Using existing places

Mouse

Yes, I know this question gets asked a lot and it's very boring and the answer's always the same but I'm asking again.

I'm very near the end of my romance and my MCs are now on Dartmoor, when my grand finale's gonna take place. I want them to stop over at a place called Warren House Inn: Warren House Inn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , Warren House Inn - History

Now, can I just call it Warren House Inn or can I rename it? It was originally called New House Inn, so I'm wanting to call it that. And I want to put in the legends about it (especially the one about the salted corpse. My MC is a psychic after all), so would that be ok? To rename it and use the story?

Plus, can I add my own legend about other corpses or is that a no?

Ta.

I'd be tempted to ask the pub; I doubt they'd mind. In fact you might get some publicity from it. Even if you rename it, it's likely it will still be recognised (by way of the legend). They're less likely to get all annoyed at a later date if you send them a quick email (or better yet, nip round there).

Just had a thought, don't make it out to be the next best-seller - even if it is, cos they'll probably want money! :D

I had this recently about the sea caves. I named then, in the end, and made up some stuff about the gardens. I think, provided you're not slating the palce, you'll get away with it.

I might rename it. I want it to be an actual Inn with rooms and I think it's just a pub as it is at the mo.

I've used the Three Cups hotel in Lyme too in this WiP, but that's just an empty building now. I've not named it, just said where it is.

In this case, the location is a public place that, one would assume, wants to attract customers.

As long as it's simply used as a setting in your book (so no-one associated with the "fictional" inn does anything remotely iffy), you should be okay.

I'm thinking maybe a bit of Ouija-ing but nothing iffy.

Who's Ouija-ing? If they're members of staff or the licensee, that might be an issue.

If everyone involved in the Ouija-ing arrived from elsewhere and is only using the inn because it's convenient, or has some past history**, or both, then you should be fine.

** - Stuff that's known about now, rather than stuff you have to make up.

Interesting issue. I recall a video game back in the 90s, the first in the Gabriel Knight Shadowhunter series, (there were maybe two IIRC), that used a place called the Napoleon House, a pub in New Orleans, as a location.

Turns out to be a real place. I don't know if they asked permission or not. Also if that's legally advisable even for places like Disneyland or large malls, should you happen to use them in a story.

Does anyone know the answer from a legal standpoint?

You can use real places as long as there's nothing said or done which is potentially defamatory, ie would cause ordinary people to think badly about the place or anyone connected with it (ie owners, staff, residents) -- eg if in the story the manager refused accomodation to a gay couple, that would be a big no-no.

But, using their stories might be seen as something else, even if they are widely known. Like taking someone else's plot for your book. It might not be actual breach of copyright, or theft, or whatever, but it might leave a bad taste. (On the other hand, if the pub got all shirty and raised Cain when the book comes out, just think of the publicity!)

Why not? It's a legend (or tall tale) already associated with the real place.

We're talking about it here and now (and we're real people), so I can't see why your characters can't mention it.

Cool. Basically I'm gonna use the pub as an Inn for a stopover so the boys can find out where a dead body is (which is buried on the moors somewhere), so I thought some Ouija action may be in order, then that's where the pub's stories were gonna come into it.

I've not said a lot about the place other than it smells of old wood and booze. I've made up the upstairs. Short scene there and then move on, I think.

If you want to capture the atmosphere, you could always do some on-site research.

Yeah, I was pondering going there but knowing me, I'd get very lost.