but its completely worth watching it for Coulson, Agent May, and the science duo. The episode in april is being made out to be a super huge deal though, itll be interesting to see that.

Serviceable just about sums this show up. And I think that might be its biggest failing. There’s not much in this show that jumps up and smack you in the face as complete and utter *****. The characters are kind of sketchy but just defined enough not to be total ciphers. The plots are okay. The acting’s okay.

It’s a decent enough way to kill 60 minutes, but when you’ve got something better you can pop in or switch over to, it doesn’t really have anything to keep you hooked. Ironically if the show was downright rubbish like Batman and Robin it could at least keep me hooked out of morbid curiosity, but it’s just inoffensive, candy floss TV.

The series also had a rather disturbing ‘Invading privacy and torture are awesome!’ undercurrent running throughout it. Kind of ironic considering that Weadon was attacking that outlook back in Serenity (one wonders if going from a hard pressed TV writer with a propensity for having his shows axed by big corporate networks to the director of a billion dollar movie franchise changed his outlook on society at large).

Whatever your politics it does make raising dramatic tension a little pointless when your protagonists are part of a huge, super powerful spy network with giant flying fortresses and laser guns at their beck and call. Considering some of the plot developments in the latest Captain America movie, it does make you wonder how the show’s going to maintain its status quo and political standing.

After this week's episode, anyone else excited to see how SHIELD ties in with Winter Soldier?
Spoiler: I'm guessing that Simmons interrupting the transmission with Fitz due to some hubbub at the hub may be whatever happens in the movie, considering that Fury is at the Hub And next week's episode is supposed to conclude the tie-in...

And did anyone notice at the end of the episode, the SHIELD logo flips briefly to Cap's shield and then back again?

A better-than-average US TV series (no triumph, most of 'em are drek) that has moments of genius.

My favourite moment is a rather exasperated Coulson in the Dark World tie-in episode wishing that the Asgardians had a god of clearing up afterwards. Made me chuckle.

The early run had some very bland episodes, but they seem to have picked up.

I'm getting very tired of the 'hidden evil organisation' that pops up in virtually every US series with a hint of fantasy/horror/sci-fi, though.

The show is dragging itself along, hint after hint after hint. Threats being set up for a possible second series, which I hope for its sake it improves on the first one vastly. SHIELD has a potential to tell stories that no one else can tell, they could introduce so many Superhero's and Villans, AIM, HYDRA (disbanded my fat flowery hat an they are!) and this Centepede.

But on the up side the last few episodes have shown promise, fun fast paced and with Coulson's Tahiti dealt with, maybe we can get on with the story that I suspect is being reeled out.

Threats set up, Gravitron, an Iceman clone (he has some of the same powers it appears) Deathlok (hes going to take someone with power to take down) and we still dont know who the Clairvoyant is. But most of all the steadily more Militaristic tone of SHEILD itself. The above the lawness of the organisation, hints of which go back to Iron man 2 and THOR.

I am looking forward to the Season ending, if it gets another season, I really dont know. Maybe Marvel will push it or will put it on Netflix like its other Superhero films are going to be presented.

It has taken longer than I thought to start caring about the characters on the show and episodes 13/14 helped with that.

I do believe its heading the right way. And the introduction of Deadlokadds a nee dimension to the show. So I will keep keep my fingers crossed.

I'm enjoying this, but it's been a bit of slow burner. I think the main problem for me is that Skye just isn't that interesting a character. She's a bit cliched and just not had the chance to become more than that. The surrounding characters are much more interesting to me.

In a not-very-surprising move, it seems that Amy Acker has been cast in the second series.

The following will contain spoilers for the ep shown on Friday and for Thor 2, so I'll try to hide it. Apologies if I get it wrong.

Lady Sif mentioned that this was set after the dark elves had invaded and also that she'd been sent by Odin. This means that ep of SHIELD comes after the events of Thor 2. So as far as I remember Odin isn't really Odin - he's Loki. So what would Loki be doing sending Lady Sif to help the humans? Or have I got this wrong?

Lady Sif mentioned that this was set after the dark elves had invaded and also that she'd been sent by Odin. This means that ep of SHIELD comes after the events of Thor 2. So as far as I remember Odin isn't really Odin - he's Loki. So what would Loki be doing sending Lady Sif to help the humans? Or have I got this wrong?

Indeed, this raises questions, of course what would ODIN want with such a mistress of deception?

For those who have seen THOR2 I post spoilers below.

Sounds like she might have got away during the kerfufle of the Dark elf incursion. BUT it seems she has prior knowledge of Loki's pathways, Hmm not very comon knowledge is it? Which raises an intriguing thought, was she sent? Did Loki break her out after he took the all fathers identity? No real time scale was said just that it happend after the incursion. I think we havent seen the last of this particular lady. I'm sure Loki will have eyes on earth how that will work out remains to be seen.

Plans within plans seem to be unfolding......the pace has been a tad slow, should have had all this at the mid season then unleashed the madness in the second half of the season. Its a fine ballance, odd that the Kree were mentioned as a blue skinned race..

I love this series. Although I have not been diligent in seeing the films so that kind of puts a kink in it. This whole Hydra thing has me extremely upset. I'm so tortured.

Very much enjoying this! Coulson is one of my favourite characters; I love how polite he is.

Loving how they're, like with the films, weaving the plots together so well with the wider universe, and using characters from the films (yay, Sif!) and the comics. Was very excited to see Garrett in the last couple of episodes, he's a favourite character from the 80s Elektra Assassin series.

But yes, after seeing Captain America last weekend, I'm very interested in seeing where the series is going to go now! It seems the episode I'm watching now heads straight into the film, considering that Sitwell was in the episode at the start and said he had a "boat to catch".

Also I hope it is a blue skinned Kree that was the tubed alien, because that would be a great way to move into a Captain Marvel film! Carol Danvers, preferably. Katee Sackoff always gets a little elusive whenever she's asked about a Captain Marvel film, as she's rumoured as a candidate, so there's some hope...

Not seen any Marvel films, (other than Iron Man, I think), so I'm a bit lost on that but I really do like the major plot twists they're willing to put in.

Coulson made some astute observations (I know that's vague but I don't want to risk spoiling it). Very nicely written plot.

On Sackoff, I'm just watching the second series of Battlestar Galactica (11pm on Mondays, on Pick). Really like her as Starbuck.

I think this week is the series ender here in the UK. overall this series has taken a huge amount of time to get going, lots set up, lots planned from what I can tell, but if its going to make a third season its going to have to really pull its socks up!

Season 1 in my opnion has almost no re watch value. Maybe one or two of the later episodes were worth watching again, but, mainly it has plodded on at a snails pace.

What I want from season 2? COSTUMES! I want to see Superpower's! I want to see Daredevil make a guest appearance, I want Iron Fist, Power Man any just about anyone who can be pulled up fromt he dreggs of the Marvel Universe, whats wrong with the Dr Strange, they have the rights cmon have some imagination. :mad:

Last week's episode was number 17 out of 22; this will be #18. Episode 19 is being shown next week, so we're not done yet. (According to Wiki, episodes 21 and 22 have not yet been broadcast in the US.)

Last week's episode was number 17 out of 22; this will be #18. Episode 19 is being shown next week, so we're not done yet. (According to Wiki, episodes 21 and 22 have not yet been broadcast in the US.)

Feels a bit faint and sways a bit, good lord, this must be the longest series I have ever watched! :eek: Maybe it's the breaks they put in for the American schedule... I still stand by my comments, its going to have to seriously improve to be taken seriously! May have to have a look at that wiki! :D